Confirmed with Link: Patrik Laine and 2026 2nd round pick acquired from the Blue Jackets in exchange for Jordan Harris

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Especially when we would have the ability to retain salary if we move him in his second year.
Yep. Weaponizing cap space. We could trade him and eat the entire thing. That would make Laine extremely valuable to a contender.

Remember when we signed Price, let everyone go and had 10 mil in open cap space? :laugh: Hugo gets it. Cap space is valuable. You can alway leverage it for picks/prospects.

Reactions: Nedved

Draft

Jan 23, 2013
My first posts speculating on MTL as a good landing spot for Laine were in January. Then again in April. There was not a whole lot of positivity or interest from posters at that time, but I don’t think anyone imagined a deal this lopsided :laugh:

If Laine can fill a top-6 spot throughout the duration of his contract, this is a huge win.

JoelWarlord

May 7, 2012
Halifax
and this seems like almost his "last chance" in the nhl. We will see how bad Laine wants it.
I doubt it’s his last chance. He’s always produced when he plays, the issue is he hasn’t been playing much.
Yeah agree, Laine has disappointed relative to his early promise but he's still basically tracking like Mike Hoffman at worst and Hoffman stuck around for a long time.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
I just love every aspect of this move. Keeping our powder dry all summer instead of throwing money at a bunch of new Joel Armias and Christian Dvoraks for the sake of making a change, solving the D waiver logjam while getting value for Harris, adding a top 6 winger to ensure Suzuki and Dach both have support, the trickle-down effect of Dvorak now having one of Roy or Newhook on his line, and the 2 year trial term before making a long term financial decision is just all great cap and asset management. I've been hoping this would happen all summer but I just didn't really believe that Laine would truly be this cheap.

Deep down I don't really believe that Laine is going to regain the early promise and become a consistent 40-50 goal guy or anyhthing, but you can't rule out the possibility and I could see Laine really clicking here after getting a big Bell Centre moment playing for a fanbase with passion again. Even if he's "just" the ppg 30-35G pace guy he was in Columbus that's still a great addition when all it cost was money.

Yeah a lot of the basement teams that "progressed" this summer were basically just signing their own equivalents to Gallagher, Dvorak, Armia, and Savard. Glad we stayed out of that nonsense and went this route instead, and we can probably pluck a guy off waivers to compete with Pezzetta for the 12th forward spot if none of our prospects earn that spot.

My biggest worry about Laine isn't attitude or style of play. It's his ability to stay healthy.

bonneaug

Aug 2, 2017
I'm not sure who made the mashup video we saw after the draft of Demidov dishing it out to Caufield and Suzy, but if that guy could make the same thing with Dach feeding Laine, that would be appreciated.

Thank you

Last edited:

PavelBrendl

Jul 9, 2013
I just love every aspect of this move. Keeping our powder dry all summer instead of throwing money at a bunch of new Joel Armias and Christian Dvoraks for the sake of making a change, solving the D waiver logjam while getting value for Harris, adding a top 6 winger to ensure Suzuki and Dach both have support, the trickle-down effect of Dvorak now having one of Roy or Newhook on his line, and the 2 year trial term before making a long term financial decision is just all great cap and asset management. I've been hoping this would happen all summer but I just didn't really believe that Laine would truly be this cheap.

Deep down I don't really believe that Laine is going to regain the early promise and become a consistent 40-50 goal guy or anyhthing, but you can't rule out the possibility and I could see Laine really clicking here after getting a big Bell Centre moment playing for a fanbase with passion again. Even if he's "just" the ppg 30-35G pace guy he was in Columbus that's still a great addition when all it cost was money.

Yeah a lot of the basement teams that "progressed" this summer were basically just signing their own equivalents to Gallagher, Dvorak, Armia, and Savard. Glad we stayed out of that nonsense and went this route instead, and we can probably pluck a guy off waivers to compete with Pezzetta for the 12th forward spot if none of our prospects earn that spot.
Scoring at a PPG pace on that Columbus team is actually a very impressive feat. Along with Rick Nash and Artemi Panarin, Laine is one of only 3 players in franchise histroy to pace for a PPG season. Granted he didn't play 82 games.

If you look at who he played with there, he was on an island. He scored at a better clip than Voracek, who was at the end of his career and Gaudreau, who's now seeing his offence dry up. Nobody else was even close.

electron58

Jun 29, 2024
It’s amazing to have a GM that values skill as an asset. The past regime thought you needed a bunch of lunch pail players that would outwork the opposition. Skill was frowned upon, you can’t have a subban on your team who actually gives a f*** and takes chances to try and win games with his enormous skill. Those days are f***ing gone.

I couldn’t be happier even if Laine were to crash and burn. This is right risk to take.
I still have a hard time liking your quotes with that avatar lurking. I did a "like" despite it tho. 😎

He could be Monahan 2.0. Let’s hope so.

As much as I want Roy in the top six this takes some pressure of him and gives us depth. I’m glad it’s a dump, anything other than this and I’d have been pretty pissed.
Monahan 3.0?!?🤞

Nico Cauzuki

Jul 19, 2009
King Of The North
IMG_2357.jpeg

Reactions: Rozz and waitin425

Stive Morgan

Fatso forgot to shake my hand
Jul 25, 2011
British Columbia
This trade is unbelievable value. The way I see it, they were the only team willing to take a chance on Laine that had no problem fitting him under the cap for the next 2 years. I feel the planets were aligned, so to speak. Very much a now or never with this type of player, so I love to see Hughes jump at the opportunity.

The fact that he came with a 2nd round pick for a player who was going to be in a dog fight to get NHL time this year with Guhle, Hutson, Matheson and Xhekaj all clearly ahead of him on the depth chart at LD is just insane. This trade is pure found money.

I've still got a Jets jersey with Laine's name on from a game I went to in Winnipeg in 2017. Time to staple a Habs logo on it. He just better not wear #92. That's bad juju.
I hope he wears #27 but gets Kovalev's juju instead of Drouin's.

Now we just need him to cap off a 5-0 comeback against the Rangers and have Suzuki score the shootout winner :naughty:

HomaridII

May 23, 2006
Montreal, Canada

"Now, the Canadiens get to have their cake and eat it, too. Not only did they add a player with the potential to score 40 goals on a line with Slafkovsky or Nick Suzuki, but they also picked up their 15th pick in the first four rounds of the next two drafts. Between Laine, Suzuki, Slafkovsky, Cole Caufield, Kirby Dach, and Ivan Demidov, the Canadiens already have one of the strongest young forward groups in the NHL, and they also have all the pieces they need to make it even better in the years to come."

G0bias

Oct 4, 2007
MTL
Let’s not act like we have strong leadership room though. We have a young group who learns how to be leaders together but no one will has the aura to
put in his place an establish player like Laine like we had in 2021
Yeah, if Weber was still here he’d fire up Fortnite himself and stare at Laine until he’d shut down his game

HomaridII

May 23, 2006
Montreal, Canada

"People talk, its montreal and its pressure, guess what, having played there, Montreal fans have a deep affection for extremely talented skillful guys who are mercurial, I played with Kovalev there, they loved Kovy. Laine can bring the same flare and skill. The Canadiens fans will really embrace Patrik Laine and he will really embrace living and playing in a city that is that passionate about him" - Mike Johnson

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
Scoring at a PPG pace on that Columbus team is actually a very impressive feat. Along with Rick Nash and Artemi Panarin, Laine is one of only 3 players in franchise histroy to pace for a PPG season. Granted he didn't play 82 games.

If you look at who he played with there, he was on an island. He scored at a better clip than Voracek, who was at the end of his career and Gaudreau, who's now seeing his offence dry up. Nobody else was even close.
He played better without them. 😏

Kennerback

Jun 2, 2021
I went looking after I posted lol. Was Feschuk. He's out of touch. PPG player in 22-23 and 23-24, albeit less than 60 games per. The media thing is gonna be overblown because Laine is not French Canadian. I expect he'll be treated like Kovalev was if he comes in and works hard.

I'm quietly impressed with Corrado. I think he's done a solid job in front of the camera and as a colour analyst.

Unlike in Win (where fans loved him) and in Columbus, he comes in Montreal with rock bottom expectations from fans, aside from potting a few goals. He literally has no pressure. Everything is gravy.

Reactions: waitin425

GrandmaCookie

Feb 10, 2019
That's what they said ? Really ? Pas fort :rolleyes:
Can you believe it lmao? I just want to precise this is not Guillaume or Maxim who said that, just a dude who called their open line. I don’t know how they reacted to this beside a « bin non » from Latendresse because I closed this cringe fest ASAP after that.

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
My biggest worry about Laine isn't attitude or style of play. It's his ability to stay healthy.
A legitimate concern….

As for mental health, we may see Montreal'spressure cooker as a negative but I believe it will be the opposite.

First, we gave up a defenseman who in my opinion was behind Guhle, Matheson, Xhekaj, and Struble….so no we gave up Sergachev pressure…plus we got a 2nd rounder so everything velvet there.

Insulated….he’s gonna be playing behind Suzy, Cauf, Slaf and Dach. Plus all eyes will be on Slaf, and Hutson this year, and when Demidov and Reinbacher and Mailloux make the club, pfff….lots of new toys to talk about which will leave Laine to do his thing.

Montreal….poor guy man, living in Winnipeg is not for everybody and I know this because I’ve lived in Manitoba for a few years. Columbus is not a horrible place but maybe not a place for a European. Montreal and its European flavour should make him feel right at home! And I know that our amazing fans will love and applaud him.

Montreal is his mulligan, let’s hope he embraces it and becomes the player he was.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad