Player Discussion Patrik Laine

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
The year his production fell to 28 goals he only played 68 games

In 21-22 he scored 26 in 56 games had had 56 points. That's a 35 G plus pace.

In 22-23 he had 22G in 55 games and finished with 52 points. Another 30+ goal pace.

if he stays healthy I think he easily scores 35G.
This guy is an elite talent.
Well he’s had two “poor” seasons by his standard (not counting last year’s injury filled season). His 3rd season in Winnipeg with massive expectations he only got 50 points (30 goals though). Says something about a player when 30 goals is disappointing.

The other poor season was his first in Columbus. 3 points in Game 1 with the Jets. Got hurt, got traded shortly after. I assume it was all a shock and adjustment especially in a Covid season.

Marioesque

Oct 7, 2021
Well he’s had two “poor” seasons by his standard (not counting last year’s injury filled season). His 3rd season in Winnipeg with massive expectations he only got 50 points (30 goals though). Says something about a player when 30 goals is disappointing.

The other poor season was his first in Columbus. 3 points in Game 1 with the Jets. Got hurt, got traded shortly after. I assume it was all a shock and adjustment especially in a Covid season.

Yeah that 3rd season it really came to a head, Wheeler still dictated who plays what situations even after Laine's 44 goal season from 2nd line. I think Laine was frustrated and started hoping to move on. Who would want to be stuck behind someone who isn't as good at the job as you are?

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
Yeah that 3rd season it really came to a head, Wheeler still dictated who plays what situations even after Laine's 44 goal season from 2nd line. I think Laine was frustrated and started hoping to move on. Who would want to be stuck behind someone who isn't as good at the job as you are?
There was definitely a dressing room issue. Paul Maurice left in the middle of a season. Byfuglien just retired randomly.

Marioesque

Oct 7, 2021
There was definitely a dressing room issue. Paul Maurice left in the middle of a season. Byfuglien just retired randomly.

I really like Maurice, but he created that situation with Wheeler. He was enamored with the "leadership " and gave Wheeler the power to decide who plays with who and when. I think Maurice recognized it later on and left. And next coach stripped that C off Wheeler

GrandBison

Jul 1, 2019
Should be happy to end up with the team that eliminated that Jets team in six calendar days.

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010

Here's one factor about Laine and all of his time with Columbus, the full 4 seasons with them :
He never played with a good center. Jenner and Roslovic are not exactly good options.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
I'd love to see Laine putting up points in a higher percentage of games similar to Suzuki.
While those multi goal games are fun to watch it's consistency that will help the team win more game.
Laine has the skill to do a lot more than just score goals.
Hopefully Marty can bring that side out of Patrik and help him find satisfaction while doing it.

sampollock

Jun 7, 2008
in my home
I'd love to see Laine putting up points in a higher percentage of games similar to Suzuki.
While those multi goal games are fun to watch it's consistency that will help the team win more game.
Laine has the skill to do a lot more than just score goals.
Hopefully Marty can bring that side out of Patrik and help him find satisfaction while doing it.
He will
His shot will get the Bell centre rocking

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
If Laine comes motivated, I see him easily putting up 30g thanks to PP. Slaf and Nick will be feeding those tight seam passes to one of the best snipers in the league. If Hutson makes the nhl ready to make an impact, that is one more player feeding Laine.....DROOOL.

It's not only the way Laine shoots the puck, it's also his pass receptions are insanely efficient. Cole is great, but his transition from pass reception to shot is so much slower than Laine's....and Caufield is already amazing at it.

The best in recent memory is Koivu, Kovalev, Lang, Tanguay, Plekanec, Sergei and Andrei Kostitsyn, Latendresse, Higgins.

Suzuki, Slaf, Caufield, Laine, Dach, Newhook, Roy, Hage, Demidov, Beck....might surpass this. When you take into account age as well...that is some great offensive depth.

The team still has two firsts and two seconds next year as well.
I was gonna say the 08-09 roster is the closest.

But what we have now has WAY more promise

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
I'm also interested how the PP will look. It should be laine's best asset, however the problem is that he's best where caufield also sets up.

They have made more of an investment in caufield (term wise) so I think it's his spot to lose, but how do you keep that weapon off the 1st unit?

Reactions: Redux91

themilosh

Sponsor
Apr 27, 2015
Oakville, ON
I'm also interested how the PP will look. It should be laine's best asset, however the problem is that he's best where caufield also sets up.

They have made more of an investment in caufield (term wise) so I think it's his spot to lose, but how do you keep that weapon off the 1st unit?
CC has been a solid top 6, but far from considered a top line, let even a PP1. We're allowed to make mistakes, but rewliry is CC is an undersized sniper; unless he is ripping goals from the half wall on PP1 or playing 1st line minutes, it's time for him to "prove" his value. If he faulters this year, he will need to be dealt - there is simply no room for a meandering pint sized sniper who only pots 30ish goals. Outside scoring, CC is limited to his contributions. I for one, believe this year is do or die for him.

calder candidate

Feb 25, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
What is acceptable production considering we got paid to take is cap hit?

People are getting excited (and I understand) but not sure it is fair to expect for him to just bounce back to 40 goal/ppg.

My expectations is 56pts in 78 games, anything more would be very exciting, less than .5ppg/40pts would be a bit disappointing.

Reactions: behemolari

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
CC has been a solid top 6, but far from considered a top line, let even a PP1. We're allowed to make mistakes, but rewliry is CC is an undersized sniper; unless he is ripping goals from the half wall on PP1 or playing 1st line minutes, it's time for him to "prove" his value. If he faulters this year, he will need to be dealt - there is simply no room for a meandering pint sized sniper who only pots 30ish goals. Outside scoring, CC is limited to his contributions. I for one, believe this year is do or die for him.

I thought one of caufield's strengths was getting his shot off quickly even if the passes weren't perfectly in the wheelhouse. Last year, I saw more hesitation, and I wonder if it's partly due to his surgery and whether there were some lingering effects physically and mentally.

I think CC will bounce back this year. It wouldn't be the first time a player has an off year by their standards after surgery.

Way too premature to say he isn't top line material.

Jack Skellington

Sep 29, 2017
Yeah I have a feeling Habs management strongly disagrees with your assessment of Caufield

Maybe Laine in bumper? Slaf and Suzuki on the right side would then have 2 options passing for one timers. Hard to cover both of those shots at the same time when Nick can also snipe it himself pretty good

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
Yeah I have a feeling Habs management strongly disagrees with your assessment of Caufield

Maybe Laine in bumper? Slaf and Suzuki on the right side would then have 2 options passing for one timers. Hard to cover both of those shots at the same time when Nick can also snipe it himself pretty good

Not a bad idea. I don't think it will be great for laine's goal totals but it could theoretically open up opportunities for other shooting threats.

Jack Skellington

Sep 29, 2017
Not a bad idea. I don't think it will be great for laine's goal totals but it could theoretically open up opportunities for other shooting threats.
Yeah I really don't know. Excited to see what they cook up though. Honestly Laine scores from crazy ass angles so maybe they'll try Caufield at high circle and Laine down by the goal line or something.

Reactions: JianYang

Marioesque

Oct 7, 2021

I would think Caufield on bumper would make more sense. He could be deadly there.

Laine is the best long range shot. He doesn't need to be that close to the net.

Habssince89

trolls to the IL
Sponsor
Apr 14, 2009
Vancouver, BC
I like the idea of teams having to "settle" for letting Suzuki or slafkovsky shoot because they are committing to CC and Laine on the PK.

Last edited:

admiralcadillac

Oct 22, 2017

People are getting excited (and I understand) but not sure it is fair to expect for him to just bounce back to 40 goal/ppg.

My expectations is 56pts in 78 games, anything more would be very exciting, less than .5ppg/40pts would be a bit disappointing.
Your expectation is that laine has his worst season?

ReHabs

Sponsor
Jan 18, 2022

Not to undersell him but he is coming off a lot of downtime and rehab. If he gets 60-65pts, I'll be happy because that's about at least c. 20 net Goals For he's added to our team stats which would, by itself, place us much closer to a playoff spot. Any more than that is obviously great.

My point with wanting Laine was to have sufficient skill/depth to ensure we're not playing dead rubber games from January on. So a 60-65pt player added to the lineup is hopefully mission accomplished.

On a personal level, I'd like to see him rip the league apart and prove the haters and losers wrong. Following a 90-95pt season where he carries us to the second round of the playoffs and puts up 10pts in 12gp, Hughes and him will have a 8 year extension locked up on July 1st 2025 at 11m/year. Let's go baby.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad