Rumor: Patrick Kane to NYR

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

EdJovanovski

#RempeForCalder
Apr 26, 2016
The Rempire State
Last edited:

EdJovanovski

#RempeForCalder
Apr 26, 2016
The Rempire State
So, what has changed in a year?

Rangers didn't seem to show any desire to retain him
They were probably worried about his surgery recovery & were still holding out hope for Kakko. Then Kane went on to outscore Zibanejad at 5v5 in 32 less GP.

From what other reports said recently, Kane felt he let ranger fans down and felt he had unfinished business here

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
An effort to get Panarin to do something in playoffs? He was a very timid player in PO’s this year for NYR.

Reactions: JKG33

Leviathan

Nov 25, 2008
My guess is this means Kane is willing to take less to go back. As good as he can be, I'm not sure he's what the Rangers need. But sure, I think they would take him in a heartbeat if they got him well below market value.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
And the opposite of maybe IS? ______________

Let me consult my carefully constructed future prediction device...

K1EO5R.gif

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005
This would be the most Rangers thing ever, and prove once and for all, no manager can ever escape the temptations of Broadway.

Kane is great. He’s fun to watch, and he can still be an exciting player (in moments) at 35.

He’s a “cherry on the top” type signing though, and that’s NOT what the Rangers would be signing him to be. They’re targeting him to be the player to take them over the top!! AGAIN??

His perfect destination is Dallas or Vegas, where he’s not being depended on to put anyone over the top, but just be another player, playing his role.

Detroit is in nowhere near the position the Rangers are, and they see that Kane isn’t “that” player anymore, and are only willing to give him secondary type money, and a secondary role. Proven by the stretch Larkin was injured. Kane went MIA. It was Lucas Raymond who put the team on his back. Same down the stretch. Kane scored some big goals but it was Raymond driving play and pace. Exactly why Detroit isn’t willing to give Kane what he seems to want.

If this is true and the Rangers are actually thinking Kane is their answer to win in the playoffs, and to put them “over the top”, the hockey Gods will strike again. They will make the Rangers look like the Rangers we knew for 25 years again…

It’s silly week in the NHL, so you have to be careful what you read and hear, and believe, but this was making the rounds yesterday. That the Rangers are gonna play stupid with Kane, handing him what Detroit isn’t even willing to hand him. The keys to the ship.

For the sake of their fans, hopefully that’s not what’s ready to go down, but if if does, Drury will deserve his walking papers after next season, when it crashes and burns.

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
I fail to see how a player that has never driven 5v5 possession or xGF%, even at his absolute peak, is going to help NYR with their biggest obvious issue, but ok, go for it.

AirGut

Jul 1, 2019
Larry Brooks Bus Stop
www.capfriendly.com
I fail to see how a player that has never driven 5v5 possession or xGF%, even at his absolute peak, is going to help NYR with their biggest obvious issue, but ok, go for it.
3 rings and the passionate heart of a deity, where else can you find a player like that on the market right now? The bigger issue is finding a proper LD but the Rangers still have a serious need for a true veteran presence on the team, Kreider and Zibanejad haven't had a proper linemate to work with since Buchnevich either as it's just been cycling through Kakko/Vesey/Roslovic, it's not working. Stamkos & Kane are the two options that's a no-brainer for NYR to fill the 1RW hole but I don't see Stammer leaving Tampa just yet.

I think it's easy for people to forget that Kane forced his way to a Gallant Rangers team that was a sinking ship in early 2023, a lot has changed since the 23' deadline. Laviolette and the new coaching staff will better know how to utilize Kane imo and it will be a much better situation for Patrick to start fresh from training camp in NY.

• Haha
Reactions: norrisnick

Clint Eastwood

Eff the Habs
Nov 11, 2018
Any chance Toews goes with him as 4C? I know there he took the year off but said he wasn't retiring. I haven't been keeping up with him since though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad