Patrick Laine injured in pre-season game after knee on knee

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Advanced stats

May 26, 2010
Laines leg seemed to be as extended out to the side as Pare's. Honestly both players are to blame for a senseless play

BM14

Dec 7, 2012
GTA
Perhaps a rookie move, but better than kneeing a guy intentionally or not and then going right to turtle when someone came knocking for you to answer for it. Bigger than you, stronger than you, you stand your ground and fight. Turtling is a coward's act. Told me everything I need to know about Pare and Wifi.
…intentional? Tell me you’ve never played hockey without telling me you’ve never played hockey.
Brutal take, kiddo.

Jmo89

Mar 21, 2010
I dont' even think the play was dirty. Pilon player literally being a pilon on the ice.

Doesn't look dirty but it's stupid. It's the same stupid thing players do when they stick out the chicken wing elbow because they miss a check and end up giving a headshot instead.

As a Leafs fan I don't even know wtf Pare is.

Hopefully it's a bruise and not a ligament. Best wishes to Laine.

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
Doesn't look dirty but it's stupid. It's the same stupid thing players do when they stick out the chicken wing elbow because they miss a check and end up giving a headshot instead.

yeah its a player out of his element, all it is.

IWantSakicAsMyGM

Oct 13, 2011
Colorado
100% correct. Look, we can all say from the sidelines that what Bertuzzi did was awful and could have had horrendous consequences. He deserves to be suspended for it. But if you're an AHL plug throwing cheap shots at NHL stars (Naslund), and then refuse to fight as other teams want retribution, you deserve what is coming. If you don't have respect for the game, don't step on the ice.

The hit was already dirty as shit, but Moore trying to weasel out of the fight and forcing Bertuzzi to do this makes me hate Moore even more. Man up and face the consequences of your action, if you can't do that, get the hell of the ice.

Just to set the record straight for people who apparently don't know any better, Steve Moore didn't refuse to answer the bell for his hit on Naslund and had already dropped the gloves with Matt Cooke in the first period of that infamous game. But Bertuzzi refused to honor the code and let that be the end of it, and in the third period, tried to get the much smaller Moore to drop the gloves a second time.

PeE eL DuBoiS

Send ze caviar to mah chambers, peasant
Mar 31, 2022
Lots of emotional, brain-dead responses.

Whether it's a preseason game or not, or a scrub or star, it still sucks for someone to get injured. It especially sucks for somebody trying to make a fresh start on a new team, and after past injury struggles.

That being said, it did not seem like an intentional clipping of the knee. Pare is responsible for his own body, sure, and his stance was wide, but I think it was just an unfortunate outcome. Laine really just cruised into a spot where there was inadequate space and with no sense of self preservation.

People ragging "leafs this, scrubs that" need to stop and go to bed before they crack beer number 8.

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
Just to set the record straight for people who apparently don't know any better, Steve Moore didn't refuse to answer the bell for his hit on Naslund and had already dropped the gloves with Matt Cooke in the first period of that infamous game. But Bertuzzi refused to honor the code and let that be the end of it, and in the third period, tried to get the much smaller Moore to drop the gloves a second time.
Moore had also been running around pulling those chicken shit hits for months

SmoggyTwinkles

Go Leafs Go
Aug 5, 2010
Oshawa
www.bing.com

Same. But, replay shows Laine's knee bend in a way a knee should not bend. I hope he's ok though.

Incognito

Oct 18, 2008
Toronto, Ontario
I've gone back and forth on whether I think this was dirty or not, and I still haven't really settled on a conclusion. On one hand, Pare isn't moving, but on the other, he clearly changes the angle of his knee/leg just before impact. At the very best, it's a reckless and idiotic play by a guy who is objectively a scrub. Things like this always make me sad, because nobody goes to these games to see a guy like Pare. They go for the skill players like Laine. It's obviously not a perfect comparison, but it sort of reminds me of when Steckel took out Crosby in that sense. I hope Laine makes a quick recovery and is back soon.

Reactions: HuGo Sham

JIMVINNY

Nov 9, 2007
Any Leafs fan mad at Xhekaj should ask themselves how they felt about Corry Perry having to answer the bell after Tavares bounced his face off Perry's knee. If you thought Perry should have to fight when he was completely innocent, then you better admit that Pare owes the same debt after sticking his knee out on Laine. Xhekaj took it easy on him, because he realized what a cowardly piece of trash he was dealing with.

Yatzhee

Aug 5, 2010
Unfortunate hit, not intentionally done at all. Para response however, intent to injured, should be season suspension.

Reactions: Leafs87

Leafs87

Mr. Steal Your Job
Aug 10, 2010
Toronto
Any Leafs fan mad at Xhekaj should ask themselves how they felt about Corry Perry having to answer the bell after Tavares bounced his face off Perry's knee. If you thought Perry should have to fight when he was completely innocent, then you better admit that Pare owes the same debt after sticking his knee out on Laine. Xhekaj took it easy on him, because he realized what a cowardly piece of trash he was dealing with.

This was incidental. I am not sure if Pare would have faught later on in the game or not, he is actually an occasional fighter. It was that Xhefsh started wailing on a defenceless opponent on the ground. That’s more exactly “code” either. Honestly I am all for fighting, but swinging at an unwilling and defenceless fighter doesn’t show you’re tough or anything, that’s just stupid. Leafs faught many times later this game, and I’m not sure that was even favourable for MTL for this game to turn into this.

leafsfan5

Jun 14, 2014
Xhekaj punched Pare in the back of the head multiple times when he was down, not sure that's quite the same as the Foligno/Perry fight

BullyHockey

Dec 26, 2023
Hope that's a case of looks worse than it is and he's not out long. I like the guy, I honestly have him pegged to score 40 if he stays healthy(hope this doesn't ruin that chance).

But I gotta come to the defense of Pare here. He did nothing but stand his position. Laine's stance was wider than his, what do you want him to do, slide out of the way while he's defending the blue line? It's clearly wasn't intentional.

AvroArrow

Mitch "The God" Marner
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
Poor Pat just cannot catch a break. Awful hit and doubly awful to see a player get hurt in a preseason scrimmage.

Xhekaj beat the stuffing out of him

Unfortunate hit, I don't think he meant to take Laine's knee out. Looks pretty f***ing bad, hopefully it's not as bad as it looked.

As for Arber, typical coward move. Probably gets suspended multiple games for that, attacking someone from behind and repeatedly punching them in the back of the head is a bitch move.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad