Post-Game Talk: Panthers 2, Devils 1 OT - '16-17 Season Opener

Status
Not open for further replies.

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ
For some reason Palmieri only had 12 minutes of ice time. The 2nd period was the only period I would call good. The 1st was pretty rough for most of the time and the 3rd was dreadful

Palmieri had 17:04 of ice time - 5th among forwards behind Henrique, Hall, Zajac & DSP.

Brooklyndevil

Jun 24, 2005
Freehold, NJ USA
I noticed another thing, not sure if it's a skill problem or speed problem. However, both Greene and Severson were caught from behind trying to skate the puck out of the zone.

It's imperative to a couple guys who can do that on a constant basis, especially when the other team has you pinned in your zone. Also, Auvitu makes me nervous with some of his short passes, especially at our blue line. I'm sure Hynes will correct that.

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey
Just watching a replay of our lone goal, nice patience by Auvitu on taking his shot. Can't believe how close Zacha was to netting his first right before that. Seemed like he had a pretty solid game overall?

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
I noticed another thing, not sure if it's a skill problem or speed problem. However, both Greene and Severson were caught from behind trying to skate the puck out of the zone.

It's imperative to a couple guys who can do that on a constant basis, especially when the other team has you pinned in your zone. Also, Auvitu makes me nervous with some of his short passes, especially at our blue line. I'm sure Hynes will correct that.

I hope not. It's nice having players that don't always just play it safe all the time and actually try to make things happen

I would like to see these forward line.

Hall-Rico-Palimeri
Cammy-Zajac-Bennet
Wood-Zacha-DSP
Kalinin-Fid-Speers

Plus Santini.

Bleh. Great first line 3 **** lines

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
Jake played well last night. One of the only forwards to do so. Not sure why people want to bench him already, but not surprised.

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
i would agree with the majority- need DSP off the 1st line pronto. otherwise, not the worst season opener i've seen from this team. looking forward to an even bigger test tomorrow night

njdevil26

I hate avocados
Dec 13, 2006
Clark, NJ
Jake played well last night. One of the only forwards to do so. Not sure why people want to bench him already, but not surprised.

Because what you saw last night is the absolute best you're going to get with him. He will look promising... but he will not contribute ANYTHING... at least until the team gets to a shootout. I can't tell you how many times this board has talked about him having a solid game and signs that he's putting it together... For some reason he just can't flip that switch. He is a perennial non-factor.

Burner Account

Feb 14, 2008
I'll admit I paid less attention last year than in previous years, but did I miss something in that time that would explain DSP being on the first line?

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
Because what you saw last night is the absolute best you're going to get with him. He will look promising... but he will not contribute ANYTHING... at least until the team gets to a shootout. I can't tell you how many times this board has talked about him having a solid game and signs that he's putting it together... For some reason he just can't flip that switch. He is a perennial non-factor.

so he had a solid game and others did not, but we should bench him because he didn't score?

makes sense.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Kinda funny how bad the bottom 6 was last season at producing anything 5v5 and the only offense we got was an even strength goal from the 3rd line.

The top 6 was atrocious really.

njdevil26

I hate avocados
Dec 13, 2006
Clark, NJ
so he had a solid game and others did not, but we should bench him because he didn't score?

makes sense.

I'm not saying he deserves to be benched after how he played last night.

I am saying the Devils need to find a permanent REPLACEMENT for him. I don't know how many years we are going to keep this guy around when he contributes next to nothing for this team. From a third line winger I look for a guy to be able to score 10-15 goals and add a physical element both of which we know JJ won't provide.

tr83

Nope, still embarassed
Oct 14, 2013
Jersey Shore

Jake does everything adequately except scoring. He's like oatmeal. It's nutritious but it won't tickle your taste buds.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
I'm not saying he deserves to be benched after how he played last night.

I am saying the Devils need to find a permanent REPLACEMENT for him. I don't know how many years we are going to keep this guy around when he contributes next to nothing for this team. From a third line winger I look for a guy to be able to score 10-15 goals and add a physical element both of which we know JJ won't provide.

he shouldn't be a 3rd liner, I fully agree with that. But he still has value to the team.

Anyways, this has been beaten to death so I am not going to carry on anymore.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Josefson with Zacha doesn't make much sense to me regardless of whether or not you thought he played well. I think Wood on that wing would've been much more interesting.

And honestly, I was shocked they didn't give Wood a shift or two on a higher line. He played well. When you have a top 6 as flat as ours was last night, a good tool is throw youth and exuberance into the mix to see if you can shocked the system. Somebody (me personally would've taken it out on Palmieri) should've been demoted last night to make a point.

Camille the Eel

How about playing Cammalleri on the off wing with Hall and Henrique.

I didn't realize how Hall can set up his line mates. More assists than goals last year. The shifty chance he made for Henrique in overtime with that no look pass across the slot. If it had been Cammy with that chance, he'd have buried it, game over.

If those are the kind of chances Hall is going to generate, give him a pure finisher on the opposite wing. Cammalleri.

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
As I noticed in the preseason and pointed out, our foundation vets (Greene, Camm, Trav, Rico) were not at their best last night, they were not as sharp as the Florida leaders.

That has to change and in a hurray.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad