Patrick Kane vs Auston Matthews

Who will go down as the better American born player?

• Total voters

Fledgemyhedge

Apr 24, 2014
bob
I think people here are putting way too much emphasis on the playoffs here and sure Kane has a definite edge but let's not pretend that the current Leafs the last 8 seasons would have had any more success with Kane to make a difference.

AM is the much much better goalscorer and actually brings something to the table defensively and we will see how he ages but he is only a little over 100 goals behind Kane right now and obviously will trail him in points for some time.

But I'm still betting that AM has a decent chance of being as good as Kane all time if one uses the usual parameters for judging players, the over emphasis on playoffs here is beyond extreme in mnay people's take's and I doubt they do that with every player.

Also the poll results are basically from after the 21 season and AM has the 60 and 69 goal season, A Hart and a Selke top 3 finish (even if one thinks that's generous to AM he is still miles better than Kane in terms of a 2 way game) and he has also been a bit better in the playoffs in the last 3 years as well.
I think peak Kane on the leafs does make a difference. Leafs are usually in super tight series. Subtracting a mediocre playoff player with one of the best makes a difference in that scenario.

If by success you mean cup then well yeah they need a lot more.

Peltz

Oct 4, 2019
As of their 26 year old seasons:

Patrick Kane had:

1 Cup-winning OT goal
1 Conference Final winning Double-OT goal
1 Second round winning OT goal
1 First round series-tying OT goal
2 playoff hat tricks (both in Conference finals winning games)

Auston Matthews had:

1 Qualifying round series-tying OT goal (2020 play-ins) (TOR lost the series)
0 playoff hat tricks
Agreed that it's not just about who scores more in their career. It's also about who scores the biggest goals. And in that category, one player has many big-time goals, and the other doesn't have a single one.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Matthews could become the all-time goal scorer. That would be a huge edge. But if he doesn’t win a cup, it hurts him.

Kane is one of the most clutch players ever. As of right now, I’d say Kane but this could change. Matthews is young and has a lot of time.

Reactions: wetcoast

dirtydanglez

Oct 30, 2022
the way things are going matthews will have to break gretzky/ovie's goal record to even have a chance to overtake kane.

yeaher

May 3, 2019
Easily? Matthews has a better ppg up to this point in their careers, is better defensively, and plays a premium position. I won’t even discuss their goal scoring.

It’s fine if you think Kane will have a better career, but don’t act like it’s going to be “easy”.
guy won 3 cups; Matthews one series... lol

Despote

Mar 21, 2023
Matthews is a far more impactful player in the regular season, tbh a borderline generational talent. But Leafs would definitely have had more playoff success with Kane. 0 goals in 6 game sevens, oof.

statswatcher

Jul 27, 2022
there are very few goals i've seen in hockey as beautiful as patrick kane roofing a backhander.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
Kane has come up with so many clutch goals in his time, Matthews not so much.

Matthews is a far more impactful player in the regular season, tbh a borderline generational talent. But Leafs would definitely have had more playoff success with Kane. 0 goals in 6 game sevens, oof.

Kane is better in both.

Rob Brown

Way She Goes
Dec 17, 2009
When Matthews said he was bummed out when he wasnt able to get 70 goals right before the playoffs that told you a lot about him lol. Like you havent done shit in the playoffs and you care about some useless milestone in the regular season.
He didn't say he was bummed, this is what he said...

"You know, I wanted it for sure, but it just wasn't meant to be. As we look forward, we turn the page and the most important thing is the team and the team success..."

Yeah, he is allowed to be disappointed (I am sure any player would be), but didn't say he was bummed or upset and quite literally said the most important thing is the team and not him. And then he's nominated for the Selke and he said it wasn't fulfilling and that isn't his goal (implying individual awards), which again disproves what you said.

What's the point of making shit up? To get likes?

Gordon Lightfoot

Hey Dotcom. Nice to meet you.
Sponsor
Feb 3, 2009
He didn't say he was bummed, this is what he said...

"You know, I wanted it for sure, but it just wasn't meant to be. As we look forward, we turn the page and the most important thing is the team and the team success..."

Yeah, he is allowed to be disappointed (I am sure any player would be), but didn't say he was bummed or upset and quite literally said the most important thing is the team and not him. And then he's nominated for the Selke and he said it wasn't fulfilling and that isn't his goal (implying individual awards), which again disproves what you said.

What's the point of making shit up? To get likes?
It's easier to paint him as selfish than as a person who would obviously like to hit a goal that anybody would like to hit.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad