Player Discussion Patrik Laine

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

behemolari

worst collapse in nhl history
Dec 1, 2011
I asked chatgpt to consider acquiring Patrik Laine + 2nd for Jordan Harris. Do keep in mind chatgpt is trained on dated data. I did not provide other context like long-term vs short-term goals etc.
ask it when Leafs will win the cup

Last edited:
Reactions: Boss Man Hughes

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Some interesting takes coming out of Columbus. They spoke about Pascal Vincent always being a big Laine supporter.
The relationship soured when Vincent was forced to healthy scratch him which eventually led to his trade demands.
They also spoke about his demeanor when he wasn't scoring particularly his body language "he wasn't pleasant to be around".
It was also mentioned that an issue he had with the team was he would flat out stop shooting when the puck wasn't going in.
There was more behind Hughes stressing other things he can contribute besides scoring goals than originally meets the eye.

Last edited:

MagicalDeck

Mar 17, 2006
ask it when Leafs will win the cup
Obviously ChatGpt has been hanging out with Leafs fans:

"Predicting when the Toronto Maple Leafs will win the Stanley Cup is challenging. They last won in 1967 and have faced many ups and downs since. While they have a strong roster and passionate fanbase, success in the NHL playoffs can be unpredictable. It could happen soon, but there's no way to know for sure. Fans are hoping it will be sooner rather than later!"

KevSkillz4

Apr 11, 2016
The trade is kinda similar with Monahan. We pretty much got him for free. if Laine can stay healthy, he would be a very good player for us.

I think the difference, Hughes and Gorton maybe really want to see him with Habs more than 2 years.

Imagine having Ilya Kovalchuk at 26 years old, you want him more than 2 years with Habs.

When healthy, Laine is a Kovalchuk type of player, 100%. Same skillset. Same scoring machine.

MSL and environnement of MTL will benefit to Laine!!

rahad

Feb 3, 2016
montreal
I think the difference, Hughes and Gorton maybe really want to see him with Habs more than 2 years.

Imagine having Ilya Kovalchuk at 26 years old, you want him more than 2 years with Habs.

When healthy, Laine is a Kovalchuk type of player, 100%. Same skillset. Same scoring machine.

MSL and environnement of MTL will benefit to Laine!!
Yeah.... I'm not so sure about that comparison. Kovalchuk is way more talented and a better player. Prime Kovalchuk has a beast on the ice. Multiples 40 goals+.

The goal is to see what he does in the next 2 years. He barely played last year (kinda like Dach). We probably need to lower our expectation of him and Dach a little bit. They are coming back from major injury and will probably need 5-15 games to be in NHL shape.

It will also depend on what kind of contract Laine want. I don't see him taking discount for us. We will also need to safe money for our next young core (Demidov, Hutson, Reinbacher and 2025 first round pick).

KevSkillz4

Apr 11, 2016
Yeah.... I'm not so sure about that comparison. Kovalchuk is way more talented and a better player. Prime Kovalchuk has a beast on the ice. Multiples 40 goals+.

The goal is to see what he does in the next 2 years. He barely played last year (kinda like Dach). We probably need to lower our expectation of him and Dach a little bit. They are coming back from major injury and will probably need 5-15 games to be in NHL shape.

It will also depend on what kind of contract Laine want. I don't see him taking discount for us. We will also need to safe money for our next young core (Demidov, Hutson, Reinbacher and 2025 first round pick).

I'm just really confident that a Laine with environnement like MTL and coach like MSL, he will just truly shine and reach his full potential.

He can dominate the game like Kovalchuk did. Ok he don't have the career of Kovalchuk, but his talent, close to him!

Reactions: SwiftyHab

calder candidate

Feb 25, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
Is there any penalty for being over before LTIR stuff? Or is the goal to be cap compliant when the season starts
You can use LTIR before the season start but if you do you can’t accrue cap space during the season and there some implication with all bonus being transferred to the following season. It is better to be cap compliant with price in the line up on day one.

KevSkillz4

Apr 11, 2016
I like the idea of a line of Slaf - Suzuki - Laine.

Two great playmaker like Slaf and Suzuki with Laine, wow!

Laine can teach to Slaf how to score more goals!!

Reactions: David Suzuki

Lazytrout

Dec 8, 2021
after the shit show he went through in Columbus I think Laine will appreciate a good environement, msl is the player's coach and guys like CC make the lockerroom a brighter place.

I'll keep my expectation relatively low but I am hopeful for a bounceback year. If everything clicks it would be incredible to watch him thrive.

jonu

Dec 11, 2014
Moon
Some interesting takes coming out of Columbus. They spoke about Pascal Vincent always being a big Laine supporter.
The relationship soured when Vincent was forced to healthy scratch him which eventually led to his trade demands.
They also spoke about his demeanor when he wasn't scoring particularly his body language "he wasn't pleasant to be around".
It was also mentioned that an issue he had with the team was he would flat out stop shooting when the puck wasn't going in.
There was more behind Hughes stressing other things he can contribute besides scoring goals than originally meets the eye.

Apart from the first point, everything else seems like conjecture.

He was "healthy" scratched a week after rushing back from concussion, on the anniversary of his fathers passing no less.

He is very self-critical, he did sometimes break a stick if he felt he played bad.

From my observation, the stop shooting thing is complete bs. He was taking shot attempts per game around the same amount as in WPG.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
If I was Jackets I would retained on Laine to get superior return. It would open up more teams involved. Had to be the money. This way they just gave him away

Aurinko

Apr 1, 2015
Finland
after the shit show he went through in Columbus I think Laine will appreciate a good environement, msl is the player's coach and guys like CC make the lockerroom a brighter place.

I'll keep my expectation relatively low but I am hopeful for a bounceback year. If everything clicks it would be incredible to watch him thrive.
It should be a match.

Considering the gossips that Laine was rejected by other CBJ players, it's good to remember that he played solid 2-way game the last couple of seasons while being there. After being though all of that you could assume he has some inner fire for a career rebound.

Reactions: Lazytrout

OneSharpMarble

Oct 30, 2007
Calgary
Lets be clear. There is risk, quite a lot of it. Montreal wouldn't have gotten a pick as well in the trade if there wasn't. Its just that the risk is less to Montreal (a team that had salary flexibility, revenues to support high salary costs and, despite fan complaints to the contrary, ownership who has been willing to spend on risks consistently) than basically any other team in the NHL.

We'll see how Montreal's rebuild turns out, but its clear HuGo will consistently take risks in this rebuild so long as they're managed.

There is a risk to Laine, but Montreal was in a position where, worst case scenario, they lost the use of cap space they were unlikely to be able to use anyways. To other teams it may have meant moving other players or operating in the red.
Wow there is so much risk you don't even say what any of it is! Oh man look out for all of this imaginary risk!

The pick is more about sweetening the pot for Montreal to take on his salary when Columbus had very few options of where they could send him that wouldnt involve retaining salary. Like I said there is no risk here for Hughes to make this move, do I have to add the disclaimer that Hughes works for Montreal? Montreal has nothing to lose here and everything to gain.

Reactions: Farmboy Patty

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
I don't know French, but from what DeepL has translated, it's very interesting. Btw, Mathieu Olivier has spoken very well about Patrik.

P.S. can you anyone translate this? "Il a fait un pas pour se retirer et retrouver le plaisir à jouer au hockey, ça va faire une grosse différence."

Last edited:
Reactions: Benstheman

Rob Sense

Apr 26, 2015
I don't know French, but from what DeepL has translated, it's very interesting. Btw, Mathieu Olivier has spoken very well about Patrik.

P.S. can you anyone translate this? "Il a fait un pas pour se retirer et retrouver le plaisir à jouer au hockey, ça va faire une grosse différence."
There you go:
If Patrik Laine has left the Blue Jackets, that’s not the case for Mathieu Olivier, who is about to start his third season with the Columbus team.

And those three seasons have been anything but restful: the hiring and departure of Mike Babcock, the appointment of Pascal Vincent as head coach, a disastrous season, the firing of Vincent and the appointment of a new management team, and then the trade of Patrik Laine to the Montreal Canadiens. Lots of movement...

"When our GM was fired in February, it was pretty clear that we were going to have other changes in the organization. I think that concerned everyone, including the players. After Don Waddell arrived, I think we had some very good conversations among the players, but also with Don, to really get a sense of what we thought, what could change, what we thought the problem was, and how we could turn things around.

"It was very clear from the start how Don saw the vision for the team. The players bought into that vision very quickly. It was very clear that we were heading in a different direction than before. Then, all the moves we made this summer, I think they really align with the initial discussions we had with Don about where the team was going. As a player, I’m very excited to see what we have, what we’re going to be able to do this year. It’s just a fresh start for everyone. We won’t have the same dynamic in the team."

Mathieu Olivier

The Departure of Laine

"We don't live under a rock. The rumors in Montreal have been around for a long time. That it’s Montreal, no, that didn’t surprise me. It didn’t surprise the player either. Patrik had been quite clear. He wanted a fresh start and didn’t want to be in Columbus."

"Patrik and I had a good relationship. We got along well. I understood his reasons. He had 100% the right to want to play in a place where he felt comfortable. The discussions we had: he’s very excited to be coming to Montreal. I’m just happy for him."

Mathieu Olivier

And how would you describe Patrik Laine, the hockey player?

"Talent that overflows from his ears. He’s a big guy who skates faster than he looks. He has a very efficient stride. Clearly, his shot is his number one weapon."

And on a personal level?

"The two years I was with him, he was open about his need for a little bit of help. There were things that weren’t going well. I had his trust in that regard, somewhat... I won’t go into details, but I think with the summer he had and the help from the program... He took a step back to find the joy in playing hockey again, and that’s going to make a big difference. I think it did him good."

Enigmatic, Patrik Laine?

"I tend to say: 'unique.' There’s no one else like him."

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
I asked chatgpt to consider acquiring Patrik Laine + 2nd for Jordan Harris. Do keep in mind chatgpt is trained on dated data. I did not provide other context like long-term vs short-term goals etc.
There's a reason it's called "ChatGPT" and not "AnalysisGPT".
Hey guys...

We got Patrik f***ing Laine!
Right? Here's one of the league's top enigmas, a still-young player with the ability to score lots of goals, and we end up with him for almost free! That's worth a few exclamation points! Are there questions? No kidding. That sweet deal doesn't happen if Laine didn't have past problems. But at 26 he's at an age where many athletes find a level of maturity and have plenty of time to re-establish their careers. Plenty of teams were willing to roll the dice on Laine despite his past, because he still has so much potential. Hard to believe he'll be wearing the CH!

behemolari

worst collapse in nhl history
Dec 1, 2011
Obviously ChatGpt has been hanging out with Leafs fans:

"Predicting when the Toronto Maple Leafs will win the Stanley Cup is challenging. They last won in 1967 and have faced many ups and downs since. While they have a strong roster and passionate fanbase, success in the NHL playoffs can be unpredictable. It could happen soon, but there's no way to know for sure. Fans are hoping it will be sooner rather than later!"
loving this, the question had nothing to do with Leafs fanbase but there it went

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
There you go:
If Patrik Laine has left the Blue Jackets, that’s not the case for Mathieu Olivier, who is about to start his third season with the Columbus team.

And those three seasons have been anything but restful: the hiring and departure of Mike Babcock, the appointment of Pascal Vincent as head coach, a disastrous season, the firing of Vincent and the appointment of a new management team, and then the trade of Patrik Laine to the Montreal Canadiens. Lots of movement...

"When our GM was fired in February, it was pretty clear that we were going to have other changes in the organization. I think that concerned everyone, including the players. After Don Waddell arrived, I think we had some very good conversations among the players, but also with Don, to really get a sense of what we thought, what could change, what we thought the problem was, and how we could turn things around.

"It was very clear from the start how Don saw the vision for the team. The players bought into that vision very quickly. It was very clear that we were heading in a different direction than before. Then, all the moves we made this summer, I think they really align with the initial discussions we had with Don about where the team was going. As a player, I’m very excited to see what we have, what we’re going to be able to do this year. It’s just a fresh start for everyone. We won’t have the same dynamic in the team."

Mathieu Olivier

The Departure of Laine

"We don't live under a rock. The rumors in Montreal have been around for a long time. That it’s Montreal, no, that didn’t surprise me. It didn’t surprise the player either. Patrik had been quite clear. He wanted a fresh start and didn’t want to be in Columbus."

"Patrik and I had a good relationship. We got along well. I understood his reasons. He had 100% the right to want to play in a place where he felt comfortable. The discussions we had: he’s very excited to be coming to Montreal. I’m just happy for him."

Mathieu Olivier

And how would you describe Patrik Laine, the hockey player?

"Talent that overflows from his ears. He’s a big guy who skates faster than he looks. He has a very efficient stride. Clearly, his shot is his number one weapon."

And on a personal level?

"The two years I was with him, he was open about his need for a little bit of help. There were things that weren’t going well. I had his trust in that regard, somewhat... I won’t go into details, but I think with the summer he had and the help from the program... He took a step back to find the joy in playing hockey again, and that’s going to make a big difference. I think it did him good."

Enigmatic, Patrik Laine?

"I tend to say: 'unique.' There’s no one else like him."

If you go by that it lines up with the time where he lost the closest person in his life and was open about needing help. If he felt he didn’t get it/ they didn’t take it serious enough makes all the sense in the world to start fresh somewhere else

He was a 23-24y kid when it happened and had to go through it in front of millions. So happy for him to get the help he needed

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
We three
Sorry bad internet
What you think?

The way the deal was done, they took out pretty much all the risk. Obviously if he hits in Montreal, there's the salary cap implications down the line to re-sign or let him go but cross that bridge now when we come to it.

Got paid to take him.
Got rid of the logjam on the left side of the defense for this year.

Hughes masterclass.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad