LeBrun: Patrik Laine wants a fresh start and trade out of Columbus

Status
Not open for further replies.

DelZottoHitTheNetJK

Mar 10, 2011
Dude for the 1000th time, its not funny and it doesn't make sense.

PLD gets boo'd when he comes to Columbus. Yeah let's trade for a hated player who is on an albatross of a long term deal for a player who only has 2 years left on his deal.

Utah literally has to spend 20 million just to get to the cap FLOOR. Teams will certainly take the risk.

Sure the list is smaller but there are a few teams who would be willing take on the cap.

Yeah, they have to spend 20 million because they have like 2 lines and 1 defenseman signed. By the time they fill out their team with normal contracts they'll be at the floor. No need for Laine, they're not close to contending and they're gonna be on a budget this year

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
People complain about his salary, but if he’s a 30a/30g/60pt guy the next couple of years with some of those pts coming in big games he’s probably worth it. That sentence will only be more true after this off season gets going. He’d be perfect at 6 mill, but if he’s hitting those numbers and beyond then at 6 mill he’s likely underpaid in what will be the current climate soon enough.

The deal will likely have some money going back to Cbus, I think there’s a market for the guy. If they retained at all you’d think a lot of teams would at least look into it.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
People complain about his salary, but if he’s a 30a/30g/60pt guy the next couple of years with some of those pts coming in big games he’s probably worth it. That sentence will only be more true after this off season gets going. He’d be perfect at 6 mill, but if he’s hitting those numbers and beyond then at 6 mill he’s likely underpaid in what will be the current climate soon enough.

The deal will likely have some money going back to Cbus, I think there’s a market for the guy. If they retained at all you’d think a lot of teams would at least look into it.
Agree with all of this BUT the if there is a very big one. He has not played more than 60 games since the 2020-21 season due to physical and mental issues. If there was any guarantee that he is ready to play in the NHL and can produce at that level (60+ points in a season), I definitely think there would be a long line of teams interested in him.

Right now the market is likely very limited and suitors are likely not ready to give up that much for Laine.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
Agree with all of this BUT the if there is a very big one. He has not played more than 60 games since the 2020-21 season due to physical and mental issues. If there was any guarantee that he is ready to play in the NHL and can produce at that level (60+ points in a season), I definitely think there would be a long line of teams interested in him.

Right now the market is likely very limited and suitors are likely not ready to give up that much for Laine.
If he’s healthy he can produce at that level. Teams can look into his health, there’s no surprises for them if they make this deal. I don’t know about the value you’re getting back but I’d bet you cash there’s teams that after doing their due diligence would acquire this guy. The hardest to thing to do is score goals, and he can score goals. Someone’s going to take that chance and I bet a bunch of teams will stick their nose in it.

He’s had a tough couple of years for family reasons as much as anything else, and we’ve seen what healing from these things can look like from Boeser. Put this guy back on a good team now that he’s matured some and hopefully moving past his grief and you could have a steal. You have to take chances in a league this big. It’s only two years. There’s a market.

Arthur Morgan

Jul 6, 2016
Toronto
www.youtube.com
PPG and near-PPG seasons are "not like himself", now? Yes, the past season was ugly as hell, but come on.
Yeah let's speculate where there's no actual evidence of anything. He's had a few concussions and surgeries, combined with losing his father who was his best friend and his major support figure for his entire hockey life.

These guys aren't just robots who can switch their thoughts off. Losing someone like that could seriously kill someones drive, especially compared to his 18 yo self for example. His inability to stay healthy combined with being on a team who has essentially been a lottery team his entire time here, it's not a surprise he's been struggling. A struggle he may never get over.

there was this big thing about it on reddit, some people were tracking his gaming and he was putting in high hours of gameplay. I didnt just make all of this up. I think its fair to question if his addiction to video games is part of his downfall. also this has been following him for years now

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
If he’s healthy he can produce at that level. Teams can look into his health, there’s no surprises for them if they make this deal. I don’t know about the value you’re getting back but I’d bet you cash there’s teams that after doing their due diligence would acquire this guy. The hardest to thing to do is score goals, and he can score goals. Someone’s going to take that chance and I bet a bunch of teams will stick their nose in it.

He’s had a tough couple of years for family reasons as much as anything else, and we’ve seen what healing from these things can look like from Boeser. Put this guy back on a good team now that he’s matured some and hopefully moving past his grief and you could have a steal. You have to take chances in a league this big. It’s only two years. There’s a market.
What you are saying is not different from what I said. I doubt anyone will argue that Laine is not an elite goal scorer or should be able to eclipse 60 points if he stays healthy over a season. But he has not done that since 2020-21. I understand the reasons as to why he has not, but that is the whole reason why this is so risky. This is not a one-off year where the risk level is low, but 3 straight seasons.

The difference here is simply of how people view his chance to bounce back. I get that it is only a 2 year commitment, but I still value this as a pretty high risk.

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
The difference here is simply of how people view his chance to bounce back. I get that it is only a 2 year commitment, but I still value this as a pretty high risk.
That makes sense, but on the other hand I would say it's kind of axiomatic that a team that is seriously considering acquiring him is one that thinks he will succeed. If a team doesn't think he will succeed, they wouldn't make a trade for him.

If every team thinks that Laine is a major risk and/or unlikely to succeed, then that is a frank conversation that Columbus needs to have with Laine. Basically, we are actively working to try and trade you, but everyone has serious doubts about you. So until that changes, you need to work to change their minds.

ManWithNoName

Unregistered User
Jul 9, 2017
Gothenburg, Sweden
there was this big thing about it on reddit, some people were tracking his gaming and he was putting in high hours of gameplay. I didnt just make all of this up. I think its fair to question if his addiction to video games is part of his downfall. also this has been following him for years now

You saw it on Reddit? Well it has to be true then. Anything else you read on there that you would like to enlighten us with?

This has got to be the most bizzare, farfetched thing I’ve read here. Your whole argument is based on a post on Reddit made in what, 2018-2019? Not only that, you assume that just because he allegedly liked playing Fortnite, he has some other addiction? Surely you can’t be serious?

Marioesque

Oct 7, 2021
The best shot on the planet, anomaly part.

I forget their names but there were
5 fans who joined before laines draft
And just kept telling us that we could never appreciate a talent like this.

How he was going to be a 70 goal scorer and was McDavid level because he was a completely unique scorer and focused because as an 18 year old
He didn’t drink or something

Ijoka
psycho dad
Kelsier
And 2
Others. It was pretty silly for a while

So who's the better shot then?

And I'm guessing none of these people claimed he would do any of that if he was going to be injured so much

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
Maybe six years ago. That it has followed him for years is just proof that people don’t pay attention.

If you want to bring the topic to today and make a poor joke, you could suggest that his participation in the PAP is due to Fortnite withdrawal.

Arthur Morgan

Jul 6, 2016
Toronto
www.youtube.com
You saw it on Reddit? Well it has to be true then. Anything else you read on there that you would like to enlighten us with?

This has got to be the most bizzare, farfetched thing I’ve read here. Your whole argument is based on a post on Reddit made in what, 2018-2019? Not only that, you assume that just because he allegedly liked playing Fortnite, he has some other addiction? Surely you can’t be serious?
whats the difference if something is posted on reddit or on HFBoard? there are people who tracked his gaming hours and made a thread about it. guys have been giving Laine a hardtime over fortnite for years now. this isnt new. sorry if it hurt your feelings

Maybe six years ago. That it has followed him for years is just proof that people don’t pay attention.

If you want to bring the topic to today and make a poor joke, you could suggest that his participation in the PAP is due to Fortnite withdrawal.
well yeah it was a long time ago but thats where his regressed play started so its easy to keep that talk going on, and who knows maybe he still is addicted to gaming and it takes away from his practice time also helping in his regressed play. injuries didnt help either

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
whats the difference if something is posted on reddit or on HFBoard? there are people who tracked his gaming hours and made a thread about it. guys have been giving Laine a hardtime over fortnite for years now. this isnt new. sorry if it hurt your feelings

well yeah it was a long time ago but thats where his regressed play started so its easy to keep that talk going on, and who knows maybe he still is addicted to gaming and it takes away from his practice time also helping in his regressed play. injuries didnt help either
Welcome to 2024. We've had a few changes since then.

Reactions: CBJx614

ManWithNoName

Unregistered User
Jul 9, 2017
Gothenburg, Sweden

lol surely you can’t be for real? You are acting as if everything you read online is a 100% accurate and true. Yeah, “guys” have been giving him a hard time, not just any “guys” but the usual suspects and haters. You are confusing facts with opinions and hearsay.

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
I know, hes been pretty good while he's healthy. guy hasnt played a full season or come close to it in forever. and im sorry but the fortnite thing is prob going to follow him the rest his career

What will hurt his ability to get a good return and eventually his ability to get paid when his current contract will not be his point production, a player who can score at a 70-80 pt pace, but his ability to stay healthy and play in a full season or be available for a full playoff run.

And not because of f***ing fortnite, the reason the rumor still exists is because of people like you who continue to spread it. Because people lack the care to dig into something they heard about someone when they were 18-19 years old.

Arthur Morgan

Jul 6, 2016
Toronto
www.youtube.com
lol surely you can’t be for real? You are acting as if everything you read online is a 100% accurate and true. Yeah, “guys” have been giving him a hard time, not just any “guys” but the usual suspects and haters. You are confusing facts with opinions and hearsay.
could be hearsay for sure. I mean I never went and confirmed it just like many players when they do something it follows them.

What will hurt his ability to get a good return and eventually his ability to get paid when his current contract will not be his point production, a player who can score at a 70-80 pt pace, but his ability to stay healthy and play in a full season or be available for a full playoff run.

And not because of f***ing fortnite, the reason the rumor still exists is because of people like you who continue to spread it. Because people lack the care to dig into something they heard about someone when they were 18-19 years old.
lets not pretend Laine is the only player to have it happen to. Im sorry he's your player but its not just going to go away. Matthews still gets ripped for what hes did or Kane with the cab. Im sorry you dont like it but its something your going to have to deal with

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
lets not pretend Laine is the only player to have it happen to. Im sorry he's your player but its not just going to go away. Matthews still gets ripped for what hes did or Kane with the cab. Im sorry you dont like it but its something your going to have to deal with
It's less "dislike it" and more the persistence of folks being clueless enough to double and triple down on it as some kind of legitimate possible reason to justify a presumed malaise that doesn't actually exist.

Clint Eastwood

Eff the Habs
Nov 11, 2018
It's less "dislike it" and more the persistence of folks being clueless enough to double and triple down on it as some kind of legitimate possible reason to justify a presumed malaise that doesn't actually exist.

Also what Kane and Matthews did happened. They were both charged. Laine is just some dumb rumor that started up out of thin air similar to the Perry/Bedard's mom thing.

Arthur Morgan

Jul 6, 2016
Toronto
www.youtube.com
well I dont know what to tell you, dont take things so seriously? I think you will survive this though. but Im sorry likely going to joke about Laine and his fortnite addiction again one day

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
well I dont know what to tell you, dont take things so seriously? I think you will survive this though. but Im sorry likely going to joke about Laine and his fortnite addiction again one day
Jokes, whatever. It's dumb and it dates you but you do you. It's the "this must be why he's so terrible lately" comments that get old, especially when they're followed up to as though they're supposed to be legit positions.

Arthur Morgan

Jul 6, 2016
Toronto
www.youtube.com
Jokes, whatever. It's dumb and it dates you but you do you. It's the "this must be why he's so terrible lately" comments that get old, especially when they're followed up to as though they're supposed to be legit positions.
well sorry you dont like it. I dont know what to tell you. dont get so mad? its not a big deal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad