Player Discussion Pat Maroon

PatriceBergeronFan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 15, 2011
USA
amazing how 1 guy can change the teams mentality of the whole team. This was needed for so many years

A bit too much credit I would say. Maroon has yet to be involved in a scrum at this point. Has impactful shifts in two game ones and invisible the rest of the time.

Difficult to say whether Florida truly did get bolder after his misconduct or not, as they play like that more times than not.

Brazeau and Maroon are not the same type of player.

Brazeau is far more physical (because he is in position to finish a hit), better skating, and more talented. An upgrade on Maroon if you will. Maroon has not had a shot on goal in 4 games, no more than 3 hits in a game the last 5.

Last edited:

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Get him out of the line-up he's not bringing anything. He isn't deterring the Panthers from jack squat and is a liability out there.

I don't want to sound too harsh but he's a 36 year old player who didn't play for over 2 months with a messed up back injury. Took a couple games to shake off the rust and he was OK in the first few games against Toronto. But he was less and less effective the further they got into that series.

Now they are playing a Florida team who plays at a faster pace than Toronto, and he simply can't keep up.

He should come out of the line-up for Game 5 if Marchand can go. Maroon may have already played his final NHL game last night. I have a hard time believing he'll be in the NHL next season.

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
Hes pretty useless, no one is intimidated by him. FLA doesnt care if you think they are pukes for not fighting him, they are winning.
The pregame stuff just makes me cringe but I’ve been against him since he was traded just like Orlov and Hathaway made me want to puke last year.

I don’t like fake tough guy shit when teams like Florida do it and I don’t like it either when we do it.

Lauko has been good and probably chips in a goal here or there playing the entire playoffs thanks fat pat.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Hes pretty useless, no one is intimidated by him. FLA doesnt care if you think they are pukes for not fighting him, they are winning.

Toughness or fisticuffs isn't a deterrent in today's NHL. Pat Maroon at 6'3 235 lbs isn't about to go over to 6'1 buck 195 Sam Bennett and cave his face in and Florida doesn't dress it's own enforcer-type to fight Maroon so Florida's enforcer won't straighten out Bennett or any Panther stepping out of line. Bennett isn't held accountable by his own teammates for his head-hunting, so no Bruin is going to stop him from playing the way he plays.

If toughness/fisticuffs was actually a deterrent in the modern NHL, Brad Marchand would of gotten straightened out years ago.

Reactions: CDJ

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Thank god they added him and his grit. It’s a true difference maker and surely has stopped the other team from cheapshotting our star players. Besides, I’ve heard for years all they needed was more sand paper in the lineup. Well, now we have it.,Makes a world of difference, no? They absolutely wouldn’t have benefited from adding more you know, top 6 talent, because it was grit that was missing…

Last edited:
Reactions: JoeIsAStud

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Toughness or fisticuffs isn't a deterrent in today's NHL. Pat Maroon at 6'3 235 lbs isn't about to go over to 6'1 buck 195 Sam Bennett and cave his face in and Florida doesn't dress it's own enforcer-type to fight Maroon so Florida's enforcer won't straighten out Bennett or any Panther stepping out of line. Bennett isn't held accountable by his own teammates for his head-hunting, so no Bruin is going to stop him from playing the way he plays.

If toughness/fisticuffs was actually a deterrent in the modern NHL, Brad Marchand would have gotten straightened out years ago.
Lucic was on the ice when Savard got his brain smashed in, it never has been a deterrent. It’s just nice to have somebody that can smash back sometimes- but every time a tough guy comes here it seems they don’t want to take penalties to put the team down. Seems like it comes from the coach or the front office (probably the coach)

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Lucic was on the ice when Savard got his brain smashed in, it never has been a deterrent. It’s just nice to have somebody that can smash back sometimes- but every time a tough guy comes here it seems they don’t want to take penalties to put the team down. Seems like it comes from the coach or the front office (probably the coach)

Enforcing/fisticuffs only work as a deterrent when their are willing combatants on both sides.

Otherwise it's a waste of a roster spot if that's all that player brings to the table. Maroon admitted it as much today.

All that being said, expecting Maroon with his back issues and age to come in and bring anything else wasn't realistic.

I don't know what message they are sending to guys when they get here. Trading for say a Garnet Hathaway only to get him here and tell him to tone it down seems foolish.

Morris Wanchuk

Feb 10, 2006
War Memorial Arena
NHL has long shown with the rule book that it would rather have dangerous hits than fights. Max penalty on a dirty hit is 5min. Max penalty for fighting an unwilling combatant is 5 + 2 + 2 with a visor (if they still call it). So 7 or 9 min power play.

Patdud

Mar 23, 2022
New Hampshire
Thank god they added him and his grit. It’s a true difference maker and surely has stopped the other team from cheapshotting our star players. Besides, I’ve heard for years all they needed was more sand paper in the lineup. Well, now we have it.,Makes a world of difference, no? They absolutely wouldn’t have benefited from adding more you know, top 6 talent, because it was grit that was missing…
Unless that sandpaper is going to go and punch Tkachuk in the back of the head in a scrum its not really serving the same purpose

Reactions: LSCII

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
Brown over Maroon is an upgrade, which isn't saying much but the Bruins need to put out their best lineup and Maroon is cooked once actual hockey starts to be played.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad