Player Discussion: Patrik Laine

Status
Not open for further replies.

nags

Sep 27, 2006
I'm with Don with this one, he deserves a slap. Yeah sure, he is only 20 but it sounds like he's handling adversity like a 10-year-old. He's looked a bit more engaged last few games but there's still a lot to improve - even if only talking about his effort level.

Sounds like you have never actually been responsible for the DEVELOPMENT of a high end athlete. "He deserves a slap", give me a break.

He needs to be mentored into a true high end professional athlete that understands the highs and lows and to not allow them to affect him mentally and ultimately physically. His biggest issue right now is that he is a very lanky and skinny kid trying to play against men. He will eventually catch up on that front. In the mean time you can't destroy him since he is now in a very important phase of his professional development. Its the old saying "what doesn't kill you makes you stronger".

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
Sounds like you have never actually been responsible for the DEVELOPMENT of a high end athlete. "He deserves a slap", give me a break.

He needs to be mentored into a true high end professional athlete that understands the highs and lows and to not allow them to affect him mentally and ultimately physically. His biggest issue right now is that he is a very lanky and skinny kid trying to play against men. He will eventually catch up on that front. In the mean time you can't destroy him since he is now in a very important phase of his professional development. Its the old saying "what doesn't kill you makes you stronger".
It is almost like we drafted such a player 32 months ago.

If, after 209 games of NHL experience, he still struggles with playing against men, maybe he is in the wrong league.

Channelcat

Unhinged user
Feb 8, 2013
Canada
Its got to be tough living a life where everyone has a plan for you. I just watched the Avicii documentary, and this kid didn't want the money, didn't want to tour etc., but his greasy manager and all the people around him were now dependent on his income so he kept going out of a sense of responsibility. Plus all the pressure from the fans.

....I dont know, just a weird thought.

Reactions: robertocarlos

WickedPegJets

Feb 12, 2017
If Jets don't give Laine 10 mill a year than a team like Florida will and we lose him for 2 first rounders (and a 2 and a 3 no biggie)
The latest talk at TSN is that Chevy may do well by trying to convince Laine and his agent to sign a bridge deal due to his less than stellar 2019 season so far.

It was brought up that compared with the best Jet Mark Scheifele's club friendly $6.25M per and Wheeler's club leading $8.25M per, not to mention Big Buff's $8M per, it's really a stretch for Laine to ask for Matthews's $11.643M per money. Another factor to keep in mind is RFA players with better season than Laine are Connors and Trouba also requiring hefty long term deals.

Lastly, it was hinted that Chevy simply isn't able to sign all his RFAs to deals their agents want unless a player like Nik Ehlers is sacrificed.

Good luck this Summer, Chevy! That's why Chipman and Thomson pay you the big bucks.

Working in Laine's favour is another NHL club giving him an offer sheet of say $11.5M per for 5 seasons which forces Chevy to match.

WickedPegJets

Feb 12, 2017
If he's working his butt off to get better, then, given his recent play, he's either incredibly stupid or not physically capable of getting better. He actually seems to be getting worse, like, not only does he seem to learn nothing, but he also forgets stuff he used to know.

I said recent play but the same kinds of things that are glaring now could be seen throughout his time in the NHL, so there's nothing very new about them. It's just that by this time, they should be far fewer in number, not more. And if he's going to be the best player in the world, he could start by looking like he actually wants to play in the NHL, dirty fingernails and all.
I concur with you. If Laine isn't putting the puck in the net or setting up his linemates, he should be emulating a Bob Gainey or Guy Carbonneau defensively. To have the team's worst Plus Minus is a big concern to Paul Maurice.

WickedPegJets

Feb 12, 2017
If you think Laine would rather play in Winnipeg over Phoenix I would disagree. So that would also be a win win

I don't understand why this board is so pro Chipman but not the players. I have no issue with them getting
what they deserve and not take 5 million less a year like 55 did
I bet the NHLPA and their top stars groaned when Mark Scheifele got fleeced by the Jets getting Mark on a new $6.25M per contract.

ovythegiraffe

Nov 26, 2018
In addition to this: based on my readings, European players tend to be more honest and open in interviews in their mother tongue. This ain't the first time Laine has said something 'controversial' in Finnish; for example, he has referred to some of the Jets of 16-17 as having no business in the NHL (paraphrase). We probably remember Kucherov throwing a lot of Bolts under the bus a couple of years ago, and Lindholm pretty much called out the Ducks' GM for being a cheapskate during the summer of 2016 in Swedish.

However, I don't really get your opening line... if Laine has a track record of literally speaking his mind, should we not be able to react to that accordingly? Laine is saying that there have been games this season which he has not been interested in; that should ring a lot of alarm bells. For me, everybody who has the Jets' logo in the front of his jersey enters each game with a passion to play, and those who do not can sit in the pressbox until they care again. I bloody hope Laine is actively trying to find a solution to whatever mess is hindering him, and the front office had better offer all the help they can.

Most nhl players probably have nights when they'd rather stay at home than go to the game. It's not easy to get motivated for every single game in a 100 game season. Especially when things aren't going your way at all. Most people just don't say it aloud. Just like most players don't talk about how much they play video games or watch tv or eat junk food or go to parties etc. because they know that everything they tell about themselves that isn't professional is going to get used against them when playing isn't going great.

Reactions: Farmboy Patty

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
Most nhl players probably have nights when they'd rather stay at home than go to the game. It's not easy to get motivated for every single game in a 100 game season. Especially when things aren't going your way at all. Most people just don't say it aloud. Just like most players don't talk about how much they play video games or watch tv or eat junk food or go to parties etc. because they know that everything they tell about themselves that isn't professional is going to get used against them when playing isn't going great.
Sure as hell doesn't seem to be a problem for Perreault, Copp, Lowry, Tanev and co..

Besides, there is a difference between having an off game and not being interested at all. The way his comments are phrased in the interview makes me think that it has been about the latter with Laine this year. Off games are natural, and nobody is immune. Laine's season has been several series of such games.

Reactions: KB1971

Jetfaninflorida

Southernmost Jet Fan
Dec 13, 2013
Florida
The latest talk at TSN is that Chevy may do well by trying to convince Laine and his agent to sign a bridge deal due to his less than stellar 2019 season so far.

It was brought up that compared with the best Jet Mark Scheifele's club friendly $6.25M per and Wheeler's club leading $8.25M per, not to mention Big Buff's $8M per, it's really a stretch for Laine to ask for Matthews's $11.643M per money. Another factor to keep in mind is RFA players with better season than Laine are Connors and Trouba also requiring hefty long term deals.

Lastly, it was hinted that Chevy simply isn't able to sign all his RFAs to deals their agents want unless a player like Nik Ehlers is sacrificed.

Good luck this Summer, Chevy! That's why Chipman and Thomson pay you the big bucks.

Working in Laine's favour is another NHL club giving him an offer sheet of say $11.5M per for 5 seasons which forces Chevy to match.

I'd much rather keep Ehlers with his contract, than Laine at anything close to $10M the way he is playing now.

If he gets sheeted, take the compensation rather than match an $11.5M offer. It is entirely unclear right now just what level of success Laine will have. He is no Austin Matthews

Reactions: KB1971 and sipowicz

SirKlaus

Nov 8, 2017

I would think it as a figure of speech. I'm not sure if the Jets' current delicate approach is working. Judging by the latest interview and what I've seen, maybe he should have sat a game.

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
Sure as hell doesn't seem to be a problem for Perreault, Copp, Lowry, Tanev and co..

Besides, there is a difference between having an off game and not being interested at all. The way his comments are phrased in the interview makes me think that it has been about the latter with Laine this year. Off games are natural, and nobody is immune. Laine's season has been several series of such games.
That's because if it was a problem, none of them have NHL careers any longer. All NHL players don't fit the same profile, nor do they need to. The league doesn't consist entirely of worker bees like Tanev and Perreault, and thank goodness. The work boots and lunch pail analogies are cliché and just suit individual bias.

The way his comments are phrased makes me think he's a 20 year old going through a tough time right now, wants to figure it out and is desperate to make a difference for his team.

RudyLLL

Dec 1, 2018

If, after 209 games of NHL experience, he still struggles with playing against men, maybe he is in the wrong league.

Top scorer in the team since entering the league and top 3 (?) scorer in the whole league still after such a slump. If that doesn't cut in the NHL, I honestly don't know what does.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Farmboy Patty

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
2nd highest amount of goals in the NHL since that time says otherwise.
Do you honestly think I agree with that or what?

'He's struggling because he is playing against men' is a lame excuse and wrong. It was not an issue for him as a 17-year-old in Liiga, nor was it even close to that in his first two seasons as a NHLer. Of course he can f***ing play against men, or else he wouldn't be here now. Trying to brush Laine's real on-ice issues off like that is just stupid.

That's because if it was a problem, none of them have NHL careers any longer. All NHL players don't fit the same profile, nor do they need to. The league doesn't consist entirely of worker bees like Tanev and Perreault, and thank goodness. The work boots and lunch pail analogies are cliché and just suit individual bias.

The way his comments are phrased makes me think he's a 20 year old going through a tough time right now, wants to figure it out and is desperate to make a difference for his team.
Not everybody needs to skate their asses off every night. Also, everybody needs to give a shit every night. Laine does not.

As for the second paragraph, feel free to break down his comments in Finnish.

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
Top scorer in the team since entering the league and top 3 (?) scorer in the whole league still after such a slump. If that doesn't cut in the NHL, I honestly don't know what does.
See above. Laine /can/ play against men. His real issues lie elsewhere.

Last edited by a moderator:

ffh

Jul 16, 2016

even if Chiarelli was still a gm no gm is offersheeting laine at 11.5 million. as other talking heads have said that are not on tsn if you want even 8 million a year you better be a line driver. and laine isn't not even close.

Reactions: Channelcat

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
if another team gives Laine 11.5M offersheet..... 1st: who are the teams that can do that? 2nd: thnx for the 4 first rounders (a team with 11.5M cap space readily available is probably a bubble team?) 3rd: come on down Mark Stone

Reactions: Channelcat

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
Do you honestly think I agree with that or what?

'He's struggling because he is playing against men' is a lame excuse and wrong. It was not an issue for him as a 17-year-old in Liiga, nor was it even close to that in his first two seasons as a NHLer. Of course he can ****ing play against men, or else he wouldn't be here now. Trying to brush Laine's real on-ice issues off like that is just stupid.

Not everybody needs to skate their asses off every night. Also, everybody needs to give a **** every night. Laine does not.

As for the second paragraph, feel free to break down his comments in Finnish.

First bolded

No idea what you agree with, the way you're ranting about him it's hard to determine anything but calling opinions stupid isn't helping me think much of yours.

Second bolded.

Finnish or not, you used the phrase "makes me think", which is your interpretation. You read an article, and decided what you thought it told you.

How is "give a shit" measured btw? Seems a bit subjective.

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg

I like this nags person :)

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg

He played against men better in his first year. How he has been developed hasn't turned out as good as we have all hoped.

Reactions: sipowicz

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
I'd much rather keep Ehlers with his contract, than Laine at anything close to $10M the way he is playing now.

If he gets sheeted, take the compensation rather than match an $11.5M offer. It is entirely unclear right now just what level of success Laine will have. He is no Austin Matthews

If we are only talking about his 20 year old season, I guess you have a point. If you are suggesting throwing away a potential superstar in a couple of years, then I disagree.

ovythegiraffe

Nov 26, 2018

The reason why they ever got to nhl in the first place is because they try 100% every shift. If their effort dropped a little they'd be out of the league quick. Much different with players who are in there because they are exceptionally talented. A big part of being a professional athlete is learning how to keep your motivation up at all times or at least get your routine so good that the difference in uninterested play isn't too much. Look at Scheif and Wheeler this season. They've definitely had games where they didn't look very interested at all, but with their talent and especially experience they're able to give a decent routine performance on most of those nights.

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
The reason why they ever got to nhl in the first place is because they try 100% every shift. If their effort dropped a little they'd be out of the league quick. Much different with players who are in there because they are exceptionally talented. A big part of being a professional athlete is learning how to keep your motivation up at all times or at least get your routine so good that the difference in uninterested play isn't too much. Look at Scheif and Wheeler this season. They've definitely had games where they didn't look very interested at all, but with their talent and especially experience they're able to give a decent routine performance on most of those nights.
Not a lot in that post that is wrong, that is for certain.

But here is the intriguing issue with Laine: he has the exceptional talent of a star. However, every time his feet stop moving, the level of play plummets below the level of those bottom sixers. It is rare to see middle six level play out of Laine, for the outcome is so often at one extreme of the spectrum. I don't know many who have similar issues.

I still think it's a mental issue, which magnifies his deficiencies as a player. Hopefully it all gets sorted.

Reactions: Tanembaria
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad