Pre-Game Talk: Party like it’s 1997 - Edmonton vs Dallas

Who wins?

• Total voters

Arpeggio

Jul 20, 2006
Edmonton
This is the series this team has to win if they're ever going to win a Cup. You're almost never going to be the favourite in every series throughout a playoff, eventually you have to beat a team that the world thinks is better than you. Pittsburgh had to beat Detroit after losing to them the previous year. Oilers have failed to beat Colorado and Vegas, and probably win the cup in one of those years if they had found a way to get through those series.

Even thinking back to the 06 run, Oilers had to beat two teams that they were heavy underdogs against, and it looked like they were down and out against San Jose.

I think the Oilers will be playing loose after getting through Vancouver, they have a ton of experience and just went through a lot in that Vancouver series. I believe they'll get through this one.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
This is the series this team has to win if they're ever going to win a Cup. You're almost never going to be the favourite in every series throughout a playoff, eventually you have to beat a team that the world thinks is better than you. Pittsburgh had to beat Detroit after losing to them the previous year. Oilers have failed to beat Colorado and Vegas, and probably win the cup in one of those years if they had found a way to get through those series.

Even thinking back to the 06 run, Oilers had to beat two teams that they were heavy underdogs against, and it looked like they were down and out against San Jose.

I think the Oilers will be playing loose after getting through Vancouver, they have a ton of experience and just went through a lot in that Vancouver series. I believe they'll get through this one.
Despite what the media was preaching we were the underdogs against Vancouver. They were ahead of us in the standings and undefeated against us during the regular season. Our edge against them was playoff experience and no Demko. Dallas probably beats us in current playoff experience and depth but we have the higher end forwards.

Arpeggio

Jul 20, 2006
Edmonton
Despite what the media was preaching we were the underdogs against Vancouver. They were ahead of us in the standings and undefeated against us during the regular season. Our edge against them was playoff experience and no Demko. Dallas probably beats us in current playoff experience and depth but we have the higher end forwards.
Yeah I don't buy that haha. Oilers have been the best team in the league since their awful start, and dominated play for the majority of the series. They were also the heaviest Vegas favourite out of any second round series. I get the sentiment, I just think the vast majority of people believed the Oilers were going to win that series. Dallas will be their toughest test by a long shot.

Reactions: Puljulainen

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
DCup hunting
I am so glad there’s a place like this where we have polls that give you the option to choose the other team and discussions where we might express concern the Oilers might lose a series. It’s the only way genetally challenged people like I could get identified by the true fans such as yourself who have reached a rarified air of truly cheering for the team. This will be my path to salvation I’m sure as a fan, thank you for your service.

I have a few questions, which I’m sure will seem basic to you but please, since I’m early in this journey be patient.

1. If the entire oilers team was sick or injured and replaced by an AHL team do I still predict them to win? Is there acceptable scenarios where that is ok? Just a few examples to help guide me.

2. If I do choose them to win do I need to say it’s going to be a sweep to be the true fan? Seems like that would be the ballsier move.

3. If I choose them to win, and I actually root for the team in a way that meets your approval and my balls don’t grow bigger should I do something else? Maybe calling out posters who don’t have a hive mind would help my advancement?

Again, I can’t thank you enough for your service here, it must be a true burden to deal with the bandwagon unbeliever like me. It’s only though journeys like this can I hope to be better,
Worth nothing though is you predicted the Nucks to win series as well. Maybe the poster is right and its OK to have some faith. Afairc you were one of very few posters here to predict a Nucks win. Just saying. If I'm recalling correctly you even figured Nucks in 6.

Reactions: capazzo

94 Oil Drops

McHy is the new McDrai.
Sep 19, 2019
Alberta
I predict Stars in 5...

Now before one of you calls up a hitman to shoot me in my own living room, calm your tits and hear me out.

I know perfectly well that anything is possible when it comes to the playoffs. It won't shock me if we win the series. However, Dallas has better depth, better goaltending, and a considerably better defense. That team is good. Considerably better than Vancouver who just took us to 7 games!

The odds are against us. Hopefully McDavid has recovered well from his sickness because we are really, REALLY going to need him to play well.

Zubov2156

May 22, 2024
Hi Oilers nation! Dallas TX born and raised and a Stars fan here. I come in peace. I started watching hockey when I was 6 years old and at that time my only exposure was olympic hockey. Yes, I remember witnessing the Miracle on Ice at the young age of 6. We were all going crazy in my parents home.
Hockey quickly became my favorite sport in football land USA. I love the NHL and I am a huge fan of different players on every team.
Fast forward to 1993-94 the Minnesota NS relocate to Dallas and its the inaugural season for the Dallas Stars. I loved those 90's battles with Oilers every spring. Ron Lowe's facial expressions, intensity and mannerisms were priceless! I did not know what the outcome would be or if the Stars would ever win the cup. The league was focused on no salary cap, competition was unbalanced in the dead puck clutch/grab era. Thankfully the D Stars management team was able to put the right ingredients together and the dream came true in 1999!
I don't pretend to have hockey in my DNA but I grow my knowledge and understanding of the game through various sources and by watching the development of players from all the junior leagues in Canada. I am thankful that Canada has been responsible for the growth and the success of hockey in the states. Canada produces the best young players in the NHL.I watch all the WJ tournaments and the memorial cup every year. Its a beautiful game that I am very passionate about.
In conclusion, I wanted to say that the Stars and Oilers will be extremely different than those brutally tough 90's series. The game has evolved and is less neanderthal-ish (thank God). The Oilers team is probably the most dynamic offensive team in the league. Leon is usually in beast mode when April rolls around. No one knows how this series will shake out, but honestly historical stats have little to do with it. It will be decided by the team that is able to impose their will more effectively on the other. The 2 glaring issues I see for the Oilers is defensive play/attention to detail, and goal-tending. The Oilers defense and goal-tending is not horrible but its It has not been very good.. average at best. Oilers are the best PP in the league bar none! Dallas has flaws...power play is stagnant, penalty kill is average, defense is a touch worn out, and our ability to hold a lead can be inconsistent. I hope Dallas remains disciplined and is able to contain the Oilers offensive wizardry by committee.
I have lived with the ups and downs every year with my team.. Lets be honest trying to outscore your problems on goaltending and defense only goes so far in the playoffs. Both team have had their share of heartbreaks over the last 4-5 seasons. Cup or bust is a real expectation and I share your mentality for my team as well!
Defense and goaltending usually win championships and I feel that the Stars have the razor-thin slight edge. But the Oilers pay their players to win too! (IMO)
Lets hope for a clean, tough, competitive, and entertaining series that displays the best players in the world. Who wants it more? Lets get it on! Go Stars!

Last edited:

Satoru Gojo

Jan 15, 2012
Not sure why there has been so much stigma against Deboer in recent years, the guy is an elite coach

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
Not sure why there has been so much stigma against Deboer in recent years, the guy is an elite coach

In online circles there seems to be a "ok boomer" narrative around pretty much anyone that's been around for a while. Agree he's a really good coach.

If you're not an analytics fiend that's under the age of 50 and nobody has heard of you're basically persona non grata to the vocal, whiny online minority.

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
I predict Stars in 5...

Now before one of you calls up a hitman to shoot me in my own living room, calm your tits and hear me out.

I know perfectly well that anything is possible when it comes to the playoffs. It won't shock me if we win the series. However, Dallas has better depth, better goaltending, and a considerably better defense. That team is good. Considerably better than Vancouver who just took us to 7 games!

The odds are against us. Hopefully McDavid has recovered well from his sickness because we are really, REALLY going to need him to play well.
How so?

Reactions: capazzo

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara
I predict Stars in 5...

They absolutely do not have considerably better defense. They have the best defenseman in the series, but to be fair, Bouch has been playing at that elite level.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Hi Oilers nation! Dallas TX born and raised and a Stars fan here. I come in peace. I started watching hockey when I was 6 years old and at that time my only exposure was olympic hockey. Yes, I remember witnessing the Miracle on Ice at the young age of 6. We were all going going crazy in my parents home.
Hockey quickly became my favorite sport in football land USA. I love the NHL and I am a huge fan of different players on every team.
Fast forward to 1993-94 the Minnesota NS relocate to Dallas and its the inaugural season for the Dallas Stars. I loved those 90's battles with Oilers every spring. Ron Lowe's facial expressions, intensity and mannerisms were priceless! I did not know what the outcome would be or if the Stars would ever win the cup. The league was focused on no salary cap, competition was unbalanced in the dead puck clutch/grab error. Thankfully the D Stars management team was able to put the right ingredients together and the dream came true in 1999!
I don't pretend to have hockey in my DNA but I grow my knowledge and understanding of the game through various sources and by watching the development of players from all the junior leagues in Canada. I am thankful that Canada has been responsible for the growth and the success of hockey in the states. Canada produces the best young players in the NHL.I watch all the WJ tournaments and the memorial cup every year. Its a beautiful game that I am very passionate about.
In conclusion, I wanted to say that the Stars and Oilers will be extremely different than those brutally tough 90's series. The game has evolved and is less neanderthal-ish (thank God). The Oilers team is probably the most dynamic offensive team in the league. Leon is usually in beast mode when April rolls around. No one knows how this series will shake out, but honestly historical stats have little to do with it. It will be decided by the team that is able to impose their will more effectively on the other. The 2 glaring issues I see for the Oilers is defensive play/attention to detail, and goal-tending. The Oilers defense and goal-tending is not horrible but its It has not been very good.. average at best. Oilers are the best PP in the league bar none! Dallas has flaws...power play is stagnant, penalty kill is average, defense is a touch worn out, and our ability to hold a lead can be inconsistent. I hope Dallas remains disciplined and is able to contain the Oilers offensive wizardry by committee.
I have lived with the ups and downs every year with my team.. Lets be honest trying to outscore your problems on goaltending and defense only goes so far in the playoffs. Both team have had their share of heartbreaks over the last 4-5 seasons. Cup or bust is a real expectation and I share your mentality for my team as well!
Defense and goaltending usually win championships and I feel that the Stars have the razor-thin slight edge. But the Oilers pay their players to win too! (IMO)
Lets hope for a clean, tough, competitive, and entertaining series that displays the best players in the world. Who wants it more? Lets get it on! Go Stars!

Should be a great series. Dallas appear to the be heavy favourites but dont sleep on the defensive abilities of the Oilers. Great special teams, 2 of the best players on the planet, heavy on experience, well coached and they hopefully are past the point where they beat themselves. Weakness is goaltending, hopefully Skinner holds the fort. Goaltending is where this series might be won or lost.

I wanted to fly in to Dallas to watch Games 1 and 2 but couldn't find a travel partner and Mrs5 didn't want to go on such short notice. Maybe if there's a Game 7.

Winner of this series wins the Cup.

Reactions: Oilhawks

Satoru Gojo

Jan 15, 2012
In online circles there seems to be a "ok boomer" narrative around pretty much anyone that's been around for a while. Agree he's a really good coach.

If you're not an analytics fiend that's under the age of 50 and nobody has heard of you're basically persona non grata to the vocal, whiny online minority.

That's very true actually, you see it a lot on the main boards and Reddit

Somebody on the mains called Woodcroft a retread lol

Fishy McScales

Apr 22, 2006
schmocation
I predict Stars in 5...

Sounds like you've spent too much time reading the Leafs posts in thread on the mains.

Reactions: Davo Ikinzom

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
DCup hunting
Hi Oilers nation! Dallas TX born and raised and a Stars fan here. I come in peace. I started watching hockey when I was 6 years old and at that time my only exposure was olympic hockey. Yes, I remember witnessing the Miracle on Ice at the young age of 6. We were all going going crazy in my parents home.
Fast forward to 1993-94 the Minnesota NS relocate to Dallas and its the inaugural season for the Dallas Stars. I loved those 90's battles with Oilers every spring. Ron Lowe's facial expressions, intensity and mannerisms were priceless! I did not know what the outcome would be or if the Stars would ever win the cup. The league was focused on no salary cap, competition was unbalanced in the dead puck clutch/grab error. Thankfully the D Stars management team was able to put the right ingredients together and the dream came true in 1999!
You're like me. Except I don't post in solid block. But I say things like finally, and in conclusion, and to sum up and I usually just keep adding on and then editing all the finallys. ;")

I just got a bit of a chuckle because you said In conclusion at middle of post with 3-4 identifiable paragraphs after.

My post is finally done. well probably not, I might add on to it. heh

CornKicker

Holland is wrong..except all of the good things
Feb 18, 2005

i agree and if the oilers get through the stars without significant loss of injury they win the cup

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
DCup hunting

Hakanpaa has been "Day to Day" for mths and Henrique Day to day for weeks. As fans I want 2nd opinions on this sort of thing. Seems like the new thing is making opponents think somebody or other is coming back. Maybe this means Hintz won't be back till June...;)

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
I said before the season started that anything less than a WCF appearance would be a failure and I stand by that. Getting swept again though would still leave a huge sting. I wasn't overly high on Dallas until that Colorado series.

We can beat them but we need some more from the bottom six than just sawing off. Dallas will make you pay if we make egregious errors like we have a few times so far this playoffs. Obviously Skinner has to be better too but the way the Oilers defended in games 6 and 7 shows we can do it, we just need to be consistent about it.

Dallas is a great team, but they're not invincible.
Like. and agreed. We need the depth to step up huge. Mcleod and Foegele in particular need to play the best hockey they are capable of.

Reactions: jukon

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad