Player Discussion: Patrik Laine IVever: a new hope? (Laine out of PAP, trade request still stands)

Status
Not open for further replies.

CBJx614

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 25, 2012
C-137
McGroarty is good but he's not this prospect that can command multiple 1st people think he is. Laine at 30% for McGroarty is actually a fair trade. A 5-6mil Laine is actually a fair exchange if you value a mid round 1st draft pick at 4-5mil with that cost on retention
I've been thinking the trade between the two seems the most logical, especially if there's mutual interest from Mcgroarty and the FO. I'm not sure what the pluses would be, but there'd definitely need to be something added to Mcgroarty, Laine's value might be less than it once was, but he's still more valuable than a unproven kid who hasnt played and is attempting to force his way out.

squashmaple

gudbranson apologist
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2022
Columbus
I've been thinking the trade between the two seems the most logical, especially if there's mutual interest from Mcgroarty and the FO. I'm not sure what the pluses would be, but there'd definitely need to be something added to Mcgroarty, Laine's value might be less than it once was, but he's still more valuable than a unproven kid who hasnt played and is attempting to force his way out.
Nah, we add or take back bad money. McGroarty is still the Jets second best prospect after Lambert even with this, and Laine at 8.7mil and nothing but question marks doesn’t get you that.

Reactions: domi28 and Indy18

Indy18

Aug 17, 2023
Nah, we add or take back bad money. McGroarty is still the Jets second best prospect after Lambert even with this, and Laine at 8.7mil and nothing but question marks doesn’t get you that.
I feel like a $5-6mil Laine gets them somewhere. I wish we still had capfriendly because don't the jets have like 5 or so mil left in Cap even if we take back an expiring contract?

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002
This has been known for a long time. But not every draft pick and prospect are the same. Also don't forgot Laine has 10 non trade teams.

CAR, DAL, FLA have the most Finnish players, I wonder if that would make it easier to find a fit with these teams, not so much Florida given how little cap space they have.

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
CAR, DAL, FLA have the most Finnish players, I wonder if that would make it easier to find a fit with these teams, not so much Florida given how little cap space they have.
No one of them does not need Laine. Also Carolina does not have free salary cup. Although Dallas too.

CBJx614

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 25, 2012
C-137
two years of laine at $4.35m (50% retention) should be enough for a really good unsigned NCAA prospect imo.
I don't even know if we'd need to retain that much(from a straight value point of view), however with them needing to for cap purposes, that's where the + back our way would come into play.

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
Great! 👌🏻

And now I hope this Santa Barbara will finish as soon as possible (best so that Patrick to stay).

EDIT: I await new proposals worthy of the symptoms of severe heat stroke. :sarcasm:

Last edited:
Reactions: Farmboy Patty

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
@Marioesque @Vapaatunnus and other Finnish fans. I would like to ask you on some thing. One fan (not English speaking, translate is mine) wrote about Laine's interview in your Finnish channel, see bellow. Is it right?

... It was after that interview on the Finnish channel in June that I told you about today that Laine said even then that he was ready to come back and that the trade would be to a playoff level team, that he was tired of losing, bad luck, injuries, etc...

ThirdPeriodTurtle

Sponsor
Jul 13, 2022
Finland
AFAIK Laine hasn't said anything to local media in months. So unless there's a link I'd say it's hearsay or conjecture.

Of course that doesn't mean that he doesn't want to be traded to a playoff team. I'd well imagine that he might prefer a smaller market (like Columbus) but also one that has a higher chance of winning. Florida would've been perfect but I could see many others working too.

CBJx614

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 25, 2012
C-137
AFAIK Laine hasn't said anything to local media in months. So unless there's a link I'd say it's hearsay or conjecture.

Of course that doesn't mean that he doesn't want to be traded to a playoff team. I'd well imagine that he might prefer a smaller market (like Columbus) but also one that has a higher chance of winning. Florida would've been perfect but I could see many others working too.
The only thing we have ( too lazy to look) was a report in the last few weeks IIRC where his agent said he was still looking to be traded.

CBJx614

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 25, 2012
C-137
I have not seen any interviews of him in a long time so not sure what that is referring to.
There's literally a posting on the previous page from Waddell that says he was told by his agent that he still wants a change of scenery.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad