Player Discussion Patrik Laine

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
I know people will be up in arms, but if we lose Dach to injury, I'd give Laine a shot at C. He looked pretty good there in my limited viewings during his short stint. He's genuinely decent defensively when he puts the effort in.
I would assume Newhook would be given first priority given that he's an actual center and did well with limited linemates last year.

behemolari

worst collapse in nhl history
Dec 1, 2011
Doesnt really matter. Suzuki set the bar. No way Laine gets more than him. Iactually think its more about chance for success than money for Laine. He aint no party-animal. Doesnt even drink alcohol. Im betting he just wants to succeed.
it does not work like that, agencys and all..

Reactions: Farmboy Patty

RealityBytes

Trash Remover
Feb 11, 2013
For who?

Patrick Laine could not take a single stride for the Montreal Canadiens, and it would be difficult for anyone to twist themselves into a pretzel to explain how trading for him was a mistake.

But no doubt people will try
I never said it was a mistake, some sportscasters are saying so but I didn't. All I said is we don't know for sure which Laine he will be.

Nicko999

Jan 23, 2008
Montreal
The counter argument is that his 2 55 games seasons in Columbus are his most productive in his career on a PPG basis.
And those seasons are sandwiched between his 2 worst seasons in his career.

Maybe it will turn out like Monahan and he remains healthy but fans shouldn't have such high expectations.

Reactions: Essenege

RealityBytes

Trash Remover
Feb 11, 2013
There is no risk here, he can be gone in 2 years, hell we could flip him at the dead line for a prospect. No one expects Montreal to even be outside of the bottom 10 this coming season. What's the risk? We lost Harris? Big whoop.
No long term risk, if he is no good, he is gone in two years. Although, if he does end up good even relatively good, he will want a big payout. Time will tell what he will be.

Jaynki

Feb 3, 2014
We don't know for sure which Laine he will be.

Indeed, but Laine in his peak form is a franchise player and a top 10 winger in the league.

So when we say that we don't know for sure which Laine he will be, as much as we focus on the negative, the ultimate upside is also part of a possibility.

The mother of all reclamation project.

Although, if he does end up good even relatively good, he will want a big payout.

Lets hope it turn that way and that we end up gladly extending him because he has the potential to become pivotal for our rebuild and our playoffs hope.

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
It won't. We will have 24 million available next summer (including Price LTIR space) to sign Primeau, Struble, and replacements or extensions for Evans, Dvorak, Armia, RHP, Pezzetta, and Savard. We're almost guaranteed to have at least 2 of Laine, Hutson, Demidov, Mailloux, Reinbacher in the mix for 25-26 on ELCs.

We genuinely have zero risk of a cap issue directly from this trade, the only potential for cap problems would be if we extend Laine and he falls off a cliff afterwards like Jeff Skinner.

It's not always about cap space........roster space is a thing too.

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
With the addition of Laine how close to being legitimately able to compete for a playoff spot?
1 player? 2?

If they can continue the defensive play that they showed in the last quarter of the season, they should be much improved with a better offense.

However, four things need to improve:

1. PP (27th OA) at 17.7%: it had a nice hot streak mid-season, but went cold again in the final quarter. Laine, Dach & Hutson should help us improve. It needs to get into top 15.

2. PK (24th): It improved a lot in back half of season. Basically, it went back to sucking once Dvorak was back. He's awful. Dach & Slaf should be tried on pk. Size & speed would cause issues for opponents. It needs to get into top 16.

3. Goals Against (26th OA): our goaltenders really supported a poor defensive game overall. Defense allowed far too many shots, and often lost battles or just lost their man. Montreal should move to a hybrid man-on-man / zone over a pure man-on-man. There were definitely games where they played extremely well defensively, but it didn't last. A lot of high and low games.

The young defense needs to step up quite a bit. If they can improve into top 18, that's a good step.

4. Goals for (26th OA): Laine, the return of Dach and maybe the addition of Roy should see Montreal's offensive game improve. Last year, there was hardly anything behind Suzuki line. Now, we'll have a legitimate 2nd line. Everyone else moves down the lineup, which hopefully improves their games, too. A move into top 15 for offense would help a lot.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
I never said it was a mistake, some sportscasters are saying so but I didn't. All I said is we don't know for sure which Laine he will be.
Fair

But I don't know why we would expect him to be anything other than what he's always been.

I wish I could hop in a time machine, go on the main board and post Harris for Laine +2nd just to see the responses

paragon

May 5, 2010
Makes sense, his bread and butter is firing pucks from the LW and the right shot center can get the puck on his stick much easier than a lefty on his backhand.
Back in Winnipeg it wasn't really Scheifele passing to Patrik. It was mostly Wheeler serving cross seam passes from the right side. Of course the same thing kind of applies because all three were right shots, but Wheeler was the biggest reason he scored 20 PPGs in his second year.

Marioesque

Oct 7, 2021
Back in Winnipeg it wasn't really Scheifele passing to Patrik. It was mostly Wheeler serving cross seam passes from the right side. Of course the same thing kind of applies because all three were right shots, but Wheeler was the biggest reason he scored 20 PPGs in his second year.

Yeah Scheifele was in the bumper position on PP and Wheeler was on the right boards.

The PP for Laine works best if there's a RH player on the point who can distribute the puck quickly and accurately so he can onetime it. But I could see MTL running a 5 fwd PP with Laine on point and Caufield on left.

Reactions: Habs10Habs

LeHab

Aug 31, 2005
I asked chatgpt to consider acquiring Patrik Laine + 2nd for Jordan Harris. Do keep in mind chatgpt is trained on dated data. I did not provide other context like long-term vs short-term goals etc.

As the GM of the Montreal Canadiens, I would decline the trade.

Here's why:

• Jordan Harris's Potential: Harris is a young, promising defenseman who has shown steady development. In a rebuilding team, keeping young, cost-controlled defensemen like him is crucial for long-term success.
  • Patrik Laine's Fit and Risk: While Laine is a talented goal scorer, his inconsistency and injury history are concerns. Additionally, his substantial cap hit could limit the team's flexibility in the future. The Canadiens are not in a position to take on a high-risk player, especially when their rebuild is still in progress.
  • Draft Pick Value: The 2nd round pick is valuable, but it doesn't offset the risk of losing a key defensive prospect like Harris. In a rebuild, accumulating picks is important, but so is retaining and developing young talent.
In conclusion, while Laine could provide an offensive boost, the potential downside, combined with the value of Harris to the Canadiens' future, makes this trade too risky. The team should focus on building a solid foundation with young players like Harris rather than taking a gamble on a player with a high cap hit and inconsistent performance.

behemolari

worst collapse in nhl history
Dec 1, 2011
I watched him play two games at centre for Columbus and he was absolutely abysmal in those games.

LIke, really, really bad. I know it's a very small sample size, so I would have to ask the folks on the Columbus board for their take, but what I saw was terrible.

sounds like him, looks really really bad then from nowhere scores, twice

people have wondered what will happen if/when he starts to look good again. the last game with WPG he did and was monster

Last edited:
Reactions: Marioesque

McGuires Corndog

Pierre's favorite MONSTER performer
Sponsor
Feb 6, 2008
Montreal
PL will soon become a fan favourite and will lead the team in goals.

Absolute STEAL!!

If he stays healthy it’s a real possibility.

That said, this opens a whole new door for Caufield too. Last season was an adjustment not only due to this shoulder, but teams actually game planning to shut him down knowing he was one of our only shooting threats.

Caufield has a very good chance at 40+ this year, especially given this new development.

What masterclass asset management by Hughes , I’m still blown away. I am beyond excited for Laine’s debut, I’m a massive fan of the player and I really hope he stays healthy and gets his groove back.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad