LeBrun: Patrik Laine wants a fresh start and trade out of Columbus

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hookslide

Nov 19, 2018
Maybe if his contract was only one year? But he’s got two years at a very high cap hit. Plus, could Laine play Bruins hockey? They play a very hard to play against fast style.
Bruins need a goal scorer, and he can be that. You will have other Bruins fans screaming for a center, and that is true but I just don't think what is available to tie up a 6-7 year contract is worth it. Remember two gamble is better than 7 years of Elias lindholm.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Bruins need a goal scorer, and he can be that. You will have other Bruins fans screaming for a center, and that is true but I just don't think what is available to tie up a 6-7 year contract is worth it. Remember two gamble is better than 7 years of Elias lindholm.
Imo the Bruins will sign Lindholm. Unless there’s some kind of connection between their management or coaches or a current core player we don’t know about, I don’t see them having interest in Laine.

belair

Win it for Ben!
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
I still don't see this as a precursor for a trade. For it to make any sense for Columbus, there needs to be a market for the player. He is still a valuable commodity that they've committed quite a lot of resources toward.

Laine is unhappy? Okay. Kid, it's up to you to build up your value. Make teams want Patrik Laine.

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
You're the one missing the point. A player who had a negative value contract walked away from the money to have a fresh start. Laine may need to do the same, or at least prove he can at least be useful for Columbus over a full season first. The caliber of player is irrelevant in this case when it's a negative value contract.

Kuznetsov, who's a similarly overpaid and one-dimensional forward recently out of the program had to be retained 50% to have essentially 0 value.
One of those players never had an actual the career, the other is at the end of his career.

Show me a star in their prime who walked away from more than just a million? Zadina and Kuzy had no other options....

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
Yeah, I still maintain that his play style completely changed after his concussion during his rookie season. Played more timid and perimeter since then and lost a lot of what gave him the strong projections.

And putting me with psycho_dad is pretty ridiculous.

I think that 60 goals, by the way, was a pretty good projection. Who's going to project his injure troubles when he's 18? His best seasons were when he was 18 and 19, who would assume that? Especially when we assume how much scoring has gone up over the years, that was a perfectly reasonable projection, even if it didn't end up going like that. It's the 6th-most goals by a 19-year-old of all time.

What's a lot more pathetic, by the way, is you digging up this 8 years after the fact and mocking people for it.

He was a rookie/2nd year player being placed on a star offensive team where he just got to stand there and bomb.

Other top 2 picks over the years in the pre cap era had way less talent to work with.
He never had any where near the tools
Yeah, I still maintain that his play style completely changed after his concussion during his rookie season. Played more timid and perimeter since then and lost a lot of what gave him the strong projections.

And putting me with psycho_dad is pretty ridiculous.

I think that 60 goals, by the way, was a pretty good projection. Who's going to project his injure troubles when he's 18? His best seasons were when he was 18 and 19, who would assume that? Especially when we assume how much scoring has gone up over the years, that was a perfectly reasonable projection, even if it didn't end up going like that. It's the 6th-most goals by a 19-year-old of all time.

What's a lot more pathetic, by the way, is you digging up this 8 years after the fact and mocking people for it.

I don’t know. If I recall correctly, you were the one who said the NHL was biased because he got measured in the afternoon so he was shorter and Matthews was in the morning so it was a conspiracy.

The takes were way off and way over the top. Which happens. This “anomaly” talk was reminiscent of the 5. The only reason you were brought up was because the poster asked who I was referring to.

Nothing. More.

Laine was never going to outscore ovy. He had none of the tools to last long. He had a good shot and was on a monster offensive team. Was used to playing with men so he peaked early.

Young players don’t get to play with buff chief wheeler etc generally

Hookslide

Nov 19, 2018
Imo the Bruins will sign Lindholm. Unless there’s some kind of connection between their management or coaches or a current core player we don’t know about, I don’t see them having interest in Laine.
You are probably right, but I, think Lindholm will not be a good signing, and not a deal that will age well, Laine, I get the reluctance, but sometimes you need to take a shot and hope it pans out two years is better than 7 .

TS Quint

GET THESE ADS OUT OF MY WAY!
Sep 8, 2012
Lmao

You're gonna sit there and compare Filip f***ing Zadina to Laine? Laine has scored more points in his first two years in the league, hell he's scored more in his two 55 game seasons in Columbus than Zadina has scored in his entire career.

Laine makes more in one season than Zadina has made in his entire career. You think he's going to just let close to 20 million burn to ash for what?

Show me an established player, who was making more than 5 million a season who has just dissolve their current contract just to get another deal, let alone take a league minimum deal.

y'all are missing the point anyway. If he's even somewhat healthy over the rest of his current deal, someone WILL pay him 8-9M. His rate of production will command it. Combined with a rising cap there will be a GM who thinks he can make it work. Whether you agree it's a good or bad can be debated.

I personally wouldn't re-sign him in Columbus. We have players who can replace his production that are younger, cheaper and can stay healthy. But that doesn't mean there won't be a few teams out there who won't throw money at him.

The cap is expected to rise again next season and if the TV ratings continue into the following seasons, I won't be surprised if the cap only continues to rise. Lesser players than Laine are going to get absolutely paid. It's the nature of league.
This is the strongest arguement I've seen that he isn't worth his contract and it will cost to move him at that price ice seen in this thread.

I think a great fit is Boston. Some retention and he has a strong leadership and team philosophy to prove himself in.
Laine consistently shows he can't be lead. He asks for trades because the leadership group wants him to hit the gym once in a while.

TS Quint

Sep 8, 2012
He was a rookie/2nd year player being placed on a star offensive team where he just got to stand there and bomb.

Other top 2 picks over the years in the pre cap era had way less talent to work with.
He never had any where near the tools

I don’t know. If I recall correctly, you were the one who said the NHL was biased because he got measured in the afternoon so he was shorter and Matthews was in the morning so it was a conspiracy.

The takes were way off and way over the top. Which happens. This “anomaly” talk was reminiscent of the 5. The only reason you were brought up was because the poster asked who I was referring to.

Nothing. More.

Laine was never going to outscore ovy. He had none of the tools to last long. He had a good shot and was on a monster offensive team. Was used to playing with men so he peaked early.

Young players don’t get to play with buff chief wheeler etc generally
If you compare Laine to others in his age group like Marner and Rantenen they got far better centres to play with : McKinnon/Matthews Vs Bryan Little.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
If you compare Laine to others in his age group like Marner and Rantenen they got far better centres to play with : McKinnon/Matthews Vs Bryan Little.

He scored on a stacked pp where he stood there because people had to watch better players.

Also. 2016 mackinnon sucked.

No one was saying they are going to be the best goal scorer of all time.

The predictions were insane. 70 goals in a 40 goal league. Best player since Mario.

Beat ovy in rockets. It was mind blowing

• Haha
Reactions: TS Quint

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
This is the strongest arguement I've seen that he isn't worth his contract and it will cost to move him at that price ice seen in this thread.

Laine consistently shows he can't be lead. He asks for trades because the leadership group wants him to hit the gym once in a while.
You might feel that way, but there's 32 GMs in the league and far more pro scouts and advisors.

Majority of them don't all think the exact same way. There absolutely will be guys out there that will take the risk. Id bet all my HF money on it 😂

Reactions: Indy18

TS Quint

Sep 8, 2012
He scored on a stacked pp where he stood there because people had to watch better players.

Also. 2016 mackinnon sucked.

No one was saying they are going to be the best goal scorer of all time.

The predictions were insane. 70 goals in a 40 goal league. Best player since Mario.

Beat ovy in rockets. It was mind blowing
2016 McKinnon sucked? So what? You can just not say anything if you don't have a clue what you are talking about. I'll just end it there and not get into the rest of the post.

DelZottoHitTheNetJK

Mar 10, 2011
I can guarantee you, there are teams in this league who are willing to take on his full cap hit. Also, while Laine wants the reset, Columbus are not really in a hurry to move him roster construction wise. Sure, they'd like to do it but they are not desperate to clear his capspace.

No chance anyone is taking the full cap hit without big cap going back the other way. Cap space these days is as much an asset as picks and prospects. Even teams that can afford to take him on aren't gonna do CBJ any massive favors and take him without sending something gross back.

Sure, Columbus may not have to retain but they'll have to take back a big piece that's equally as bad as Laine's money or worse.

Reactions: HabsAddict

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
Dubois needs a fresh start.

PLD for Laine?
Dude for the 1000th time, its not funny and it doesn't make sense.

PLD gets boo'd when he comes to Columbus. Yeah let's trade for a hated player who is on an albatross of a long term deal for a player who only has 2 years left on his deal.

No chance anyone is taking the full cap hit without big cap going back the other way. Cap space these days is as much an asset as picks and prospects. Even teams that can afford to take him on aren't gonna do CBJ any massive favors and take him without sending something gross back.

Sure, Columbus may not have to retain but they'll have to take back a big piece that's equally as bad as Laine's money or worse.
Utah literally has to spend 20 million just to get to the cap FLOOR. Teams will certainly take the risk.

Sure the list is smaller but there are a few teams who would be willing take on the cap.

Indy18

Aug 17, 2023
Dude for the 1000th time, its not funny and it doesn't make sense.

PLD gets boo'd when he comes to Columbus. Yeah let's trade for a hated player who is on an albatross of a long term deal for a player who only has 2 years left on his deal.

Utah literally has to spend 20 million just to get to the cap FLOOR. Teams will certainly take the risk.

Sure the list is smaller but there are a few teams who would be willing take on the cap.
Very possible...I see about 20mil in signings this summer unless they want to go long term on one of their RFAs so I see their team being around 65ish million right now. Now if he's just handed off without any retention I could see one of their many 2nds in 24/25 being passed off to Columbus.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
2016 McKinnon sucked? So what? You can just not say anything if you don't have a clue what you are talking about. I'll just end it there and not get into the rest of the post.

16 goals. 52 points.

He openly admitted to literally being in therapy because he was worried he was going to be a bust

He was no where near who he is now.
I think you are mis remembering things.

HabsAddict

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site

He's probably going for next to nothing on a few teams that have cap space.

But he's also going to be the focus and unlikely to be sheltered.

There is no scenario where he's a peripheral, non pressure player on any team...with that 8.7 million salary.

Good luck to him...

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
for all we know his video addiction moved onto something else. he has not played like himself for a number of seasons now
Yeah let's speculate where there's no actual evidence of anything. He's had a few concussions and surgeries, combined with losing his father who was his best friend and his major support figure for his entire hockey life.

These guys aren't just robots who can switch their thoughts off. Losing someone like that could seriously kill someones drive, especially compared to his 18 yo self for example. His inability to stay healthy combined with being on a team who has essentially been a lottery team his entire time here, it's not a surprise he's been struggling. A struggle he may never get over.

"He’s been my … No. 1 fan and supporter, always,” Laine said of his father. “Not that my mom and sister haven’t been, but hockey was kind of our thing, our passion. I definitely wouldn’t be here without him."
“He always watched my game, ever since I was a kid. He always wakes up at night to watch my games, so it’s definitely tough. I’m losing my best friend.”

Beukeboom Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Chicago, IL
Visit site
Options like?
Zero chance the Csnes offer JK for Laine anyway.
Laine, unless he agrees to terminate his contract, is on CBJ next season. If he plays well, shows interest, then he might find a new club at the 2025 TDL. Even then CBJ would need to retain 50% and have a third team retain 25%. He’s just really not a player anyone will want right now. Not for any sugar added.
Strongly disagree with this. A team like the Hawks (or Utah) would 100% be willing to take a chance on Laine if the price was right from an asset perspective. The term is relatively short, and if it doesn't work the pain is relatively short lived.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad