Patrick Laine injured in pre-season game after knee on knee

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

johnnybbadd

Mar 29, 2011
Unfortunately Laine is either made of glass or doesn’t do enough to protect himself. I didn’t really see much there in terms of being dirty. I hate saying this because I really like him as a player and still believe that if healthy he can be a top 5-10 scorer in this league.

BallardEra

Leafs&Caps Since 1982™
Dec 26, 2017
East York, Ontario
Hope that's a case of looks worse than it is and he's not out long. I like the guy, I honestly have him pegged to score 40 if he stays healthy(hope this doesn't ruin that chance).

But I gotta come to the defense of Pare here. He did nothing but stand his position. Laine's stance was wider than his, what do you want him to do, slide out of the way while he's defending the blue line? It's clearly wasn't intentional.
He’s only ever scored 40 once in his career and that was ages ago.

I think Habs fans would have been happy with 30 this season.

He will be out for awhile.

Qwijibo

Dec 1, 2014
Pare was never going to make the Leafs roster and if turtling like that gets Xhekaj a long suspension into the regular season (which it should) then that's more than he ever would have contributed as a player.
In game punishment was sufficient. There won't be a suspension

BullyHockey

Dec 26, 2023

I think Habs fans would have been happy with 30 this season.

He will be out for awhile.
He's got the talent to do it, with his mental recover, refound health and a new team that would be more forgiving of his mistakes for his talent, I just felt like he would rebound in a big way. Theres no word on how long he'll be out, plenty of times where injuries looked worse than they were. It looked pretty bad still, but hope he's ok.

Marioesque

Oct 7, 2021

The only reason he hasn't scored 50+ every season has been injuries. He scored the 44 goals with 16 minutes of ice time with a diminishing Brian Little as his center when he was healthy at 19.

TopC0rner

Feb 21, 2018
I've gone back and forth on whether I think this was dirty or not, and I still haven't really settled on a conclusion. On one hand, Pare isn't moving, but on the other, he clearly changes the angle of his knee/leg just before impact. At the very best, it's a reckless and idiotic play by a guy who is objectively a scrub. Things like this always make me sad, because nobody goes to these games to see a guy like Pare. They go for the skill players like Laine. It's obviously not a perfect comparison, but it sort of reminds me of when Steckel took out Crosby in that sense. I hope Laine makes a quick recovery and is back soon.
Pare only reacts to Laine. He wasn't trying to give him the knee. I don't think it was dirty, just unfortunate due to Laine's wide stance entering the zone (his feet were what, 4 feet apart?).

PeE eL DuBoiS

Send ze caviar to mah chambers, peasant
Mar 31, 2022
Pare lunges with his knee, anyone can’t see that needs glasses. Xhekaj gives him a chance to do the right thing and when he doesn’t rag dolls him a bit, if he wanted to really hurt him he would dropped the gloves and pummeled him like the scrub deserved
Sleep it off.

BallardEra

Leafs&Caps Since 1982™
Dec 26, 2017
East York, Ontario
The only reason he hasn't scored 50+ every season has been injuries. He scored the 44 goals with 16 minutes of ice time with a diminishing Brian Little as his center when he was healthy at 19.
Even so he’s never paced for 40 goals during those injured seasons. I think at this point 40 goals is too ambitious for him.

30-35 is more realistic over a healthy season.

JIMVINNY

Nov 9, 2007
Xhekaj punched Pare in the back of the head multiple times when he was down, not sure that's quite the same as the Foligno/Perry fight
Right, because Perry answered the bell, even though he knew he bore no responsibility. It's called honor, something clearly not found in the visitor's dressing room tonight.

Canad13ns

Nov 6, 2018
And yet there was no penalty. Shocking.

We've seen that called time and time again.

Stationary. Leg extension. Pushing left knee outwards.

Textbook kneeing call.

Edit: Just to add, it was 100% NOT intentional. It was reactionary. Having said that, it doesn't negate anything I said above, or the fact that it should have been a 5.
How would you know it was not intentional? Looked pretty intentional to me. But I don't know either since I'm not in his head. But when do you that to someone else's knee you should get penalized.

Reactions: All the Answers

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
I don't really care if he kept his gloves on. It still is on the back of the head multiple times.

I didn't see others inviting him to fight. If you got proof of that, go right ahead.
In the real world that’s prison time for assault. The league needs to throw the book at guys who do this. It’s assault. 10 game suspension minimum. How would the nfl or nba deal with sn attack like this? The league looks like a joke if they do nothing.

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
Pare lunges with his knee, anyone can’t see that needs glasses. Xhekaj gives him a chance to do the right thing and when he doesn’t rag dolls him a bit, if he wanted to really hurt him he would dropped the gloves and pummeled him like the scrub deserved
Yeah, bleu, blanc et rouge coloured glasses. Though you are right about Xhekaj. Solid guy.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad