Owen Sound Attack 2019-20 Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

leafsrdue

Oct 4, 2014
Machachek looked great this morning. Burroughs and Goure look like solid picks. Straub........... not sure.

AttackSound

Junior Hockey Fan Since Birth
Aug 25, 2016
Owen Sound, Ontario
McMaster is now listed in the preseason roster. Still no Robinson.

16 forwards now appear on the preseason roster, not including any possible additions such as Waters or Lesage. Definitely crowded up front!

Agreed 16 forwards and 6 blue-liners listed for the pre-season roster is steep from a forwards perspective can see the team going after another solid D-men to round out the back-end.

Even with the returning blue-liners Dale really needs to bring a prospective blue-liner in the system for the future. There will be a lot of decisions still to be made before main camp tomorrow.

Decisions, decisions. The talent is there this year but with limited spots available there will be a lot of talent displaced to lower level clubs.

AttackSound

Aug 25, 2016
Owen Sound, Ontario
Anyone have insights on this afts scrimmage saw the morning stint but wonder of any guys beyond the obvious who stood out in this afternoon's portion of the camp.

Pond Hockey

Jun 9, 2002
Anyone have insights on this afts scrimmage saw the morning stint but wonder of any guys beyond the obvious who stood out in this afternoon's portion of the camp.
Biggest standout this afternoon is probably who was not on the ice....no Brody Waters, looks like he left camp. One less decision to make.

It was a fairly tame scrimmage. 3-0 for Team Red, with 2 goals scored on penalty shots. I thought Machacek continued on from his strong play this morning, otherwise no real standouts.

I think both teams looked tired, especially in the last half of the game.

A quieter day from Lawrence and Samanski.
Straub didn't do too much out there. Wondering if he's not playing at 100%. He looks OK when he has the puck, but when he doesn't have the puck he doesn't skate much or look very engaged. He's the oldest guy at rookie camp, the only '01 there. He's going to have to raise his compete level a few notches at main camp.

I thought Small looked pretty good again today. Just an overall smart player, makes good decisions, doesn't try to do too much, good positioning, makes good first passes, can skate the puck out of trouble under pressure and can lead a rush when he has the space.

Really looking forward to main camp to see how all these young forwards look alongside the vets.

AttackSound

Aug 25, 2016
Owen Sound, Ontario
Biggest standout this afternoon is probably who was not on the ice....no Brody Waters, looks like he left camp. One less decision to make.

It was a fairly tame scrimmage. 3-0 for Team Red, with 2 goals scored on penalty shots. I thought Machacek continued on from his strong play this morning, otherwise no real standouts.

I think both teams looked tired, especially in the last half of the game.

A quieter day from Lawrence and Samanski.
Straub didn't do too much out there. Wondering if he's not playing at 100%. He looks OK when he has the puck, but when he doesn't have the puck he doesn't skate much or look very engaged. He's the oldest guy at rookie camp, the only '01 there. He's going to have to raise his compete level a few notches at main camp.

I thought Small looked pretty good again today. Just an overall smart player, makes good decisions, doesn't try to do too much, good positioning, makes good first passes, can skate the puck out of trouble under pressure and can lead a rush when he has the space.

Really looking forward to main camp to see how all these young forwards look alongside the vets.

Interesting, that Small was in the mix seemed to be the steadier of the defenders in camp although not really a surprise being his 2nd camp this year.

AttackRinkRat

Apr 1, 2017
Agree with insights. Attended both scrimmages today. The players that seemed to continued to work hard were Samanski, Czech import, Lawrence, Burroughs, Underwood. Small seemed pretty good, as was Sedley. Seemed to be harder to get a handle on D men. Catalano seemed to be a one man player; while he skated fast and took off with the puck, a bit of a grandstander and not a team player. Very difficult decision for management as all players seemed to have pretty good skills. Latassa and Chenard stood out as goalies. Waters was not on the ice in afternoon scrimmage. Goure seemed to be under the radar; very much like a Nick Suzuki to me...likes to hover around the outside of the play to get that lead pass.

Will be interesting to see who goes onto full camp. What we see and what management are looking for can be two different things. Not a lot of holes to be filled on the team.

AttackSound

Aug 25, 2016
Owen Sound, Ontario
Agree with insights. Attended both scrimmages today. The players that seemed to continued to work hard were Samanski, Czech import, Lawrence, Burroughs, Underwood. Small seemed pretty good, as was Sedley. Seemed to be harder to get a handle on D men. Catalano seemed to be a one man player; while he skated fast and took off with the puck, a bit of a grandstander and not a team player. Very difficult decision for management as all players seemed to have pretty good skills. Latassa and Chenard stood out as goalies. Waters was not on the ice in afternoon scrimmage. Goure seemed to be under the radar; very much like a Nick Suzuki to me...likes to hover around the outside of the play to get that lead pass.

Will be interesting to see who goes onto full camp. What we see and what management are looking for can be two different things. Not a lot of holes to be filled on the team.

Certainly one of the hardest camps to project who will make the team this year.

Can I agree that we the fans really only see what is right in front of us, managment has not also a deeper look into these kids but has one of the hardest tasks of all OHL teams staff members.

What sometimes we fans forget is these are kids and they have good days and bad days, highs and lows, good shifts and challenging ones. These kids are kids and sometimes we the fans need to remember right now is that they're probably riding emotional highs and lows since arriving here for camp Monday.

There are definitely standouts in the rookie group this year that could make the team and looked good in the past 2 days. Having said that there is guys that need improvement and this camp is a good test of improvement.

Main camp tomorrow will show what management saw in the past few days from the rookie class and give these guys a brief break before competing against returning guys Thursday.

Once they come back we will truly see what the team saw and what the team has to build forward from before our first pre-season game Sunday versus Barrie.

Pond Hockey

Jun 9, 2002
Main camp roster has been released.

Cade Robinson not named on the list, and still not listed on the preseason roster on the team's website. It would appear that his time with the team is done, though it's possible he could still arrive during main camp (I recall that Lazer was a late arrival at main camp last year, but that may have been due to travel issues).

If Robinson is indeed gone, then he and Doherty are the first two veteran forwards to leave. Those were the two guys I thought right off the top would no longer stick with the team given the influx of young forwards. But with the team adding Nizhnikov and Philip, more cuts to veteran roster forwards will be coming.

Reactions: Stellar29

PensFan101

Forever Champions.
Apr 23, 2007
Owen Sound
With an Overage spot open, who might possibly fill it?

(Also the time to point out that this is classic Attack management, and I wish the team would release something acknowledging a player like Robinson moving on.)

Liam Hawel is a name that instantly pops to mind (and wink-wink Guelph could help us out after the deal they got on Suzuki and Durzi). Would provide the top end scoring that this team lacks for all its depth.

With the depth on forward, maybe another overage D could come in, I'm partial to Liam Ham, but not sure how the Steelheads' overage situation has changed in the last few weeks.

If an OA comes into the fold sometime in the near future, it might create even more headaches... Looks like at least four D and 8 forwards need to be cut by the time the season opens.

Millpond

Dec 5, 2015
Kaleb Lawrence has signed. A brilliant move.
He lead all players at U16 this summer with 7 pt in 3 games, 6'5" centre, just what the Attack need.
Welcome to the Scenic City

Reactions: Noofgoof

OHLFan90

Dec 24, 2013
Ontario
Kaleb Lawrence has signed. A brilliant move.
He lead all players at U16 this summer with 7 pt in 3 games, 6'5" centre, just what the Attack need.
Welcome to the Scenic City

Glad he has signed!

Now with Lawrence, Goure and Burroughs,

mixed in with Perrott, seed, Woolley and the ground work is set for a fantastic core 2 seasons from now.

Begs the question, should this team sell regardless this year?

A weird question to ask before the first ex game but it has me thinking.

Dudas nets you a prospect all day, every day. Lyle and Groulx producttion pending probably net some pretty attractive picks.

Could really start to build something great and it would be best to sell off assets rather then watch guys walk out the door for nothing and continue to piddle around picks in trades.

If management is responsible in their approach this season and through next season, we could be in for a very serious two year window.

This will be an interesting season.

AttackSound

Aug 25, 2016
Owen Sound, Ontario
Glad he has signed!

Now with Lawrence, Goure and Burroughs,

mixed in with Perrott, seed, Woolley and the ground work is set for a fantastic core 2 seasons from now.

Begs the question, should this team sell regardless this year?

A weird question to ask before the first ex game but it has me thinking.

Dudas nets you a prospect all day, every day. Lyle and Groulx producttion pending probably net some pretty attractive picks.

Could really start to build something great and it would be best to sell off assets rather then watch guys walk out the door for nothing and continue to piddle around picks in trades.

If management is responsible in their approach this season and through next season, we could be in for a very serious two year window.

This will be an interesting season.

Time will tell what direction the team heads this season, right now the only thing that we the fans can do is see how these guys perform in the first few weeks of the regular season.

Patients is the key right now and if the team thinks that they can continue to make noise without selling the farm to do it then will see the team sit pat.

However like we all know very well 10 and 20 games into the season will be certainly an evaluation time frame for the team on what direction they head.

Right now the roster looks decent enough to compete early on in the year but also this is training camp time and what the team will be today, tomorrow and into 3 weeks from now won't be the same by January or March.

This is junior hockey and it's natural flow of changing rosters and expectations for teams will always be different from now till March.Once we get 10 games into regular season play then will see where this team's season is going.

As for now I believe that this team is in good shape moving forward into this season with the roster for now.

Millpond

Dec 5, 2015
Reading between the lines, DeGray says he may end up going with a larger roster.

By my count, with recent signings , heres the forward group.

In no order.
Dudas, Kirwin, Pearson, Goure, Popov, Phillip, Samanski, Nizhnikov,McMaster, Groulx,Lawrence, Burroughs, Machacek, Straub.

That's 14, and there's lots of camp left .

This will be a fun season, watching these kids develop.

Pond Hockey

Jun 9, 2002
How did Straub look in the main camp?
He doesn't look that fast, often seems to be the last guy back on the backcheck (which led to at least one goal against that I saw), and generally doesn't appear very committed to the defensive side of the game. In the offensive zone, he seems mostly content to find the open ice and wait for the puck to come to him. I'm wondering if he may be playing through an injury, or is otherwise not 100% healthwise.

KFawcett

Oct 13, 2017
Is there any other updates how yesterday went? Any word on cuts?
Yesterday went pretty good there will be no cuts now until after the Red-White game Fri at 6. I lost my breath once in Thursday's afternoon scrimmage when Brady Lyle went down hard after a incidental collision with Popov. He appeared ok and stayed on bench the rest of the game. It looked like he landed right on his tailbone and you could hear a thud. He was kinda favouring his back when he came off the ice. There are some very tough choices to make with the forward group and in my opinion a couple veterans that are in tough against some of these kids.

AttackSound

Aug 25, 2016
Owen Sound, Ontario
He doesn't look that fast, often seems to be the last guy back on the backcheck (which led to at least one goal against that I saw), and generally doesn't appear very committed to the defensive side of the game. In the offensive zone, he seems mostly content to find the open ice and wait for the puck to come to him. I'm wondering if he may be playing through an injury, or is otherwise not 100% healthwise.

Given that imports have the biggest adjustments to get used to in coming to the OHL from where they were playing last season (in this case Germany) to playing in the OHL.

Straub could be another example of a European player who is still finding his way coming into a new country and city can be a big adjustment for a kid. Until you put the kid in a pre-season match preferably against Barrie Sunday afternoon his playing may not have anything to do with health or things that would be associated with his playing abilities.

In most cases when it comes to European players coming to the OHL its usually a communication barrier between the import player and coaching instructions this could be a small part of why he may not be living up to fans expections right away.

Pond Hockey

Jun 9, 2002
Given that imports have the biggest adjustments to get used to in coming to the OHL from where they were playing last season (in this case Germany) to playing in the OHL.

Straub could be another example of a European player who is still finding his way coming into a new country and city can be a big adjustment for a kid. Until you put the kid in a pre-season match preferably against Barrie Sunday afternoon his playing may not have anything to do with health or things that would be associated with his playing abilities.

In most cases when it comes to European players coming to the OHL its usually a communication barrier between the import player and coaching instructions this could be a small part of why he may not be living up to fans expections right away.
Just my own observation, but what I saw was an overall lack of compete level from Straub. I don't think that has anything to do with being an import. Mechacek, by contrast, looks very good out there and doesn't look out of place at all...looks more or less as good as Samanski, IMO. Straub looks like he maybe hasn't quite made up his mind whether he wants to be in North America. At this point I would take LeSage (our 2nd pick in the 2019 U-18 draft) over Straub, unless he's not playing at 100% healthwise.

Last edited:

AttackSound

Aug 25, 2016
Owen Sound, Ontario
Just my own observation, but what I saw was an overall lack of compete level from Straub. I don't think that has anything to do with being an import. Mechacek, by contrast, looks very good out there and doesn't look out of place at all...looks more or less as good as Samanski, IMO. Straub looks like he maybe hasn't quite made up his mind whether he wants to be in North America. At this point I would take LeSage (our 2nd pick in the 2019 U-18 draft) over Straub, unless he's not playing at 100% healthwise.

So many factors can still play into decisions, Sunday will tell the tale what we have when the Colts make their annual double-header pre-season games.

With the RED vs. WHITE game tonight, this will be one of the last chances this season for unsigned guys to impress team management before meeting the Colts Sunday.

Pond Hockey

Jun 9, 2002
He was cut today
I thought he had a pretty good camp. He seemed to have improved from last year. Had one pretty nice goal in a scrimmage. The fact he was let go speaks to the depth this team has up front this season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Denmark vs Great Britain
    Denmark vs Great Britain
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Kazakhstan vs Germany
    Kazakhstan vs Germany
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $2,330.00