Owen Sound Attack 2023-24 Off-Season Thread (Part 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stellar29

Sep 12, 2016
Owen Sound
Wondering if you are looking to trade now if Brantford would move Jake O'Brien
That would be an awfully steep price for Brantford. I can't imagine that conversation would go very far. Doesn't hurt to ask for the moon though.

I think Brantford has too many draft picks available for that to even really be a consideration for them right now. Just my two cents.

PensFan101

Forever Champions.
Apr 23, 2007
Owen Sound
Now with Rekhopf to Brampton for 10 picks, does DD entertain moving 39 right now ?
I would prefer players plus picks to an all pick package, and the market for ohl trades so far is set really high. Maybe if a good 17 year old, or multiples, are in play.

Then again, there is value to having the direction set early and Barlow having the whole season on a new team rather than biding his time here.

Reactions: Millpond

frontsfan67

Dec 3, 2022
Good thing people are allowed to spit ball on here without being ridiculed....the Owen Sound site
I get the spitballing part but atleast make it realistic. Obrien himself may have even more value than Barlow lol. Averaged above a ppg as a rookie. He could be here for 3 more seasons of top tier hockey where as Barlow just had an off year with the rest of the team and will be gone for sure at the end of the season.

Barlow is better now obviously but throwing in 3 seasons vs 1 it’s not even close you take obrien

Last edited:
Reactions: MJ5

Millpond

Dec 5, 2015
I get the spitballing part but atleast make it realistic. Obrien himself may have even more value than Barlow lol. Averaged above a ppg as a rookie. He could be here for 3 more seasons of top tier hockey where as Barlow just had an off year with the rest of the team and will be gone for sure at the end of the season.

Barlow is better now obviously but throwing in 3 seasons vs 1 it’s not even close you take obrien
Barlow was far more accomplished as a rookie than Obrien.

Reactions: AttackRinkRat

frontsfan67

Dec 3, 2022
Barlow was far more accomplished as a rookie than Obrien.
Maybe.

Better goal scorer obviously but 47pts in 59 games for Barlow vs 64pts in 61 games for o’brien

Regardless, if you are a gm would you rather 1 year of where Colby is now, or 3 more years of O’Brien being likely an 80+pt guy every year? You’d be fired in minutes if you made that trade

Last edited:
Reactions: dirty12 and MJ5

Millpond

Dec 5, 2015
Maybe.

Better goal scorer obviously but 47pts in 59 games for Barlow vs 64pts in 61 games for o’brien

Regardless, if you are a gm would you rather 1 year of where Colby is now, or 3 more years of O’Brien being likely an 80+pt guy every year? You’d be fired in minutes if you made that trade
Thanks for your input. Let's see what happens .

KFawcett

Oct 13, 2017
Just out of curiosity, does the haul Kitchener got for Rehkopf change anyone's mind about a pick heavy return and moving Barlow now vs waiting until the deadline and picking up a 1st round 08 player?

I can see we both had the same thought lol
YES!!!! Actually I was open to a heavy pick return before but if there is no 08 involved the picks would need to be heavy. Something similar to the Rehkopf return would be awesome. I think Dale should hopefully be testing the waters. I listened to M.M talking about the deal and what he said applies to Colby. He will leave for Jets camp for how long? Then he leaves early Dec for WJC camp how many game does he play here?

Kingpin794

Smart A** In A Jersey
Apr 25, 2012
209 at the Van
I don't think Barlow should be seen as equal value to Rehkopf. Rehkopf was THE top guy that was going to be moved this year. Barlow is extremely talented but he is one dimensional. He is there to score goals. Rehkopf is a much more balanced player. Those kind of guys are always going to be valued more than pure goal scorers. Still would put the price at player plus 3 or so picks or 6/7 picks if no player is involved.

Reactions: MJ5 and sbpointer

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
I don't think Barlow should be seen as equal value to Rehkopf. Rehkopf was THE top guy that was going to be moved this year. Barlow is extremely talented but he is one dimensional. He is there to score goals. Rehkopf is a much more balanced player. Those kind of guys are always going to be valued more than pure goal scorers. Still would put the price at player plus 3 or so picks or 6/7 picks if no player is involved.
barlow is better when he is on, he was off all year. start of the year will be interesting. plus, supply and demand, the less wjc guys available for trade, the more valuable they get.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Rehkopf can play centre, a much, much more difficult position to acquire.

It seems to me that OS needs players now. I would trade Barlow right now for ‘07 J.Newton, a couple of two year players; plus 3, 5, 6 picks this year and 2, 3, 4 picks to fill remaining voids. Barrie could afford that.

Reactions: Millpond

Millpond

Dec 5, 2015

It seems to me that OS needs players now. I would trade Barlow right now for ‘07 J.Newton, a couple of two year players; plus 3, 5, 6 picks this year and 2, 3, 4 picks to fill remaining voids. Barrie could afford that.
Let's have at er

Stellar29

Sep 12, 2016
Owen Sound

Owen Sound says no real quick on that package. I'm sure that package is very easily beat elsewhere. If Barrie is moving young players in the deal they won't be throw ins, it's going to sting a bit for Barrie to not include Vaughan. With Rehkopf going yesterday, the big fish left on the board basically comes down to Romani and Barlow with Musty seemingly unavailable with whatever Sudbury is up to. It's going to be an uncomfortable price I'm sure for those in the chase for the player.

Reactions: frontsfan67

Stellar29

Sep 12, 2016
Owen Sound
Couple of items that came to mind for me last night that I think will be interesting to follow heading into camp:

Carter George will be away at King's camp, which could be an extended stay with a good showing, as well as very likely trip to the World Juniors Tournament this year which very likely means the Attack sign a third goalie this year. I think that will be interesting to follow in camp to see who that might be. I would think it would be unlikely that they carry an EBUG for that long while George is away.

The second item is who will the leadership group be this year? Barlow projects to be the only returning player who wore a letter last season. I would think Jordan will be a part of the leadership group but who else? Sam McCue would seem to feature heavily in the offense, would he make sense? James Petrovski should eat a bunch of minutes this year? If Jackson Stewart is part of the team does he wear a letter as a guy who sets the example of working hard and not taking nights off? Or maybe a Jake Crawford as a bridge to the youth on the roster and a player who works hard? It will be interesting to see who the coaching staff picks to wear letters this year. Is there anyone else that might be an option that I haven't listed?

cruickshankd

Jun 3, 2024
Couple of items that came to mind for me last night that I think will be interesting to follow heading into camp:

Carter George will be away at King's camp, which could be an extended stay with a good showing, as well as very likely trip to the World Juniors Tournament this year which very likely means the Attack sign a third goalie this year. I think that will be interesting to follow in camp to see who that might be. I would think it would be unlikely that they carry an EBUG for that long while George is away.

The second item is who will the leadership group be this year? Barlow projects to be the only returning player who wore a letter last season. I would think Jordan will be a part of the leadership group but who else? Sam McCue would seem to feature heavily in the offense, would he make sense? James Petrovski should eat a bunch of minutes this year? If Jackson Stewart is part of the team does he wear a letter as a guy who sets the example of working hard and not taking nights off? Or maybe a Jake Crawford as a bridge to the youth on the roster and a player who works hard? It will be interesting to see who the coaching staff picks to wear letters this year. Is there anyone else that might be an option that I haven't listed?
Ben Cormier

Stellar29

Sep 12, 2016
Owen Sound
The Attack need a goalie coach again. Paul Gibson has stepped down.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Owen Sound says no real quick on that package. I'm sure that package is very easily beat elsewhere. If Barrie is moving young players in the deal they won't be throw ins, it's going to sting a bit for Barrie to not include Vaughan. With Rehkopf going yesterday, the big fish left on the board basically comes down to Romani and Barlow with Musty seemingly unavailable with whatever Sudbury is up to. It's going to be an uncomfortable price I'm sure for those in the chase for the player.

I believe NB will not trade Romani f there is even a slim chance of him returning for an OA season. That is not a real stretch as Vancouver has two years before having to commit $ and spot on its’ protected list.

The colts could move Vaughn for the best of the very easy LW position to upgrade if he is not as promising as the #5 pick should be.
The realistic suitors for Barlow are Barrie, Flint, and unlikely but possibly Brantford or Brampton in a pick heavy trade. It has been speculated that Bertucci wants both out of Flint and play with Barlow, so that might rule out Flint.
An ‘08-1st or bust has high bust potential imo.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad