GDT: P1: Wild @ Jets | 7PM CST

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
TBF, Merrill also made some ok plays later in the game. I was surprised at how mediocre Freddy was... I expected him to come in and shine amongst lesser competition. he wasn't awful, but he sure didn't excel out there. Either he's still hurt, or needs some time to round into shape, or he has simply declined due to age. It's not like he has ever been a star, but he had two years of scoring around 40 points, while playing a solid two way C with good FO %'s. To see him struggle to make an impression in what is essentially a prospects game is disappointing.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
TBF, Merrill also made some ok plays later in the game. I was surprised at how mediocre Freddy was... I expected him to come in and shine amongst lesser competition. he wasn't awful, but he sure didn't excel out there. Either he's still hurt, or needs some time to round into shape, or he has simply declined due to age. It's not like he has ever been a star, but he had two years of scoring around 40 points, while playing a solid two way C with good FO %'s. To see him struggle to make an impression in what is essentially a prospects game is disappointing.

How did Hunt look? I saw he scored a PP goal. My hope is that we have some LD who can force them to not play Merrill, and Merrill can take over Sheppard's role as chief popcorn officer

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
How did Hunt look? I saw he scored a PP goal. My hope is that we have some LD who can force them to not play Merrill, and Merrill can take over Sheppard's role as chief popcorn officer
He and Chisholm were clearly the best D. Chisholm the better skater and puck carrier, Hunt the heavier player, and by no means clumsy with the puck, or skating wise. His shot was nice and hard. I noticed him to gesturing to a few of the other players both before, and during play, showing some leadership. He seems decent defensively, but would like more speed, aggression, and competence while retrieving the puck and in puck battles. He's got the frame for it. Was pretty composed and effective in the O zone...can't recall him doing too much bad or good in the neutral zone.

So, nothing eye opening, but he had a good all round game. Better than Merrill's, who looked bad in the 1st period, slightly better afterwards.

Russo, in his latest article, said that they can bury 1.15M of Merrill's 1.2M salary in the minors, so there's no cap reason that Hunt can't make the team over him. As a matter of fact, they would save money by having Hunt(823 K) over Merrill.

Reactions: AKL

Obvious Fabertism

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2009
MN
I liked Hunt quite a bit last night, thought he played very solidly and showed great confidence, if he carries that forward and shows he can be consistent then he definitely could take over Merrill’s spot.

The AHL guys as a whole were so much better than last year, very early but it appears we will have significantly better call up options than we had last season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad