Player Discussion: Patrik Laine IVever: a new hope? (CBJ, Laine agree to seek trade)

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
I want to know if D-Wad can talk to other teams about Laine. Not if other teams can talk to him.

Of course no one is going to trade for him until he comes off and they can talk to him. But you’re saying that accessibility increases his value in trade? Or just increases potential interest in the player?
Yes, GMDW can speak with anyone about him. Could have a trade framework in place but waiting for him to exit so said team can speak directly with him

Reactions: Double-Shift Lasse

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Jenner, Voro & Marchenko have the least the offensive potential in my books, so that's the clear permanent 3rd line for me. Build them into a good shutdown line. I'd also start Johnny and Monahan together to add comfortability. Fantilli 2C, and then rest of the pieces can move around

Johnny - Monahan - KJ
Chinakhov - Fantilli - Laine
Voronkov - Jenner - Marchenko

That might have the makings of a solid two-way line. It's the first two that I think will fail.

Johnny - Monahan - KJ is slow and weak. The puck is on the wall/corners for most of the game and these guys can't dig it out. They need a stronger quicker player.

Reactions: domi28

CBJx614

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 25, 2012
C-137
That might have the makings of a solid two-way line. It's the first two that I think will fail.

Johnny - Monahan - KJ is slow and weak. The puck is on the wall/corners for most of the game and these guys can't dig it out. They need a stronger quicker player.
I can't help but wonder, if Voronkov isn't going to play center, how he'd look on that line with Johnny and Monahan...

Put KJ that third line, now he's the guy the puck moves through on the third.

Reactions: puckgoalnet

Ice9

Jun 25, 2016
In the woods
To me, it will depend on whether Laine is adamant to be traded because he hates it or is thinking based on everything from last year it'd just might be good for him.

SteelCityCannon

Mar 25, 2017
I can't help but wonder, if Voronkov isn't going to play center, how he'd look on that line with Johnny and Monahan...

Put KJ that third line, now he's the guy the puck moves through on the third.
Oh man...I like that idea. Feel like that line has a little bit of everything. I want to see Vronk play center but it doesnt seem like its in the cards unless someone gets hurt.

Reactions: ClevelandJacketFan

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Oh man...I like that idea. Feel like that line has a little bit of everything. I want to see Vronk play center but it doesnt seem like its in the cards unless someone gets hurt.

Why?

It sort of seems that way because people don't talk as much about him. Wads or Porty will be enumerating our centers and seem to forget that Voronkov exists.

But that's not justifiable if you compare how they played last year. Voronkov had better results than any of them.

CBJx614

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 25, 2012
C-137
Why?

It sort of seems that way because people don't talk as much about him. Wads or Porty will be enumerating our centers and seem to forget that Voronkov exists.

But that's not justifiable if you compare how they played last year. Voronkov had better results than any of them.
That's only in the scenario that we're going into the season running Monahan/Fantilli/Sillinger as Waddell implied. Ideally we'd be running Voronkov in that mix as well and hopefully a competent coach would be able to ID that.

Indy18

Aug 17, 2023
Why?

I just hope his endurance is more up to pace this year but I wouldn't be opposed to this idea if he can.

SteelCityCannon

Mar 25, 2017
Why?

Monahan and Fantilli are locks at center. I would say Kuraly is a lock at 4c. That leaves Voronkov, Jenner, and Sillinger fighting for 3c. I think it's Sillingers to lose.

Trust me I love Voronkov, I'm just looking at the numbers game here.

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Sponsor
Jan 12, 2011
Monahan and Fantilli are locks at center. I would say Kuraly is a lock at 4c. That leaves Voronkov, Jenner, and Sillinger fighting for 3c. I think it's Sillingers to lose.

Trust me I love Voronkov, I'm just looking at the numbers game here.
Voronkov showed more skill than Sillinger and once he settled in played well at center. To me, Sillinger looks like a bottom 6 winger or center.

Reactions: Farmboy Patty

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
I've been looking at team rosters. Laine has nowhere to be traded. Maybe to Carolina to Kotkaniemi (I'm sure he'd help Jesperi), but Canes have nothing to offer. Something similar is Montreal. It don't trade assets and take useless players for us, plus keep part of the salary... . In short, I think he should stay one more season.

Last edited:
Reactions: squashmaple

NotCommitted

Jul 4, 2013
A three-way deal, with Laine to Canes (or similar team), picks from Canes to a rebuilding team and a roster player from rebuilding team to CBJ as the basis. Might make the most sense, maybe at TDL.

Reactions: Farmboy Patty

Aaaarrgghh

Jul 17, 2022
I've been looking at team rosters. Laine has nowhere to be traded. Maybe to Carolina to Kotkaniemi (I'm sure he'd help Jesperi), but Canes have nothing to offer. Something similar is Montreal. It don't trade assets and take useless players for us, plus keep part of the salary... . In short, I think he should stay one more season.
I'd imagine Anaheim, Boston, Buffalo, Calgary, Carolina, Colorado, Minnesota, Montréal, New York Islanders, Pittsburgh, Seattle and Vegas would have some degree of interest. The question is what they would be willing to give up and if it's enough for Columbus. I can see a contender be willing to take a risk on Laine if they think that his goalscoring ability might help them take that last step. If I had to guess, I'd still say that he goes to the Islanders. Wherever he goes, I'd be very surprised if Columbus didn't have to retain anything, though.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Porty suggests in his Sunday gathering that the longer he stays in the program, the harder it is to trade him. He says GMs are starting to pack up and go on summer break.

Again, assuming he gets out of the program, I think Laine is like 60% starting the year in Columbus.

CBJx614

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 25, 2012
C-137
Porty suggests in his Sunday gathering that the longer he stays in the program, the harder it is to trade him. He says GMs are starting to pack up and go on summer break.

Again, assuming he gets out of the program, I think Laine is like 60% starting the year in Columbus.
At this point it's kind of what I'm assuming. Teams are going to go into the season with their units, but as injuries and players underperform start to show, a guy like Laine could look really appealing.

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
I'd imagine Anaheim, Boston, Buffalo, Calgary, Carolina, Colorado, Minnesota, Montréal, New York Islanders, Pittsburgh, Seattle and Vegas would have some degree of interest. The question is what they would be willing to give up and if it's enough for Columbus. I can see a contender be willing to take a risk on Laine if they think that his goalscoring ability might help them take that last step. If I had to guess, I'd still say that he goes to the Islanders. Wherever he goes, I'd be very surprised if Columbus didn't have to retain anything, though.
  1. Laine has M-NTC.
  2. Calgary and Buffalo are among these teams.
  3. Carolina must resign Jarvis and Drury.
  4. Boston must resign Swayman, also Marchand's contract will finish after the next season and has many players with non-trade list.
  5. Seattle must resign Berniers, players in TOP 9 have minimum M-NTC.
  6. Pittsburgh has problems with M-NTC too - Rackell, Bunting, Hayes, Jarry.
  7. Isles must resign Dobson after the next season - Lee, Paugeau, Palmieri, Engval are M-NTC, Duclair (!), Pulock and Pelech - NTC.
  8. Minnesota too, Zuccarello, Foligno, Hartman, Brodin - NMC, Johansson - NTC, Gaudreau - M-NTC, must resign Rossi and Faber after the next season.
  9. Vegas - it is possible. Only Carlsson, Theodore and McNabbe are M-NTC, all important players are signed.
  10. Montréal must trade one of Andersson/Dvorak but they have M-NTC. Gallagher NMC. But Slafkovský will have $7,600,00 cap from 2024/25 season. Although Dvorak and Armia contracts will finish after the next season.
  11. Colorado - forget. Rantanen's contract will finish after the next season, Nichushkin will return, maybe even Landeskog.

In short, not only would we have to take some of the salary, but we'd still get beans for him, and that's not even a fact.

Last edited:
Reactions: domi28

Nanabijou

Booooooooooone
Dec 22, 2009
Columbus, Ohio
Laine has M-NTC.
Calgary and Buffalo are among these teams.
Carolina just resign Jarvis and Drury.
Boston must resign Swagman, also Marchand's contract ends after the next season.
Seattle must resign Berniers, players in TOP 9 have minimum M-NTC.
If Laine really wants to get out of Columbus for a new start, and who knows if that is true at this point, then I don't think the M-NTC will be an issue. The M-NTC really only gives the player leverage if they are good with staying put if a trade with a preferred team doesn't come about.

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
If Laine really wants to get out of Columbus for a new start, and who knows if that is true at this point, then I don't think the M-NTC will be an issue. The M-NTC really only gives the player leverage if they are good with staying put if a trade with a preferred team doesn't come about.
That's nice, but the team also has its interests. And doubt he thinks can restart his career in every team.

--

I think there can be two teams too if only salary, St. Louis and Tampa. St. Louis can trade Kapanen. Tampa Cirelli, he is without non-trade list. If, for example, Laine and Sillinger for Cirelli and something (and then we can trade Andrew), why not? It has $$5,750,000 free, if Cirelli out - $12,000,000.

I would very wish the xxx/Saad - Dvorský - Laine already in the next season. But I am realist and even doubt St. Louis interests in him.

Last edited:

Nanabijou

Booooooooooone
Dec 22, 2009
Columbus, Ohio
I just looked on CapFriendly (RIP soon...) and Laine would have been paid $2 million this past July 1 with his signing bonus. I know players get paid while they are in PAP. If his contract was insured, could the insurance company be paying that bonus and his salary during the season? I'm not sure something like this would be covered by insurance.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
I just looked on CapFriendly (RIP soon...) and Laine would have been paid $2 million this past July 1 with his signing bonus. I know players get paid while they are in PAP. If his contract was insured, could the insurance company be paying that bonus and his salary during the season? I'm not sure something like this would be covered by insurance.
I believe while in the program Laine is getting paid by the NHL, not the CBJ. So, regardless of if his contract is insured, I believe the NHL is paying.

domi28

Dec 5, 2017
I think it would be best to move him as soon as we can.

Ready to get this over with.

I want to see Laine moved out before the preseason starts just so I don't have to listen to every postgame interview centered around is the team close to trading you/are you happy now/why did you ask to be traded/is there something wrong with the Jackets/etc. Having Laine, and to a lesser extent Elvis, still on the roster once preseason starts would be a huge distraction taking away from what should be the focus which is the almost obscene amount of young talent this team has. If that means Waddell doesn't get the return he is expecting then so be it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad