LeBrun: Patrik Laine wants a fresh start and trade out of Columbus

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
That makes sense, but on the other hand I would say it's kind of axiomatic that a team that is seriously considering acquiring him is one that thinks he will succeed. If a team doesn't think he will succeed, they wouldn't make a trade for him.

If every team thinks that Laine is a major risk and/or unlikely to succeed, then that is a frank conversation that Columbus needs to have with Laine. Basically, we are actively working to try and trade you, but everyone has serious doubts about you. So until that changes, you need to work to change their minds.
A team seriously considering acquiring him is likely not a playoff team strapped for cap space. They are comfortable taking a risk because they have available cap space, but that does not mean they would be willing to shell out assets. It's an acceptable risk for them because they can afford both the cap space and the risk of him failing because they are not competitive today.

Also, I agree that trying to change the mind of interested parties will increase his value but again, I doubt it is easy to convince other GM's that a player who has not played over 60 games in the previous 3 seasons will turn it around all of a sudden.

Reactions: Beukeboom Fan

Dumais

It's All In The Reflexes
Jul 24, 2013
Don't dismiss video game addiction. I've seen plenty of people lose jobs and waste their life gaming away. We have no idea how much Laine plays, but he's certainly distracted and on a wayward path.
I will dismiss it because it's a symptom and not the cause. The cause being OCD, ADHD, Autism or some other mental imbalance/disease. Which he could have but that's not what you are claiming. Calling gaming addictive is the same as saying "music causes school shooters" it's just dumb. Example: Streamers, how many cracked out looking 24/48 hour long streamers you see? Ask you favorite streamer "when's your next 24 hour stream".... Now give a crackhead 500bucks and watch them go a week straight without sleeping.

Video games, telephones, movies, books and other forms of entertainment are not addictive. Maybe adding gambling to them will make them addictive, but even then it's less about the game and more about the rush. Which video games aren't their yet. Unless I missed the reports of people found dead wearing VR headsets who've apparently died of dehydration.

Reactions: mattihp

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
whats the difference if something is posted on reddit or on HFBoard? there are people who tracked his gaming hours and made a thread about it. guys have been giving Laine a hardtime over fortnite for years now. this isnt new. sorry if it hurt your feelings

well yeah it was a long time ago but thats where his regressed play started so its easy to keep that talk going on, and who knows maybe he still is addicted to gaming and it takes away from his practice time also helping in his regressed play. injuries didnt help either
I have a question. Do you watch his play in Columbus if you say about regress? Or you think injuries are reason of his playing Fortnite?

Chuck Norris Trophy

Jan 22, 2015
I will dismiss it because it's a symptom and not the cause. The cause being OCD, ADHD, Autism or some other mental imbalance/disease. Which he could have but that's not what you are claiming. Calling gaming addictive is the same as saying "music causes school shooters" it's just dumb. Example: Streamers, how many cracked out looking 24/48 hour long streamers you see? Ask you favorite streamer "when's your next 24 hour stream".... Now give a crackhead 500bucks and watch them go a week straight without sleeping.

Video games, telephones, movies, books and other forms of entertainment are not addictive. Maybe adding gambling to them will make them addictive, but even then it's less about the game and more about the rush. Which video games aren't their yet. Unless I missed the reports of people found dead wearing VR headsets who've apparently died of dehydration.
You couldn't be more wrong. What you are basically saying is that alcoholism is not a real thing, because the underlying issues are depression, anxiety etc. Plus there are many people who have died because of gaming binge, especially in Asia.

Gaming disorder

Gaming disorder is defined in the 11th Revision of the International Classification of Diseases (ICD-11) as a pattern of gaming behavior (“digital-gaming” or “video-gaming”) characterized by impaired control over gaming, increasing priority given to gaming over other activities to the extent that gaming takes precedence over other interests and daily activities, and continuation or escalation of gaming despite the occurrence of negative consequences.
It absolutely is a real thing.

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005
At the end of the day, he’s trending $621,000 per goal, on his current contract, and we’re 4 years into this production.

He is what he is now. An $8.7 million, 14 goal scorer.

We can argue over every reason why, and at the end of the day, you can’t argue his production over the last 4 years.

Nobody’s paying any significant value for 2 more years of that AAV. Any team trading for him, deserves for him to turn things around, but they won’t be paying much to take that chance.

It’s the type of contract, managers get fired over trading for.

DoingItCoolKiwi

May 23, 2017
At the end of the day, he’s trending $621,000 per goal, on his current contract, and we’re 4 years into this production.

He is what he is now. An $8.7 million, 14 goal scorer.

We can argue over every reason why, and at the end of the day, you can’t argue his production over the last 4 years.

Nobody’s paying any significant value for 2 more years of that AAV. Any team trading for him, deserves for him to turn things around, but they won’t be paying much to take that chance.

It’s the type of contract, managers get fired over trading for.
It's 2 years. Very much a short term commitment. Much better deal than half of the +4 year UFA signings that GMs make every year. Nobody is getting fired for that when it's completely acceptable to sign +30 year olds on 8 year deals.

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
How much he played 5-6 years ago versus him streaming today is COMPLETELY irrelevant.

If you're going to question his training why don't you ask Barkov, you know who he spends the summer training with? Players still do some lifting and weight training during the season, but majority of the heavy training is done during the off-season. Not in the season.

You're acting like it's a bad thing that he's staying home playing video games instead of being out at the bars and partying. What would you think GMs prefer?
It's hockey, where people still talk about the Big Bad Bruins of the 70s wheeling Esposito out of the hospital and pushing his hospital bed down Causeway St for a party. I'm pretty sure the old school guys would indeed rather (and understand more) players out drinking instead of playing those gosh darned videogames.

Not that it's right, but I could totally see that from the old guard. Just look at your own team and Babcock and the phone issue.

crowi

Registered Loser
May 11, 2012
Helsinki
Video game addiction...as if someone can play video games often enough to impact other aspect of their lives. I guess movies, Netflix and listening to music can become addictions too, because these are things we are physically and mentally NEEDING to do ALL day, every day....like crack cocaine....

I think the big problem for Laine, is the LDS (Laine Derange...) that comes from being drafted by WPG the same year TML drafted Matthews. Apparently (from this CBJ fans POV) the $&%!-posting between the two fan bases and "betraying" his previous fan base, has left any meaningful discussion of trade value utterly pointless.
He wasn't out for f***ing video game addiction. His dad died and that took him down a dark path. Annoying how judgmental and badly informed folks are these days. That goes to @Arthur Morgan as well. I'd gladly take him on Ducks, could be a good one.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I can't f***ing believe Laine playing videogames is still something people find worth discussing, Lmao. Never seen such obsession over such an insignificant thing

When behaviors are sketchy and a player is not trending well, this stuff gets raised and focused on. People look for reasons over and over again.

Ianturnedbull

Jun 11, 2022
How does this totally assumed gaming addiction cause his injuries? Would he have avoided a concussion if he just played less games or how does this work?
Gaming does not cause injuries on the ice. Don't ask such silly questions.

When I say wayward I mean wayward. How else can you interpret that?

Reactions: mattihp

Ianturnedbull

Jun 11, 2022

Good luck.

Reactions: The Gr8 Dane

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Gaming does not cause injuries on the ice. Don't ask such silly questions.

When I say wayward I mean wayward. How else can you interpret that?

What players do when they are not playing does show what their focus is. I think he is not focused enough and his distractions has lead him down the wrong road. He needs a kick in the ass like Marchand got before he turned into a star. Laine has all the tools to be a top 10 player in the NHL... but the commitment is not there.

Also, I am curious to see what Laine can do with a real top 2C. Who was the best center Laine has played with so far? Scheifele?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Slovakia vs Romania
    Slovakia vs Romania
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $5,000.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Ukraine vs Belgium
    Ukraine vs Belgium