OT: Paris 2024 Summer Olympics: Games of the XXXIII Olympiad

Schwarbomb

Bob Murray Approved Poster
Jul 2, 2011
Arizona
What kills me is that there is little in track more satisfying than nailing a handoff and hitting the next guy the second your speeds match. Do these slobs not want that bliss? Are they simple?

My old second leg and I have been friends for 24 years now and we are both ripping out our skulls watching US relays.
They're 99.9% focused on their individual events. And instead of actually practicing handoffs with each other, they're probably out partying with their shoe sponsors.

• Wow
Reactions: Beef Invictus

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
They're 99.9% focused on their individual events. And instead of actually practicing handoffs with each other, they're probably out partying with their shoe sponsors.

It's definitely a strong tendency towards individualism and being a diva. Nobody wants to practice as a team and nobody wants to make them. And clearly pride is never going to kick in on its own

Flybynite

Feb 25, 2018
It's definitely a strong tendency towards individualism and being a diva. Nobody wants to practice as a team and nobody wants to make them. And clearly pride is never going to kick in on its own
I think it's also just the nature of US track and field. Athletes are competing for individual events and individual prestige because you want those sponsorships and money. I don't think there's a lot of 'advice/helping out' going on. I don't know what it's like right now, but historically it wasn't unusual to see different 100m or 200m runners having different coaches than their 'rivals'.

You might see a coach who had a top 100m, 200m, 400m, etc... but usually not ones who were running against each other in the same events.

I don't think there's much camaraderie among the top national team sprinters.

swami24

Jul 24, 2020
It's a damn shame Leonard couldn't be there. My all-starter team is LeBron/Curry/Leonard/KD/Davis.
All time? No Jordan, Kareem, Wilt, Russell, Malone, Magic?

Women's hoop final was an absolutely thrilling game. So many UCONN alumnae. If you didn't see it, France took the last shot down 3, as the clock expired, and made it, but the shooter's foot was over the line by 6 in.

Schwarbomb

Bob Murray Approved Poster
Jul 2, 2011
Arizona
All time? No Jordan, Kareem, Wilt, Russell, Malone, Magic?

Women's hoop final was an absolutely thrilling game. So many UCONN alumnae. If you didn't see it, France took the last shot down 3, as the clock expired, and made it, but the shooter's foot was over the line by 6 in.
No, All-current USA lineup.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes

This guy just sucks. :laugh:

“When Lyles was negotiating an Adidas contract extension last year”……

“In February, Lyles signed a new deal with the company, reportedly the most lucrative track-and-field contract in the post-Bolt era.”

I mean…..

alonzo-mourning.gif

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
In running there are very few signature shoes for whatever reason. Even signature colorways are rare.

philly_28

Valar Morghulis
Apr 9, 2007
Philly area rower Nick Mead carrying the flag with Katie Ledecky.

There is non-zero chance I met Nick back in 2019.

The rowing World Championship was in my hometown that year. As I was walking out from a mall with my Eagles shirt somebody yelled "Go Birds!" at me. I was a little perplexed (nobody yells that here normally) and didn't know who said that.

Outside of the mall I met the family of a "US rower from the Philly area". They noticed my Eagles shirt and talked to me. I don't remember their names, but it sounds pretty fitting.

And according to a quick google search, Nick was competing at the 2019 Rowing World Championship.

Reactions: Jack Straw

Jack Straw

Moving much too slow.
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2010
New York
There is non-zero chance I met Nick back in 2019.

The rowing World Championship was in my hometown that year. As I was walking out from a mall with my Eagles shirt somebody yelled "Go Birds!" at me. I was a little perplexed (nobody yells that here normally) and didn't know who said that.

Outside of the mall I met the family of a "US rower from the Philly area". They noticed my Eagles shirt and talked to me. I don't remember their names, but it sounds pretty fitting.

And according to a quick google search, Nick was competing at the 2019 Rowing World Championship.
That's pretty cool, even if it wasn't him.

Reactions: philly_28

philly_28

Valar Morghulis
Apr 9, 2007
That's pretty cool, even if it wasn't him.

Absolutely, yeah. I showed my picture with Jake Elliott to the dad of the rower, he showed me pictures of the Super Bowl parade and a picture of himself with the Lombardi trophy. The dad also took a selfie with me. Everybody was happy, no one had expected to randomly meet a fellow Philly sports fan.

So yeah, even if it wasn't him but some other rower, pretty cool experience still.

PS: I live in Austria. Just to stress the level of unexpectedness of all that happening, haha.

Reactions: Jack Straw

Superman33

Feb 27, 2002
Bucks County.
Absolutely, yeah. I showed my picture with Jake Elliott to the dad of the rower, he showed me pictures of the Super Bowl parade and a picture of himself with the Lombardi trophy. The dad also took a selfie with me. Everybody was happy, no one had expected to randomly meet a fellow Philly sports fan.

So yeah, even if it wasn't him but some other rower, pretty cool experience still.

PS: I live in Austria. Just to stress the level of unexpectedness of all that happening, haha.

It is crazy how the Eagles can bring people together all of the world, even if they live next to each other.

My dad and a friend rented a place in Grand Cayman last January. The Eagles ended up playing the 49ers in the NFC Championship game their first week there. Before they left, knowing the game was going to be happening, they made me find them a bar on the island that would carry the game. They walked into that bar wearing Eagles gear and ran into other people wearing Eagles gear. Naturally, they talked.

Turns out they were from "outside of Philly". Weird, my dad is too. They said, it is in New Jersey, my dad had probably never heard of it. A little beach island with three total traffic lights called Brigantine.

We live on the same tiny island, but they met on a different tiny island almost 1,500 miles away. All because of the Birds.

Mkoll

Inkvisiittori
Jul 5, 2008
Saint John, NB, Canada
There is a guy around the corner from me here in Saint John who wears an Eagles cap. When I first saw him I was all excited because we had just moved here from Philly. "Go Birds!" I said, and he responded with "what?" and I said your cap, the Eagles?

He said "Oh, I dont really know them, someone just gave this to me".
Excitement shattered.

he still wears it everyday.

my wife and I did meet a guy with a Flyers jersey though, he was actually a fan. Rare in the Maritimes.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad