Player Discussion: Patrik Laine

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
If you have something of value to add to the thread add it. If you don’t like the thread or have nothing of value to add, don’t open it.....very simple. Count this as a gentle warning.

Those who can’t be civil will receive an infraction and removed from the thread. Also will not hesitate closing this thread if it becomes a gong show.

Last edited:

Calendal

May 16, 2016
London, England
Funny you should say that, because I was thinking that this morning. I just have this feeling that Laine is the type who doesn't want money and contracts to be any kind of factor in his hockey....... and I have nothing to back it up :)

Well, I'm sure he will get a valuable contract but would not expect him to try & squeeze the last blood drops out of it. That's my strictly subjective expectation for a person who speaks like Laine and comes from Tampere.

Am I the only one who after this 5-goal performance feels like even a hat trick might be just a "little disappointing"? Love that he got it, but better would have been to push a few 4-goal games over the next years and keep up the suspense. :D

suihkukone

Mar 12, 2017
Denmark
If Laine does 5 goals again, he should walk straight to Cheveldayoff's box with his skates still on,
and ask to sign for contract.

Can he do it? This is direct quote after last game, totally out of context:
"It was just one of those nights..."
I read this that there's more to come...

Neuf

Leaving HFBoards for now
Dec 17, 2016
Once he had five with lots of time, I kind of wanted the Jets to let a few in, get the goalie pulled, and get the double. Kidding, but man I thought 6 was coming

Reactions: Ippenator

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
If Laine does 5 goals again, he should walk straight to Cheveldayoff's box with his skates still on,
and ask to sign for contract.

Can he do it? This is direct quote after last game, totally out of context:
"It was just one of those nights..."
I read this that there's more to come...

LOL, I had a very funny visual of this.... :laugh:

Get Bengt

Forging a Stanley Cup champ 1 whiny post at a time
Mar 31, 2018
Winnipeg
I normally shy away from salary cap debates, on the grounds that they are a) endlessly repetitive, b) odious in their commodification of human beings, and c) endlessly repetitive. But here goes:

If I were our beloved GM's resident cap space bean counter, I'd suggest that the argument that players "take one for the team" (and accept below-market compensation, to help build/preserve a Cup contender) is logically applicable to every negotiation with every player. But this argument will have the most resonance to veteran players, who've a) already built their nest egg, yet b) don't have much time left to win a Cup.

Every time players step on to the ice, they understand that this game could well be their last; the younger the player, the bigger the financial risk of a career-ending injury.

Applying this reasoning to this thread's topic: pay youngsters like Laine what their hockey skills are worth to the team's bottom line, and ask the wealthier vets to take one for the team.

Last edited:

kelsier

Aug 17, 2013
I normally shy away from salary cap debates, on the grounds that they are a) endlessly repetitive, b) odious in their commodification of human beings, and c) endlessly repetitive. But here goes:

If I were our beloved GM's resident cap space bean counter, I'd suggest that the argument that players "take one for the team" (and accept below-market compensation, to help build/preserve a Cup contender) is logically applicable to every negotiation with every player. But this argument will have the most resonance to veteran players, who've a) already built their nest egg, yet b) don't have much time left to win a Cup.

Every time a player steps on to the ice, they understand that this game could well be their last; the younger the player, the bigger the financial risk of a career-ending injury.

Applying this reasoning to this thread's topic: pay youngsters like Laine what their hockey skills are worth to the team's bottom line, and ask the wealthier vets to take one for the team.

You make an excellent point. It's easier to ask a vet who's made millions after millions of income to take a discount on his next contract for the sake of the team. Then there are young guys coming out of their ELC's who haven't had the chance to earn much anything (in NHL standards) and for them to take a discount, it's much more of a gamble with the future because any career may just be one injury away from ending. You can never be too sure what tomorrow's going to bring.

Anyway, if Wheeler was willing to "leave" money of the table and sign up to 8,25m AAV, you just got to wonder how much Laine could squeeze and still say the same thing. 10m? 11? 12? Didn't McKenzie just tell on that one interview last season that Laine could ask something like 12% of the entire player budget? Can't remember the exact number and don't really know how much that actually is with today's cap hit. But right now if he accepted anything below 10 million a year, that'd be a huge rip off. That's how valuable goal scorers are in today's game and when dealing with potentially best in the market, then all they can really do is hope that the player feels like the team is worthy of losing some millions. I guess it comes down to how much any particular player feels he owes it to the team.

I think the bottom line usually is securing your younger assets first and then worrying about the older players, cause there's a huge difference between the future and the near-future. The Jets basically went the other way around so it's going to be interesting to see how they manage to keep all the pieces together.

Ippenator

Jan 6, 2016
Espoo
Here is the link to the original Finnish article for those who can read Finnish:
Isoin huomio Laineessa – Mikko Rantanen nakuttelee hurjia tehoja kaikessa rauhassa: "Se on ihan hyvä juttu"

And here is the translated article that I was promising:

Mikko Rantanen whom won last season the scoring race for all the Finnish NHL players and was piling up wild numbers for the season, has been preparing for the new NHL season in Turku, in the same training group with Patrik Laine amongst others. Both, Rantanen and his team Colorado Avalanche have a big season ahead of them.

Rantanen, whom was flying on the ice for the Lions last spring in the WHC tournament held in Denmark, has been able to prepare for the new season while being healthy.

Rantanen has been taking part in the training group lead by the training guru Hannu Rautala. Rautala’s name has been appearing also when talking about Patrik Laine, as Laine has been also training under the guidance of Rautala.

Rantanen explained that his own summer training has now had a one clear area that has been emphasized.
- A lot of the same things as before, but maybe also a bit more emphasis on speed, Rantanen explains to MTV Sport.
- It is after all one of the areas where I can still take clear steps forward. We have been looking for more explosiveness. Let’s hope that it will be helping me.

The same kind of elements have been also brought in the summer training for Laine. The Jets forward has been trying to get more of that explosiveness that Rantanen was mentioning.

So which one of you is now more explosive then?
- On the basis of the radar it is me! Rantanen laughs.
- Pate has clearly advanced a lot. His effort has looked good both on the off-ice practices as well as on the ice, Rantanen gives some praise for his training buddy.

The so called Turku-training group gets of course praise from Rantanen.
- Each of us has their own individual program for example at the gym, but when we play anything against each others, everyone is really competing hard. I have liked it very much, Rantanen keeps nodding.

The Trio doesn’t surprise, anymore

Last season Rantanen formed a true power-line with the Canadian center Nathan MacKinnon and the Swedish winger Gabriel Landeskog.

MacKinnon chipped in almost 100 points (39+58=97), and Rantanen wasn’t too far behind him. After all Rantanen won the Finnish internal scoring race with 29+55=84.
- I hope we will get to start together again. We know very well what we can do together. We have to just keep continuing what we have been doing, Rantanen says about the line combination from last season.
Last season the line was able to surprise a lot of teams. But for example Landeskog had had quite recently a bit quieter periods in his career. Despite that already in the beginning of the season the trio emerged as a great engine for the Avalanche.
- Now the opponents are for sure marking us better right from start of the season. That means that we will have to be better, Rantanen says.

In Rantanen’s opinion the story of their whole line reflected also to the whole Avalanche team.
- It might be that many were thinking a bit like ”it’s just Colorado, they were so bad last season”. A bit like they would be getting easy points. Now that we played better last season and got to the playoffs, the expectations for us are higher from the opponents. That means that our line and our team will need to be better.

”That doesn’t really bother me”

Rantanen wants to set his personal goals completely through his team.
- I’m satisfied with winning the Stanley Cup as a team. I’m not saying that it happens necessarily next season or the season after that, but you never know after all. I bet not many were believing in Vegas going all the way to the finals in their first season ever. Anything can happen.
- NHL is such an unpredictable league, Rantanen ponders.
One legendary achievement is already starting to be close for Rantanen. If the Avalanche super-line continues their wild ways and they even manage to raise their quality a notch or two, then we are talking about passing the individual 100 point mark.
– I don’t really think about those kind of things much. I have never jumped to my season thinking that I would have to score this many goals or that amount of points. That I do know that if you get to play healthy, have good linemates and you play well yourself, then it’s possible to get a lot of points. But it is still very difficult to predict how many.
He will for sure take gladly a clearly better point total though.
- For sure. Of course it would be a cool thing, Rantanen chuckles.

The versatile winger from Nousiainen managed to chip in his last season’s impressive points totals under the radar. In Finland the most of the attention was focused on Laine, which doesn’t necessarily bother Rantanen.
- Yeah, it’s no problem. Pate scores so many goals that he does deserve that kind of attention.
- That doesn’t really bother me. It’s kind of a good thing after all, Rantanen laughs on the subject.

For both Rantanen and Laine the summer in Finland is almost over.
- Two weeks left still and then I go back. Then the grind starts again there, says Rantanen about the near future.

Last edited:

LucianoBorsato

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
Well it appears Aavco is still around, at least on Twitter:
received_493271984500796.jpeg

Plural

Mar 10, 2011

Every time players step on to the ice, they understand that this game could well be their last; the younger the player, the bigger the financial risk of a career-ending injury.

This seems like a reasonable approach.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
Laine's in his 3rd season, so the Jets control his rights for 4 more seasons after this. The team will probably try to sign him for the max 8 years on his next deal. He'd be a UFA after that at age 29 (assuming the he and the Jets don't extend after that).

If he wants to Trouba his way to free agency, he can sign short term deals and become an unrestricted free agent at 25. If he's interested in the most money and/or picking his team, that's the way to go.
But Trouba has not really done anything to announce his love for the city. Laine wrote that article and adopted a Winnie the Pooh screen name. Things might not work out but I imagine he'll do everything that is fair and reasonable to make it work. Now fair and reasonable is relative I just doubt it if he Trouba's it.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Just look at Rantanen and you should realize that Laine is training with a great trainer. Also get a bit familiar with the progress with Rantanen’s development on an annual basis, and you should get a better general understanding of the situation. No use to anyway change something that is working extremely well to something that we can’t know for sure to work any better. I really recommend to study thoroughly the development of Rantanen.

And btw, there is not a physically better conditioned player in the NHL than Rantanen is at the moment. He is a new Jagr with his strength and conditioning. I seriously recommend to watch at least several full games of how he is playing nowadays. A huge difference physically especially from last season.
Rantanen is a great player. Rantanen would be a great player if he worked with another good trainer in the offseason because he's a phenomenal athlete with great skills and a high work ethic. You give way too much credit to Rautala, and not enough to Rantanen. Why?

Whileee

May 29, 2010
You make an excellent point. It's easier to ask a vet who's made millions after millions of income to take a discount on his next contract for the sake of the team. Then there are young guys coming out of their ELC's who haven't had the chance to earn much anything (in NHL standards) and for them to take a discount, it's much more of a gamble with the future because any career may just be one injury away from ending. You can never be too sure what tomorrow's going to bring.

Anyway, if Wheeler was willing to "leave" money of the table and sign up to 8,25m AAV, you just got to wonder how much Laine could squeeze and still say the same thing. 10m? 11? 12? Didn't McKenzie just tell on that one interview last season that Laine could ask something like 12% of the entire player budget? Can't remember the exact number and don't really know how much that actually is with today's cap hit. But right now if he accepted anything below 10 million a year, that'd be a huge rip off. That's how valuable goal scorers are in today's game and when dealing with potentially best in the market, then all they can really do is hope that the player feels like the team is worthy of losing some millions. I guess it comes down to how much any particular player feels he owes it to the team.

I think the bottom line usually is securing your younger assets first and then worrying about the older players, cause there's a huge difference between the future and the near-future. The Jets basically went the other way around so it's going to be interesting to see how they manage to keep all the pieces together.
Agents play a big role in how negotiations go. If Laine's agent wants to make a big commission and can convince Laine not to sign a team friendly deal, this will be a tough negotiation.

Ippenator

Jan 6, 2016
Espoo
Rantanen is a great player. Rantanen would be a great player if he worked with another good trainer in the offseason because he's a phenomenal athlete with great skills and a high work ethic. You give way too much credit to Rautala, and not enough to Rantanen. Why?
Because Rantanen does it himself (gives loads of credit and trust to Rautala). Why it is so important for you to think that Rautala is not pretty much an optimal trainer for Rantanen (or Laine)? You yourself don’t have any kind of proof that Rantanen would be even as good, if he went to another coach than Rautala. And Rantanen is anyway so darn good right now that it is absurd to claim that his training wasn’t an enormous success as it has been. Why not give credit to Rautala and Rantanen both? They have done it together after all...

Last edited:
Reactions: LOFIN
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad