Player Discussion Patrik Laine

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Rob Sense

Apr 26, 2015
I think this move is a breath of fresh air for Laine. In his video he said he worked on being better at dealing with situations. I think he gets down on himself too much. Now here in Mtl with MSL...good RH centers and a hockey crazy city will energize Laine to have a rebound year for the ages!

Last edited:

m0rkoli

Jan 3, 2019
I like this. Translated version from:

Patrik Lainee's revelation about his mental health problems: "I couldn't enjoy life"​

Markus Nuutinen 11.09.2024 2:25 pm
aop_LainePatrik_20240830

Kuva: All Over Press

Patrik Laine gets to turn a new page in his life after he and his spouse moved to Montreal, where the goaltender will continue his NHL career in the shirt of the legendary Canadiens.

Laine, who suffered from mental health problems and signed up for the NHL's treatment program last season, reveals in an interview he gave to the NHL's Finnish website that he had lost his zest for life for a long time.

Laine, who bravely sought help for her problems, reveals that she was in deep water before the man decided to end the game.

- I wasn't able to enjoy life for a long time, but now I'm happier outside the rink than ever. I have worked a lot so that I can now look forward to playing in a new team, new teammates and a new city, Laine says about his difficult times.

- I've learned a lot in the last couple of years, and now is a good time to test how the lessons work in practice.

Laine's next promise, who has put his mental health in order, will at least make Canadiens fans rub their hands before the new season.

- The puck gets a hard ride again, so there are no problems. There is nothing to worry about in terms of body and mood. The whole package is really good now, Laine swears.

The Canadiens will play their first regular season game of the upcoming season on October 10, when they will host the arch-nemesis Toronto Maple Leafs.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Laine is another player for who it's going to be really interesting what kind of player he is and who he has the most chemistry with.

He's by all accounts a player that likes to dominate the puck, and is actually a player, not just a player that finds soft ice and shoots. So, in the end he actually may be a good linemate for Caufield, even though they both shoot right.

Also, he may not fit with Dach, who I would argue is our player from last year who is most puck dominant. Sometimes two players that like to have the puck on their stick a lot aren't a good fit on the same line. Laine may fit better with Suzuki. Suzuki can dominate the puck when he wants to. But he can do everything else well, so I imagine he can adjust to his linemates.

Reactions: Farmboy Patty

themilosh

Sponsor
Apr 27, 2015
Oakville, ON
Laine is another player for who it's going to be really interesting what kind of player he is and who he has the most chemistry with.

He's by all accounts a player that likes to dominate the puck, and is actually a player, not just a player that finds soft ice and shoots. So, in the end he actually may be a good linemate for Caufield, even though they both shoot right.

Also, he may not fit with Dach, who I would argue is our player from last year who is most puck dominant. Sometimes two players that like to have the puck on their stick a lot aren't a good fit on the same line. Laine may fit better with Suzuki. Suzuki can dominate the puck when he wants to. But he can do everything else well, so I imagine he can adjust to his linemates.
Im expecting Laine to be somewhere inbtw Kovalev and Vanek.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
92 - 13 - 14
20 could be on the half wall and 14 in front of the net/setting people up from the goal line. Regardless, I hope there is a lot of movement on the ice. That seemed to confuse the opposition last year.

Figured they would try this first yeah

Wonder how they configure it

There was just no way you don't have Laine PP1

Looks like Dach-Newhook-Roy-Hutson-someone, probably Gallagher, will be PP2,

Not bad
MSL likes his vets, and Matheson in particular.

Hutson will get his chance if he shows a lot on the 2nd unit and 5 on 5. Also nice to have Hutson there in case Matheson goes down or is himself in th box.

Reactions: HabzSauce

Ozmodiar

Oct 18, 2017
20 could be on the half wall and 14 in front of the net/setting people up from the goal line. Regardless, I hope there is a lot of movement on the ice. That seemed to confuse the opposition last year.
13 and 92 would be the primary trigger-men, one timers. The passers would be either NS moving low (forehand) or Slaf moving high (forehand) - one should be able to find a lane. If not, the 2 could switch… from there, there’s a few ways to feed Slaf.

And that’s just the tip of the iceberg. Should be fun.

Naslundforever

43-67-110
Aug 21, 2015

MSL likes his vets, and Matheson in particular.

Hutson will get his chance if he shows a lot on the 2nd unit and 5 on 5. Also nice to have Hutson there in case Matheson goes down or is himself in th box.
Unless I’m wrong on pp2 you want D that matches up an opposing well-rested offensive line after they are done with their pk. Might want to switch up Hutson and Matheson just for that and have Guhle hop on 5v5.

Reactions: 26Mats

Ozmodiar

Oct 18, 2017
Unless I’m wrong on pp2 you want D that matches up an opposing well-rested offensive line after they are done with their pk. Might want to switch up Hutson and Matheson just for that and have Guhle hop on 5v5.
I think pp2 will be 3F2D.

… and when the PP ends they’ll be on against the PK’ers +1.

Reactions: Naslundforever

Rob Sense

Apr 26, 2015
A good episode with David St. Louis mainly on Laine:

I watched this and St-Louis provides a really good assessment of Laine in the Habs' context. I agree with him that they have a dilemma on the left half-board on PP1. For Laine to thrive that is his spot...however it is also Caufield's position. MSL will have to navigate this one wisely if he wants both players to succeed. The problem with spreading them out on PP1 and PP2 is that one will get less opportunities but the overall success of the powerplay could increase. Maybe swap PP1 starts with PP2 :laugh: on odd/even days??? This is important since how often have we had 2 bonafide trigger men on the left wing? IF MSL can optimize their deployment then we should have a lot of highlight reel one-timers!

HabzSauce

Jun 10, 2022
I watched this and St-Louis provides a really good assessment of Laine in the Habs' context. I agree with him that they have a dilemma on the left half-board on PP1. For Laine to thrive that is his spot...however it is also Caufield's position. MSL will have to navigate this one wisely if he wants both players to succeed. The problem with spreading them out on PP1 and PP2 is that one will get less opportunities but the overall success of the powerplay could increase. Maybe swap PP1 starts with PP2 :laugh: on odd/even days??? This is important since how often have we had 2 bonafide trigger men on the left wing? IF MSL can optimize their deployment then we should have a lot of highlight reel one-timers!
Maybe Caufield plays left bumper and Laine plays left half board. he's got a really good shot in tight. They could also switch up to so if Laine finds a lane to the middle and carries the puck there, caufield can sneak into left hand wall as an extra option on the fly.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Indeed.
The point I was making was more about having lost his passion for the game not what caused it.
If I had to guess Laine was probably already struggling before losing his Dad.
That event put him at rock bottom and was likely the event that sent him towards player assistance.
I just hope it doesn't reappear this season.

Reactions: Rapala

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Maybe Caufield plays left bumper and Laine plays left half board. he's got a really good shot in tight. They could also switch up to so if Laine finds a lane to the middle and carries the puck there, caufield can sneak into left hand wall as an extra option on the fly.

I think they try a few things but the 1st thing they try is probably two PP units.

* Hutson and Matheson on separate units
* Dach and Suzuki on separate units
* Laine and Caufield on separate units

Guys like Newhook, Roy can gets some PP time and not be on a island by themselves on the 2nd unit.

Reactions: HabzSauce and CDN24

Ozmodiar

Oct 18, 2017
I agree with him that they have a dilemma on the left half-board on PP1. For Laine to thrive that is his spot...however it is also Caufield's position. MSL will have to navigate this one wisely if he wants both players to succeed.
The guy in the video says it’s a dilemma … however, I’ll bet MSL is salivating at the possibilities.

Imagine the D (and goalie) not knowing if Suzuki is going to pass or shoot … and then, not knowing which sniper is the passing target.

Reactions: Farmboy Patty

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad