Patrick Laine is one of the worst forwards in the NHL right now

Status
Not open for further replies.

TopCheese

Mar 16, 2016
canada
Not this one, no. People always want to point out the 25 goals 18 of which were in one month, 11 of those on the pp, 5 in one game. Outside of scoring those goals, there are very few positives. He's been very, very bad. I would be completely onboard with a bridge deal somewhere in the 4-5 range.
Agree he has been bad lately but anything less than 8 million is unrealistic. I would give shorter term to see what he turns out to be in a few years. Maybe 8.5 x 4 could be realistic?

Reactions: Cypruss

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Agree he has been bad lately but anything less than 8 million is unrealistic. I would give shorter term to see what he turns out to be in a few years. Maybe 8.5 x 4 could be realistic?
At $8.5m AAV he'll have a lot of pissed off team mates who contribute a lot more to Jets wins for a lot less $$. Time to stop treating this prima donna like royalty. He should consider himself fortunate to get an offer of $6.5m.

Reactions: Channelcat

Nolan Giesbrecht

Jun 14, 2016
Strong board play? I guess that's one way of spinning it.
The truth is he was handling the puck like it was a hot potato, and he lost control of it, it bounced off the boards, and he was fortunate to have it bounce into the path of Perreualt who fortunately knew what to do with it.. Strong board play.. LOL. That play was the only time he got within 5 ft of the boards. Most of the game he spent floating around waiting for his team mates to do all the work and pass him the puck so he could fire it on net... as usual.

I feel like you had your take ready to go regardless of the play.

Laine didn't make an amazing play but neither did he mishandle the puck. He redirected a bouncing puck deeper into the zone to Perrault.

TopCheese

Mar 16, 2016
canada
At $8.5m AAV he'll have a lot of pissed off team mates who contribute a lot more to Jets wins for a lot less $$. Time to stop treating this prima donna like royalty. He should consider himself fortunate to get an offer of $6.5m.
Oh I totally agree he should not be paid 8.5 but with all his hype, the next ovi label, 4th youngest to 100 goals he is bound to be overpaid

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
I feel like you had your take ready to go regardless of the play.

Laine didn't make an amazing play but neither did he mishandle the puck. He redirected a bouncing puck deeper into the zone to Perrault.
The truth is that Laine was pretty well useless out there, which really isn't news... but when someone states that a goal was scored because of his strong board play I just had to say something. He got lucky. Thats it. There was no strong board play by Laine. As usual he was virtually invisible out there. Rarely do you ever get to see as lazy a player on the ice as Laine still playing in the NHL.

Reactions: Channelcat

Peggy

Aug 6, 2016
Strong board play? I guess that's one way of spinning it.
The truth is he was handling the puck like it was a hot potato, and he lost control of it, it bounced off the boards, and he was fortunate to have it bounce into the path of Perreualt who fortunately knew what to do with it.. Strong board play.. LOL. That play was the only time he got within 5 ft of the boards. Most of the game he spent floating around waiting for his team mates to do all the work and pass him the puck so he could fire it on net... as usual.

Yeah I would agree. He lost the puck

Frustrating to see him play like that. Hes a big body and he gets pushed off the puck

That's not just a hockey thing, he needs to learn how to use his size
Needs to stop playing on the boards like hes 160 pounds

Peggy

Aug 6, 2016

Why would you sign a deal that eats up most of his rfa years for that much?
That's an awful contract

He's not getting over 8 million for 4 years with a slump like this
Hes an rfa. He doesnt have much leverage

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Something has to be going on with him. You don't just forget how to do virtually everything that made you successful overnight. There is something either going on with him physically or mentally that we don't know.

Reactions: tntkid

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Something has to be going on with him. You don't just forget how to do virtually everything that made you successful overnight. There is something either going on with him physically or mentally that we don't know.

He looks defeated on the ice. Body language was especially poor last night (commentators pointed it out). He's not a one trick pony but is playing like one.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
He looks defeated on the ice. Body language was especially poor last night (commentators pointed it out). He's not a one trick pony but is playing like one.

Even his one trick isn't working. His shot is really off, he's either rushing it or taking to much time not getting it off right or just passing up prime shooting opportunities. I just don't understand how you have a November for the ages and then just forget how to do anything useful for 2 months going on 3 now.

Reactions: tntkid

Cypruss

Stand up for your beliefs.
Oct 18, 2018
LaSalle, Manitoba
For how arrogant of a kid he is, I'm surprised he's playing this poorly.

He talked a big game, now it's time to back it up.

But he is not arrogant at all. He is confident but having a poor month. He is 20, and still learning North America and the league and defensive structures. Not sure why you think he is arrogant at all - there is nothing to back up your narrative.

Reactions: Peggy

Peggy

Aug 6, 2016
But he is not arrogant at all. He is confident but having a poor month. He is 20, and still learning North America and the league and defensive structures. Not sure why you think he is arrogant at all - there is nothing to back up your narrative.

Because hes confident and likes to crack jokes, people like to mix that up with arrogance
they think what he's saying is 100 percent to be taken seriously all the way through

Peggy

Aug 6, 2016
Nylander 7m? Ya, Laine deserves less than Nylander.....

Huh? No he doesnt
Nylander hasn't had one season better than laine

Laine for sure has more trade value than nylander even with laine'a slump

Cypruss

Oct 18, 2018
LaSalle, Manitoba
2016 NHL Drafted Players - Career Goals

Laine - 105
Matthews - 97
Tkachuk - 61
DeBrincat - 54
Dubois - 39
Keller - 34

yes, Laine at 20 years old is absolute trash because he hasn't scored for the past few months and is being challenged to improve his board and defensive play. He still has triple the goals as the 5th leading scorer from that Draft.

Ovechkin was a 1 trick pony when he was new in the league as well - didn't hit 100 goals until he was 22. Amazing that a player can continue to develop and improve after they turn 20 year old........

Laine and Matthews will have slumps and bad games. The Leafs and Jets are in a great position to watch these 2 very young men continue to grow and develop and dominate the game for the next 10-15 years.

Cypruss

Oct 18, 2018
LaSalle, Manitoba
Huh? No he doesnt
Nylander hasn't had one season better than laine

Laine for sure has more trade value than nylander even with laine'a slump

I know....was responding to the comment that Laine wasn't worth more than 6m. It was an absurd statement. If we can get him signed for around Wheelers salary of $8.5 million, most Jets fans will be celebrating at Portage and Main :)

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica

Come on man. This is his third year. How much more time does he need?

Beukeboom

Apr 1, 2007
Ovechkin was a 1 trick pony when he was new in the league as well - didn't hit 100 goals until he was 22. Amazing that a player can continue to develop and improve after they turn 20 year old........

Something tells me you did not see any NHL games back then? Jeez...

Edit: To elaborate. He was an insane powerhouse of a player. He'd burst from end to end using speed and stick handling skills. And he ran guys over. I remember seeing his very first NHL game and he crushed a guy against the boards, breaking the glass in the process. That was his first shift I think.

Laine is nothing like Ovechkin and never will be.

Last edited:

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
2016 NHL Drafted Players - Career Goals

Laine - 105
Matthews - 97
Tkachuk - 61
DeBrincat - 54
Dubois - 39
Keller - 34

yes, Laine at 20 years old is absolute trash because he hasn't scored for the past few months and is being challenged to improve his board and defensive play. He still has triple the goals as the 5th leading scorer from that Draft.

Laine and Matthews will have slumps and bad games. The Leafs and Jets are in a great position to watch these 2 very young men continue to grow and develop and dominate the game for the next 10-15 years.
As a Jets fan I'm fully in Laine's corner, but you are wrong about Ovi. He was a beast at the same age. Ovi turned 20 just as his rookie season started and he went 52-54-106 and ran over everyone doing it.

Reactions: SwaggySpungo

Star Ocean

Dec 30, 2018
Laine mocked horvat over fortnite remarks. He is arrogant.

Cypruss

Oct 18, 2018
LaSalle, Manitoba
As a Jets fan I'm fully in Laine's corner, but you are wrong about Ovi. He was a beast at the same age. Ovi turned 20 just as his rookie season started and he went 52-54-106 and ran over everyone doing it.

Yes, he hit....I agree. Defensive responsibility was non-existent in his first what, 5 years? He could score and hit...no doubt about that. He was not the complete player that we expect Laine to be already. Ovechkin's first season was as a 20 year old. Same age as Laine now....and Laine already has 100+ NHL goals.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad