Former Bruins Patrice Bergeron

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home

The Captain: Patrice Bergeron​

Before the 2022-23 NHL season began, Patrice Bergeron decided he wasn’t ready to retire, and offered a simple explanation for why he was excited to don his Bruins jersey for a 19th consecutive year.

“It’s an organization that means the world to me,” he said. “Boston is my home.”

When the sublime center decided at the conclusion of that campaign that it was finally time to hang up his skates, the Quebec native spoke again of the connection to his adopted city.

“I left everything out there and I’m humbled and honored it was representing this incredible city and for the Boston Bruins fans,” he said.

The hockey world feels a bit emptier without Bergeron in it, but his impact and imprint are indelible. And for all the accolades he earned on the ice — a 2011 Stanley Cup championship, a record six Selke trophies as the NHL forward with the best defensive skills, two Olympic gold medals for Canada, to name a few — his influence off it has been even greater.

Begin with the creation early in his career of “Patrice’s Pals,” a program that hosted children from charitable groups around Boston (including the Cam Neely Foundation, Boston Children’s Hospital, Make-A-Wish Foundation, and many more) in a suite for every Bruins home game at TD Garden. More than 10,000 kids got the chance to enjoy games as his guests.

From 2015 to 2018, Bergeron hosted the Cuts for a Cause charitable event with 98.5 The Sports Hub. He evolved that into the Pucks and Paddles Ping-Pong tournament in 2018. Combined, the events have raised almost half a million dollars for charity. Starting in 2010, he led the team’s annual holiday toy shopping events, delivering toys to young patients at Boston hospitals, many of whom he continued to visit. In 2020, in the wake of George Floyd’s murder, Bergeron donated $25,000 each to the Boston chapter of the NAACP and the Centre Multiethnique de Quebec.

“The amazing people of New England welcomed a young French Canadian who didn’t speak great English and you treated me like one of your own,” he said. “I can’t imagine representing a better community or more passionate fan base than the Boston Bruins.”

A recipient of the NHL Foundation Award, King Clancy Memorial Trophy, and the Bruins’ John P. Bucyk Award for his charitable and community work, Bergeron made Boston a better place, both on and off the ice. – Tara Sullivan

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014

The Google translation is a little rough....lol

He takes tennis lessons with Tuukka every week.

He invited former teammates to play hockey every Friday because he misses them. Still trying to talk Chara into coming.

Gives Julien, Recchi, and Hughes the most credit for help with his career. (Side note, feels like Claude has just disappeared. Hope he comes around when they hit the 2011 era of the Centennial year celebration.)

Sounds like he's open to some sort of role with the Bruins even as early as next year..... maybe.... 👀

Reactions: pearljamvs5

Dicky113

Oct 30, 2007
who said he was?
Spittin chicklets pod claim he is on ice training and is saying it’s to stay in shape for alumni games (which they aren’t buying considering he’s 20 years younger than the next youngest guy lol).

I figured he would. Rare for these guys to go out on top!

Reactions: ON3M4N

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy Quaider and Looch
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
Spittin chicklets pod claim he is on ice training and is saying it’s to stay in shape for alumni games (which they aren’t buying considering he’s 20 years younger than the next youngest guy lol).

I figured he would. Rare for these guys to go out on top!
Chara, Quaider, Tuukka and Miller are on that team and none are 20 years older than Bergy.

I love him but doubt he will return. He has 4 young kids and wants to be with them.

Dellstrom

Pastrnasty
May 1, 2011
Boston
I think he just has a hard time stepping away when this is still very much his team. He wants to stay involved and help his friends, and the team wants and likes him there.

His retirement seemed very final. Not open ended like Krejci or Rask’s pseudo-retirements were. He has nothing left to prove and so much to lose with a potential injury. I sincerely hope he’ll be back with the team in whatever capacity he wants when he’s ready, but would also be beyond shocked.

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO
Here it is….. but I’d be beyond shocked if it were to happen. Again this isnt a rumor. Just their speculation.

They also said a couple weeks ago Nylander/Pettersson were going to go to Chicago to play with Bedard....so yeah grain of salt for sure, I'd be floored if he went through the retirement process just to come back.

Reactions: BMC

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad