Olympics: Paris Olympics 2024 - Closing ceremony

GQS

Aug 2, 2005
Already have the post-Olympic blues. :( This one hurts abit more because it was an amazing games and has become one of my favorites outside of the opening ceremony which was kind of a mess. Great performances by many of the athletes, amazing venues where most of them were packed with very loud spectators and everything seemed to be so well run.

I think I'll remember these games most for the crowds and the venues. I don't know how any future Olympic host can top some of the sick venues that Paris had. Eiffel Tower arena where the beach volleyball games were played was insane and the Grand Palais for fencing and other events were my two favorites. And hats off to the French people and others who attended the events who cheer so loudly and gave most events such great energy and atmosphere. The French really do know how to get loud and passionate for their own athletes as well as from other nations.

Oh well. On to the next one in a couple of years.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Damn, they putting swimming in SoFi? That’ll be nuts.

Fighter

Jan 1, 2004
Trieste, Italy
These Olympics started messy, puzzling Opening Ceremony, Seine problems etc... but at the end of the story it's the athletes which make the Olympics and they delivered: emotions, drama, epic feats, funny moments.
And, of course, the venues, sometimes hosted in some of the most iconic sights in the world: unforgettable.

As others, I'm in full post-Olympics blues: can't help, this event is too great and too special to not feel depressed once it ends.
It doesn't help the fact that after skipping going to Tokyo due to COVID restrictions, I could and should have gone to Paris this time, but I moved out of Europe so again chances collapsed. Going to LA seems like a long shot honestly... but don't wanna give up hopes yet.
See you in Milano-Cortina in 18 months... and then LA in 2028!

Reactions: Tasty Biscuits

Tasty Biscuits

with fancy sauce
Aug 8, 2011
Pittsburgh
Already have the post-Olympic blues. :( This one hurts abit more because it was an amazing games and has become one of my favorites outside of the opening ceremony which was kind of a mess. Great performances by many of the athletes, amazing venues where most of them were packed with very loud spectators and everything seemed to be so well run.

I think I'll remember these games most for the crowds and the venues. I don't know how any future Olympic host can top some of the sick venues that Paris had. Eiffel Tower arena where the beach volleyball games were played was insane and the Grand Palais for fencing and other events were my two favorites. And hats off to the French people and others who attended the events who cheer so loudly and gave most events such great energy and atmosphere. The French really do know how to get loud and passionate for their own athletes as well as from other nations.

Oh well. On to the next one in a couple of years.
Echo all of these thoughts pretty much to a T.

Pavel Buchnevich

"Pavel Buchnevich The Fake"
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Jim Fallon is so unfunny.
Professional late night comedy is pretty much over at this point. I like him a little better than Kimmel, but neither are anywhere near what the late night comedians were in prior eras. I was a Leno fan, but I’ll even give Letterman credit for being decent. This current generation aren’t in the same league.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Professional late night comedy is pretty much over at this point. I like him a little better than Kimmel, but neither are anywhere near what the late night comedians were in prior eras. I was a Leno fan, but I’ll even give Letterman credit for being decent. This current generation aren’t in the same league.
Fallon is fine when he’s just being himself, but when he gets into an act, it’s just death.

Reminds me of myself actually, that’s how I know. I can make people laugh until I start trying to.

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
as a relatively wealthy and athletic country we should be better, probably somewhere to where Australia is.

It helps when you only focus on the Summer Olympics.

More than a 1/3 of their total medals historically have been in swimming alone.

Meanwhile, in the last Winter Olympics, Canada outpaced Australia 26-4.

Reactions: blueandgoldguy

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
Still 1988 in Calgary Canada only got two silver and three bronze medals. Australia most recently getting one gold, two silvers, and a bronze in winter is basically the same level of performance. They may not be about to increase it to 26 in two years time and given the approaching summer games in Brisbane the extra investment won't be there anyway, but Canada is not entirely invulnerable even in winter.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Still 1988 in Calgary Canada only got two silver and three bronze medals. Australia most recently getting one gold, two silvers, and a bronze in winter is basically the same level of performance. They may not be about to increase it to 26 in two years time and given the approaching summer games in Brisbane the extra investment won't be there anyway, but Canada is not entirely invulnerable even in winter.

In 1988, 138 medals were handed out to 17 nations, not including Australia.

In 2022, 328 medals were handed out to 29 nations, including Australia.

So not basically the same level of performance.

Reactions: blueandgoldguy

PCSPounder

Stadium Groupie
Apr 12, 2012
The Outskirts of Nutria Nanny
US viewership was up 77% from Tokyo. It helped that the streaming option came front and center for people who actually wanted to watch sports, while leaving the older style NBC Up Close and Personal stuff to the prime time broadcast… updated with a lot of Snoop. And that, to the non-Americans here, really was a nice touch.

Meanwhile, when it came to the LA handoff, one friend was all “what in the American overblown grandiosity is happening.” To which I replied that there was nothing else to expect. Oh well. By the way, I was in LA at age 18 and I’m really weighing whether I want to be there- eh, you do the math.

Reactions: Tasty Biscuits

Ad

Upcoming events

• Albania vs Georgia
    Albania vs Georgia
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $472.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Andorra vs Malta
    Andorra vs Malta
    Wagers: 3