Player Discussion: Patrik Laine IVever: a new hope? (CBJ, Laine agree to seek trade)

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Aaaarrgghh

Jul 17, 2022
@majormajor, you are a Seattle fan too. What do you think about Gourde + Oleksiak for Laine with picks to balance it out? I guess Seattle trading Dumoulin decreases the likelihood of them moving Oleksiak, but it would address two of Columbus' needs: a defensive C (though maybe not top 6) and penalty killer on D.

Speedy Sanderson

Jan 29, 2012
Ducks fan here, I was thinking the same, just not sure what we could actually offer that makes sense for both teams.
Freeing up cap space would be a nice return along with a good draft pick. Seriously, if the CBJ don't need to retain salary or just a little bit, I bet the Jackets would take it.

DavidBL

Jul 25, 2012
Orange, CA
Freeing up cap space would be a nice return along with a good draft pick. Seriously, if the CBJ don't need to retain salary or just a little bit, I bet the Jackets would take it.
What kind of picks. Have to imagine our first is off limits as there is no idea where that will land, though right now it looks likely top 5.

Aaaarrgghh

Jul 17, 2022
What kind of picks. Have to imagine our first is off limits as there is no idea where that will land, though right now it looks likely top 5.
CBJ have plenty of cap space, so that's not really an issue. Anaheim would be silly to trade their 1st next year for Laine, with or without retention. As for the return in a Laine trade, unless the pick is so high (say top 15) or prospect so ridiculously promising (for instance, Sennecke) that the Blue Jackets basically have to take it, they will be looking for a hockey trade. I just don't see Anaheim and Columbus being trading partners here.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus

What is the asking price for Patrick Laine?

Look Don Waddell isn't on here, so we're all just guessing or hoping or whatever.

I'd like to think the asking price is not picks or cap space. Rather, the return for Laine should be a contributing roster player, a proven NHL player who's ideally between the ages of 26-31, who isn't a cap dump, who doesn't have to be a star player but should be a legitimate NHL player who the Jackets can assume will hold down a roster spot and not be a detriment to the team and allow them to continue to develop their young players and their overall cohesiveness.

To me, that's an underpay for Laine, who, I assume, the acquiring team would hope he would return to his star player form. But it allows for the inherent risk we all understand.

The quality of that player and how well he meets those criteria can determine whether retention or picks (in either direction) then need to be part of the equation.

Last edited:
Reactions: Xoggz22 and CBJx614

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
@majormajor, you are a Seattle fan too. What do you think about Gourde + Oleksiak for Laine with picks to balance it out? I guess Seattle trading Dumoulin decreases the likelihood of them moving Oleksiak, but it would address two of Columbus' needs: a defensive C (though maybe not top 6) and penalty killer on D.

I like it for both clubs. But Ron gave everyone NTCs so a Seattle trade is likely impossible. They're also up against the cap now.

Reactions: Aaaarrgghh

Speedy Sanderson

Jan 29, 2012
CBJ have plenty of cap space, so that's not really an issue. Anaheim would be silly to trade their 1st next year for Laine, with or without retention. As for the return in a Laine trade, unless the pick is so high (say top 15) or prospect so ridiculously promising (for instance, Sennecke) that the Blue Jackets basically have to take it, they will be looking for a hockey trade. I just don't see Anaheim and Columbus being trading partners here.
CBJ has plenty of cap space, though will have a little less after the RFA signings of Marchenko, Johnson, etc., but I think Waddell will want a ton of cap space for next summer, and having Laine off the books will be huge. Sure, a hockey trade would be great, but not sure that happens. I think the CBJ are going to be a cap floor team this year.

Aaaarrgghh

Jul 17, 2022
CBJ has plenty of cap space, though will have a little less after the RFA signings of Marchenko, Johnson, etc., but I think Waddell will want a ton of cap space for next summer, and having Laine off the books will be huge. Sure, a hockey trade would be great, but not sure that happens. I think the CBJ are going to be a cap floor team this year.
They're going to have approximately $6.3M in cap space even with Laine on the books. Next year, they'll have around $12.4M more space with the cap increasing by an estimated $6M. Which means that even with Laine on the roster, they will have around $22.7M in cap space. Cap space will not be an issue. And I think the important off-season for CBJ will be 2026, when – assuming two-year bridge deals for Johnson and Sillinger – most of the young guys will be up for contract renewals. Laine's deal ends then too. Cap space is not an issue.

What is the asking price for Patrick Laine?
No idea what the Blue Jackets want or can get. But, in my opinion, the return should include one of the following:
  • A top 6 two-way C/RW to play with Gaudreau and Monahan.
  • A quality shutdown D.
  • Assets to acquire one of the two above.

Last edited:

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio
The guy on Montreal that we could use is WiFi. Big 3rd line left D. I think we could work something out with Montreal if they are willing to trade Xhekaj. They dump Armia or Dvorak and give us Xhekaj. We give them Laine and a French speaker like Guillaume Richard. If they don’t want to dump a guy, Xhekaj for Laine and Dumais. I don’t know if they want to trade Xhekaj, but they have Guhle and Matheson on the left side plus Lane Hutson coming up. Although I think they play left shot guys in the right side.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I've been trying to think of other options but keep coming back to Vegas and McNabb.

I could see Vegas wanting Laine, their wingers look like shit. But they don't have cap space. They'd have to send a nearly equivalent amount of cap back and I think it might be impossible.

The guy on Montreal that we could use is WiFi. Big 3rd line left D. I think we could work something out with Montreal if they are willing to trade Xhekaj. They dump Armia or Dvorak and give us Xhekaj. We give them Laine and a French speaker like Guillaume Richard. If they don’t want to dump a guy, Xhekaj for Laine and Dumais. I don’t know if they want to trade Xhekaj, but they have Guhle and Matheson on the left side plus Lane Hutson coming up. Although I think they play left shot guys in the right side.

The Habs FO and their fans are all obsessed with Xhekaj, they think he's going to be an amazing playoff warrior for them when they contend. He's not available.

squashmaple

gudbranson apologist
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2022
Columbus
Not surprised. What do they think of Lane Hutson? I’m not interested in him for the Jackets, but I am curious.
They’re even more obsessed with him. He scored a ton of points in college even though he can’t skate, so to them he’s the top defensive prospect in the world.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad