Player Discussion Patrik Laine

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
Don't think its just Bettman, NHLPA has a word on this, maybe TV contracts, etc.

Exactly and Bettman works for the Board of Governors who are the ones who are actually calling the shots. The fact that so few fans actually understand Bettman's role yet are still so loud and obnoxious with their vitriol against him is embarrassing.

Is Bettman complicit with the owner's agendas and agreements that the NHLPA and the BOG have come to?.....Of course he is but him shouldering all of the blame from the fans speaks to their lack of understanding that sports fans in general have about the business/political side of the game. Just tribal ranting from the mob for the most part.

Farmboy Patty

Senior Hockey Analyst
Nov 2, 2017
Hi, foreigner new on this board. I am first a huge fan of the most beautiful and great sport on planet earth, and secondly a fan of players and then teams in that order.

I’ve been a fan of PL since the first time I saw him playing at the world juniors. He had the exact same impact on me as Zlatan Ibrahimovic did when he entered the stage.

Every time they touch the puck/ball I expect the unexpected, which is what corner will they put in, in a filthy way.

I already know that I’ll be critically sleep deprived by the start of the play offs. My guess is that the Habs will squeak in. I haven’t found a support line for hockey addiction yet 😅

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
Hi, foreigner new on this board. I am first a huge fan of the most beautiful and great sport on planet earth, and secondly a fan of players and then teams in that order.

I’ve been a fan of PL since the first time I saw him playing at the world juniors. He had the exact same impact on me as Zlatan Ibrahimovic did when he entered the stage.

Every time they touch the puck/ball I expect the unexpected, which is what corner will they put in, in a filthy way.

I already know that I’ll be critically sleep deprived by the start of the play offs. My guess is that the Habs will squeak in. I haven’t found a support line for hockey addiction yet 😅
If Laine can stay healthy, this board is going to be one happy place !!!
The main boar however, will continue to be the cesspool of hate towards the Habs....lol

This kid is one heck of a player........doesn't matter what sweater he has on. If he puts it all together this year, and next year, wow we are in for some fun.

HabsDood

We're the best
Jun 30, 2008
Montreal

New since 2017 :sarcasm:

Marioesque

Oct 7, 2021

I know that if there's anyone as excited as me about this new start for Patty, that would be you.

High five!

Marioesque

Oct 7, 2021
I found this new video pretty encompassing

I can imagine the guys flexing their international accolades in the habs dressing room, until Patty comes along. 16 year old Patty did everything far better than you did, kid. Whoever you are.

Laine won U20 gold, was the best player in that tournament (puljujarvi got the honors instead of the 2 superior players Aho and Laine in his line)

Laine broke the playoff scoring record in Finnish league, he was MVP of playoffs for Finnish league as a teenager. Not even Selanne did that.

Laine was the MVP in mens World championships. 17 year old Laine was better than Connor McDavid at 19 in that tournament.

I met Saku Koivu in person when he was 16 (pitsiturnaus), he was not an efficient member of his hockey club at that age. He was all the rage, we knew he was gonna be great, but he was a rather unremarkable kid at 16. Saku became one of the biggest reasons why Finland won so much through 94-06.

Laine as a 16-17 year old broke Finnish league playoff record of goals, and most of them were from ridiculous distance and often right at the end of time, he tied or won games in last seconds. For me, that taught me you should always try to set up a chance for Laine to shoot, because there's never been anyone better at delivering that shot.

Laine has Always been a better player than his rival Auston Matthews. Laine has always won the head to head. U20 to NHL. Matthews never beats Laine head to head. Prove me wrong. Show head to head data.

There is only one person who shoots with that accuracy. Patrik Laine.

I grew up idolizing Koivu and Selanne, but as an old man now, I can easily tell that Laine is the biggest Finnish talent so far.

His best friend Sasha Barkov just hoisted the cup. I can't be more happy for Sasha for winning it. He's the best 2 way player in the world (not arguable, he has Selke and Stanley). Barkovs best friend Patty is at least offensively far better.

Can't stress enough how much I want him to stay in one piece. He's a ridiculous talent when available

At some point Sasha Barkov said that after every team practice, Laine stayed out to take hundreds of shots after each practice, daily.

So when people tell me about "lazy Laine" I can't take them seriously. You do not become the greatest of all time in shooting pucks, unless you work on it more than anyone else. He has done that.

Last edited:

bsl

Oct 9, 2009
Let’s settle down a bit lol. He might have an argument of Top 5 shot in his era, but definitely not all time. Off the top of my head, Ovechkin, Matthews, Pastrnak and possibly Stamkos are ahead of him just in this era.
Bossy

Reactions: BJCOLLINS

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
I found this new video pretty encompassing

I can imagine the guys flexing their international accolades in the habs dressing room, until Patty comes along. 16 year old Patty did everything far better than you did, kid. Whoever you are.

Laine won U20 gold, was the best player in that tournament (puljujarvi got the honors instead of the 2 superior players Aho and Laine in his line)

Laine broke the playoff scoring record in Finnish league, he was MVP of playoffs for Finnish league as a teenager. Not even Selanne did that.

Laine was the MVP in mens World championships. 17 year old Laine was better than Connor McDavid at 19 in that tournament.

I met Saku Koivu in person when he was 16 (pitsiturnaus), he was not an efficient member of his hockey club at that age. He was all the rage, we knew he was gonna be great, but he was a rather unremarkable kid at 16. Saku became one of the biggest reasons why Finland won so much through 94-06.

Laine as a 16-17 year old broke Finnish league playoff record of goals, and most of them were from ridiculous distance and often right at the end of time, he tied or won games in last seconds. For me, that taught me you should always try to set up a chance for Laine to shoot, because there's never been anyone better at delivering that shot.

Laine has Always been a better player than his rival Auston Matthews. Laine has always won the head to head. U20 to NHL. Matthews never beats Laine head to head. Prove me wrong. Show head to head data.

There is only one person who shoots with that accuracy. Patrik Laine.

I grew up idolizing Koivu and Selanne, but as an old man now, I can easily tell that Laine is the biggest Finnish talent so far.

His best friend Sasha Barkov just hoisted the cup. I can't be more happy for Sasha for winning it. He's the best 2 way player in the world (not arguable, he has Selke and Stanley). Barkovs best friend Patty is at least offensively far better.

Can't stress enough how much I want him to stay in one piece. He's a ridiculous talent when available

At some point Sasha Barkov said that after every team practice, Laine stayed out to take hundreds of shots after each practice, daily.

So when people tell me about "lazy Laine" I can't take them seriously. You do not become the greatest of all time in shooting pucks, unless you work on it more than anyone else. He has done that.

I don't think there is any doubt he lost his love for the game somewhere along the way.
I brought it up early on in the Laine trade thread "I didn't think Laine liked playing Hockey" that didn't go over too well with some.
He's in a good position to get it all back and then go on to sign a team friendly with Florida to be with his Bro.

Why did you have to go and bring Barkov up. :laugh:

Reactions: Marioesque

bsl

Oct 9, 2009
Glad he landed in a Canadian market again. If he can reach his potential he is an all star. He is an enigma. Nobody really knows why he stopped scoring at will. November 2019 he scored 5 goals in one game, then went on to have a very disappointing season. If he's not playing well, you'll notice the play die on his stick and he won't move his feet. When he's playing well you'll notice him using his hands and trying to make plays. I'll be cheering for him.
As they say. He’s an inemgma wrapped in a mystery.

bsl

Oct 9, 2009
It’s their job to be boring.

That’s insane.

Can’t imagine the media reaction if that came out.

Noted bust: Rocket Richard

AI gonna put us all out of work.
Ai will never put us out of work. Can’t do poetry. Can’t laugh. No worries.

Reactions: Farmboy Patty

tazsub3

May 30, 2016
I don't think there is any doubt he lost his love for the game somewhere along the way.
I brought it up early on in the Laine trade thread "I didn't think Laine liked playing Hockey" that didn't go over too well with some.
He's in a good position to get it all back and then go on to sign a team friendly with Florida to be with his Bro.

Why did you have to go and bring Barkov up. :laugh:
You know losing your father can do that to many people .
Heck I speak out of experience. Needs time and sometimes more than time .
I am confident he is in the right environment to rediscover that love

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
8 wins if you expect that we maintain that 16 OTL pace which is highly doubtful.
RW and ROW are where it is at when looking at making the post season.
The 4 point games within the conference will always tell the tale of the tape.

If I was forced to bet, I'd say we have a pick from 10-15 range (pre lottery). We are in the group mix that falls short.

I think team D will be more important than team offense if we are sneaking in. But our D is too young at this point... Difficult for us to go from 5th last in team D to top 10.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
MSL + Laine is going to be a great combination.

Mr Negative side of things: Laine will score goals but cause turnovers and MSL gets frustrated with Laine's ability to comprehend when to take chances and when not too. Laine's biggest area of growth is maturity and puck management and it continues with Montreal.

Mr Postitive side of things: Laine regains his star potential as a 2nd OA pick behind Matthews because he is able to comprehend MSL coaching and he has talent to work with. Has his best NHL season so far in his career.

The more I think about this, the more I focus on the puck management side of things. Remember, how Slaf struggled in this area? He worked hard at it and listened to MSL's coaching in a way where he was able to overcome it. This will be Laine's biggest test in a top 6 role and PP usage.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Mr Negative side of things: Laine will score goals but cause turnovers and MSL gets frustrated with Laine's ability to comprehend when to take chances and when not too. Laine's biggest area of growth is maturity and puck management and it continues with Montreal.

Mr Postitive side of things: Laine regains his star potential as a 2nd OA pick behind Matthews because he is able to comprehend MSL coaching and he has talent to work with. Has his best NHL season so far in his career.

The more I think about this, the more I focus on the puck management side of things. Remember, how Slaf struggled in this area? He worked hard at it and listened to MSL's coaching in a way where he was able to overcome it. This will be Laine's biggest test in a top 6 role and PP usage.
I'm probably most positive person on Laine upcoming season. He had good numbers in Colombus before last season. Even though that was bad team without a high end center. I don't know much about this mental illness stuff. Our family we generally upbeat and happy go lucky. It probably be only thing to take him down.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
You know losing your father can do that to many people .
Heck I speak out of experience. Needs time and sometimes more than time .
I am confident he is in the right environment to rediscover that love
Indeed.
The point I was making was more about having lost his passion for the game not what caused it.
If I had to guess Laine was probably already struggling before losing his Dad.
That event put him at rock bottom and was likely the event that sent him towards player assistance.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad