GDT: Panthers @ Canes 2/7/14 - 7 PM

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

nobuddy

Oct 13, 2010
Nowhere
CAROLINA
Jiri Tlusty - Eric Staal - Alexander Semin
Jeff Skinner - Jordan Staal - Elias Lindholm
Nathan Gerbe - Manny Malhotra - Pat Dwyer
Drayson Bowman - Riley Nash - Tuomo Ruutu

Andrej Sekera - Justin Faulk
Ron Hainsey - John-Michael Liles
Jay Harrison - Brett Bellemore

Anton Khudobin
Cam Ward

FLORIDA
Sean Bergenheim - Sasha Barkov - Brad Boyes
Jonathan Huberdeau - Nick Bjugstad - Scottie Upshall
Tomas Fleischmann - Marcel Goc - Tomas Kopecky
Jesse Winchester - Shawn Matthias - Scott Gomez

Brian Campbell - Tom Gilbert
Ed Jovanovski - Erik Gudbranson
Mike Weaver - Dmitri Kulikov

Tim Thomas​

The Hurricanes enter play tonight having played the fewest games of any team in the National Hockey League. They sit 5 points out of a playoff spot with three games in hand. They have little room for error, as they chase down super elite hockey squads like the New York Rangers, Philadelphia Flyers, Detroit Red Wings... and some team from somewhere called "Columbus". Will have to do research on that to verify. Obviously, the strategy remains the same. Get pucks deep, play our game, go to the dirty areas, do the little things, call our time out at the exact right time in the exact right situation, play North-South hockey, and we should come out of tonight with two points in our back pocket.

The opponent tonight? A team that boasts the longest average last name for left wingers in the entire league. In goal they typically throw out Rep. Tim Thomas (R-MI). The last time the two teams met, Alex Semin was good for two goals, leading the Hurricanes to a 3-1 victory over their former Southeast Division foes. What will happen tonight? You will have to watch on FS-Carolinas or listen on 99.9FM The Fan ESPN Radio to find out.

...or read this thread and watch the season be declared over after a 0-0 first period in which the Panthers outshoot the Canes 10-9.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Hey WTF. A while back you posted a puck possession chart that I think showed how teams stacked up and how all the playoff teams/cup winners had the best numbers (it was one that had the team logos). Just curious, how does it look for the eastern conference for this season to date? Just wondering how the Canes stack up against the teams they are competing with for the playoffs (Det, CLB, Phil, NYR, WSH, etc..)

Obviously, that is what is happened in the past so winning games going forward is all that counts, just curious.

nobuddy

Oct 13, 2010
Nowhere
hey wtf. A while back you posted a puck possession chart that i think showed how teams stacked up and how all the playoff teams/cup winners had the best numbers (it was one that had the team logos). Just curious, how does it look for the eastern conference for this season to date? Just wondering how the canes stack up against the teams they are competing with for the playoffs (det, clb, phil, nyr, wsh, etc..)

obviously, that is what is happened in the past so winning games going forward is all that counts, just curious.

CF%:

CAR: 49.4
CBJ: 51.3
PHI: 49.1
WSH: 49.1
NYR: 52.6
DET: 51.2

noncaps

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
CF%:

CAR: 49.4
CBJ: 51.3
PHI: 49.1
WSH: 49.1
NYR: 52.6
DET: 51.2

noncaps

As a person that doesn't religiously follow these things, I've seen people use CF% and Fenwick (FF%). What's the difference? And also seen these numbers used all 5v5 and something called "5v5 Close". Again, what is the difference and what is the significance of it?

Maybe there should be a separate "advanced stats" thread.

nobuddy

Oct 13, 2010
Nowhere
As a person that doesn't religiously follow these things, I've seen people use CF% and Fenwick (FF%). What's the difference? And also seen these numbers used all 5v5 and something called "5v5 Close". Again, what is the difference and what is the significance of it?

Maybe there should be a separate "advanced stats" thread.

Corsi is all shot attempts but Fenwick is all shot attempts except shots that get blocked. Apparently we have a lot of shots blocked as we go from 16th in CF% to to 25th in FF%.

The stats I gave you were 5v5 close.

In all situations we are 8th in CF% and 14th in FF%.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
Corsi is all shot attempts but Fenwick is all shot attempts except shots that get blocked. Apparently we have a lot of shots blocked as we go from 16th in CF% to to 25th in FF%.

The stats I gave you were 5v5 close.

In all situations we are 8th in CF% and 14th in FF%.

thanks. I assume "close" mean the game is close? If so, I think that's probably the most valid, right? I would imagine being way behind or ahead changes a team's strategy.

Also, the FF% ranking seems to match pretty closely with the difference in overall GF/GA as only 7 teams in the NHL has a worse difference (even though that includes special teams)

nobuddy

Oct 13, 2010
Nowhere
thanks. I assume "close" mean the game is close? If so, I think that's probably the most valid, right? I would imagine being way behind or ahead changes a team's strategy.

Also, the FF% ranking seems to match pretty closely with the difference in overall GF/GA as only 7 teams in the NHL has a worse difference (even though that includes special teams)

Right but that correlation may not be as valid depending upon the context of PDO.

Like Toronto is dead last in the league in CF% but they're top five in PDO and thus they're ~12th-15th in the league.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
Right but that correlation may not be as valid depending upon the context of PDO.

Like Toronto is dead last in the league in CF% but they're top five in PDO and thus they're ~12th-15th in the league.

Thanks, So what the stats are saying is that teams that shoot more than their opponents in close games are usually more successful, but if they don't have that, they have to have a high shooting % and have good goaltending?

Go figure. :sarcasm:

Interesting, that there are only 6 teams in the NHL with LESS Regular/OT wins than the Leafs. Similar to Washington, shoot outs and powerplay goals are saving their bacon (although they have a bit better Goaltending than WSH).

What the Faulk

You'll know when you go
May 30, 2005
North Carolina

And PDO is save percentage plus shooting percentage, and over the long long haul it normalizes close to one. If a team is running at, say, 104, they're generally running on good luck and will likely see things turn around at some point. Again, no guarantees, but there's a good chance.

Others like Pittsburgh will naturally run slightly higher, but not several points.

Their CF% on the year still isn't that great, below 50%, but since early December they've been consistently winning the possession battle. No surprise they've won more often than not.

PaulProteus

****ing amaxing dman
Feb 6, 2012
Raleigh, NC
On the streaming "Storm Surge" broadcast just now, Tripp told a story about dissecting a chicken and having to reassemble the skeleton as a science project because he had to go to the Quebec Pee-Wee tournament and his girlfriend is French.

Amber Jaye: "Now, let's switch gears..."

caniac315

Nov 21, 2011
Raleigh, NC
I'm looking for a win tonight. And on a side note, please bring back the gift horse and get rid of the baby with the players dangling over commercial. :yo:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad