Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
Yeah this game is not going to get seats in the crowd

Chairman Maouth

Retired Staff
Apr 29, 2009
Comox Valley
When we were talking about the crowd earlier for some reason I was thinking it was in BC. :laugh:

Still sucks for the league, but at least it's not as embarrassing for us.

MikeK

Nov 10, 2008
Earth
Sucks for the league big time. It's still the same issues as us though. All comes down to ticket prices. The general masses just don't see the CFL as worth the cost. They'd rather watch it on HDTV than pay the price to get in plus ridiculous concession prices.

MikeK

Nov 10, 2008
Earth
Pretty dull game for 3 qtrs but the last 15mins was fun. Still though, I'll take it.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
Sucks for the league big time. It's still the same issues as us though. All comes down to ticket prices. The general masses just don't see the CFL as worth the cost. They'd rather watch it on HDTV than pay the price to get in plus ridiculous concession prices.

Yet people pay 3 times more for the ****** Canucks home games.

MikeK

Nov 10, 2008
Earth
Yet people pay 3 times more for the ****** Canucks home games.

Truth be told I actually enjoy live CFL games more than I do NHL. I personally feel the CFL is an absolute blast to be in the stands for. It's the perception though. The CFL will always only be a house league for the majority of the public and not worth the premium prices required to actually get in to good seats and the concession costs added on to it. It's the same stuff I've been harping about for years. We select few see the value but unfortunately we don't fill the stadiums.

Captain Bowie

Jan 18, 2012
Truth be told I actually enjoy live CFL games more than I do NHL. I personally feel the CFL is an absolute blast to be in the stands for. It's the perception though. The CFL will always only be a house league for the majority of the public and not worth the premium prices required to actually get in to good seats and the concession costs added on to it. It's the same stuff I've been harping about for years. We select few see the value but unfortunately we don't fill the stadiums.

I am interested to see how the $5 kids tickets do during the summer. Great idea, let's see if it works in practice. Still couldn't get 20K for the home opener though.

I walked up last Saturday and bought the cheapest ticket for what ended up being $33. Yeah, the cheapest ticket should probably be in the 20-25 range but I seem to remember 5 years ago it was more like 40+, I could be wrong though.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC

I've been a season ticket holder for the past decade, and prior to that still went to 7-8 games per year. It really is great entertainment and great value. I usually avoid the concessions. I'll have dinner at Russet Shack or 5 Guys if I'm being frugal, or a pub beforehand. Then at the stadium it's a simple bottle of water. The Lions don't even get any of the concession money anyway.

MikeK

Nov 10, 2008
Earth
I remember a few years back, you could get a pair of tickets at 7-11 for $30. Or something close to that.

That was some time ago now. The problem with those cheap tickets is that, unless you actually prefer or enjoy the stadium atmosphere, you almost always get better viewing watching the game on HDTV. This is just my opinion of course, but to really get good viewing angles at the stadium you have to be in that 30-30 area. Good luck getting 2 of those tickets for less than $150 unless you deal directly through the Lions. Then you still have the gross concession prices and potential travel costs on top of it.

I agree wholeheartedly that the CFL has value. But the sad fact about the general public is that they don't share that same view and it's why we've seen empty stadiums the last 10+ years.

MikeK

Nov 10, 2008
Earth
I am interested to see how the $5 kids tickets do during the summer. Great idea, let's see if it works in practice. Still couldn't get 20K for the home opener though.

I walked up last Saturday and bought the cheapest ticket for what ended up being $33. Yeah, the cheapest ticket should probably be in the 20-25 range but I seem to remember 5 years ago it was more like 40+, I could be wrong though.

It's a good start but unless Dad or Mom see's value in sitting at the complete end of the field and watching most of the game on the big screen I don't think it's going to change anything. Not everyone values the stadium atmosphere like myself or others so they probably think watching the game on HDTV is a better way to go.

That is something the league never had to face until TSN took over broadcasting rights. HDTV has become a major reason why most teams are finding it hard to get people in. The cost of good seats and concession loses out to the comforts of home and HDTV almost every time with the general public.

I've said it so many times and for so many years now that I truly believe the league has lost an entire generation of potential fans because they were never taken to games as kids like many of us were. They never had that chance to form a bond with the team and game. Talk to any late 20s and even early 30s about the Lions or the CFL and probably 9/10 of them laugh or honestly couldn't tell much about any of it. Real sad.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad