Patrice Bergeron vs Zdeno Chara

Who was better? Take everything into account

• Total voters

Felidae

Sep 30, 2016
Two of the greatest bruins players of the century. One of the greatest defensive centers of all time vs one of the greatest shutdown defenseman of all time. who was better?

Take everything into account from peak, prime, to their entire careers.

Zdeno Chara

Norris record: 1, 2, 2, 3, 3, 3, 4, 5, 7, 8, 14, 15, 16, 19

Hart record: 8, 12, 13, 14, 19, 25

Patrice Bergeron

Selke record: 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 2, 2, 2, 2, 3, 3, 4, 5

Hart Record: 5, 15, 17, 17, 18

I think people that value peak play will take Chara here. He probably has a couple seasons better than Bergeron at his peak. But I think there's an argument that from start to finish, Bergeron's career was better in the sense that if you were to count how many seasons they played at a high level, Bergeron would come out on top, curious to see the result.

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

Fire Sweeney

Jun 16, 2009
Bergen
I think people that value peak play will take Chara here. He probably has a couple seasons better than Bergeron at his peak. But I think there's an argument that from start to finish, Bergeron's career was better in the sense that if you were to count how many seasons they played at a high level, Bergeron would come out on top, curious to see the result.
7 all-star teams vs 0.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
I think Bergeron is better as the game moved in a different direction. I think Chara was more valuable, when considering the decade of 2000-2010. I voted Chara.

tfwnogf

Dec 15, 2013
Chara, he was the true leader of the team when they won the cup. Bergeron never won without him, though he came close. But Chara instilled the big bad bruin attitude into that team, by literally being big. Besides, how many 6'10 number one defensemen will ever exist? Bergeron, as good as he is, has peers in peak Toews and Kopitar. So I take Chara 100%.

Felidae

Sep 30, 2016
7 all-star teams vs 0.
Two way forwards almost never get All star recognition unless they also put up gaudy points totals.

Besides, he never really stood a chance against Crosby/Malkin then McDavid later into his career.

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
Bergeron AINEC.

Chara, he was the true leader of the team when they won the cup. Bergeron never won without him, though he came close. But Chara instilled the big bad bruin attitude into that team, by literally being big. Besides, how many 6'10 number one defensemen will ever exist? Bergeron, as good as he is, has peers in peak Toews and Kopitar. So I take Chara 100%.

Chara had peers. They were the other #1D in the NHL that out-performed him. Guys like Lidstrom, Pronger, Keith, Doughty, Hedman, etc.

Bergeron was the undisputed king of his niche (two-way center) for damn near a decade. Chara was essentially obsolete by the time the Blackhawks won their second cup.

Elvs

Jul 3, 2006
Sweden
I like Bergeron a lot more but Chara was ranked a better defenseman in the league than Bergeron was ever ranked among forwards.

Leafs87

Mr. Steal Your Job
Aug 10, 2010
Toronto
Not a huge fan of comparing players of 2 different positions with arguably equal impact to the same team. I’d go Chara though. He recreated their identity and was the Captain during their peak years

RANDOMH3RO

Jan 19, 2007
Chara. He was the best at his position for a moment in time and Bergeron never has been. Don’t know if Bergeron was ever really top 3 in a season.

Reactions: banks

KevinRedkey

12/18/23 and beyond!
Jan 22, 2010
Chara ranks significantly higher on most all-time lists. The only thing surprising here is Bergeon's best finish for the Hart, is higher than Chara's.

Reactions: banks

SillyRabbit

Trix Are For Kids
Jan 3, 2006
lol what are these "Bergeron AINEC" posts?

The answer is Chara.

By a pretty clear margin.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad