Owen Power leaning towards returning to Michigan

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
My god you people are insane. He is not trying to get the Sabres to not pick him by saying he is leaning toward going back to school. He already said if they picked him he would like the idea of his friends and family being able to come watch him play. He is going to want to be the #1 pick, every young hockey player dreams of that.
Ok, Alex Daigle :laugh:

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
It’s hockey. It’s a physical violent game. You’re always 1 shift away from never being able to play again. That’s the reality. The chances of that happening? Probably not high but it’s still a possibility. Not easy to pass up being the #1 pick and millions of dollars. Especially since he might not be the #1 pick next year.

Yes, but we’re basically talking he’d literally have to be in a wheelchair for the rest of his life for someone to not still take a chance on him.

Reactions: SI90

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
I don't buy it... when he sees the contract in front of him and how much money he will make, he will sign that contract so damn fast.

If Sabres wanna sign him asap, he will sign. Only way he goes back is if Buffalo prefers him to go back and they don't offer him a contract

I could understand it making sense for Power to return for another season. Sometimes it doesn't simply boil down to a paycheck.

I wrote this spiel on the prospects board, but from a human standpoint 2020-21 was a weird year. I have friends with kids who are wrapping up their freshman year of college and most of them were lamenting how campus life wasn't what it is normally. I like to think I'm not that far removed from being 19 in college, but I wouldn't begrudge somebody wanting to experience that. I don't think Power goes full Matt Leinart, but being a teenager in college is a unique time.

From a hockey perspective, Michigan didn't get to participate in the National Tournament because of some positive Covid tests. I can only imagine that being a bitter way to end a season and maybe a guy like Power feels like there's some unfinished business in that regard. Mix in Power potentially being a cornerstone for Canada's WJC squad (tournament will be in Canada this year) and those might be a couple of experiences he won't have a chance at again. He could always turn pro after Michigan's season is over.

Like others said, his mindset might be independent to Buffalo or whoever drafts him.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
People that say he would be happy to play for the Sabres...

remember Sam Reinhart? Jack Eichel? Rasmus Dahlin? What if Power talked to any of those guys and has serious reservations about playing for Buffalo and the Pegulas? Those were all "can't miss" prospects in the same situation as Power not long ago.

CowbellConray

Sep 8, 2010
I doubt Powers is thinking anything about not signing at all with Buffalo. He could be leaning towards college as he isn’t the traditional step into the NHL prospect. He might need another development year. At worst he would sign next summer.

CowbellConray

Sep 8, 2010

remember Sam Reinhart? Jack Eichel? Rasmus Dahlin? What if Power talked to any of those guys and has serious reservations about playing for Buffalo and the Pegulas? Those were all "can't miss" prospects in the same situation as Power not long ago.
I remember Eichel, Dahlin both signing right away and not missing a paycheck. Buffalo wasn’t great prior to them either. If the Sabres want Powers to sign, he will

MillerTime

Apr 27, 2003
Halifax

Dahlin does not like playing in Buffalo? Sure did not sound that way in his end of the year press conference. They are cant miss prospects. All three are great players. You are all over the map and have no idea what you are talking about. Pegula's are morons but they spend money and treat the players and their families very well. Their problem is they wont get out of the way like they do with the Bills

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
For other sports, there were rumors about Trevor Lawrence possibly returning back to school if the Jets got the first pick.. Eli Manning forced a trade rather than play for the Chargers. John Elway threatened to play Baseball. If a player doesn't want to play for a team, they have certain options.

MillerTime

Apr 27, 2003
Halifax
Daigle famously said he wanted to go #1 "because no one remembers number two"... the number 2 pick that year was Chris Pronger
what does any of that have to do with him going back to school for a year? Because a #2 pick turned out better then a #1 pick ? That Daigle wanted to be number #1 overall like every single other kid ? Ya you are really proving your point about him trying to dodge getting picked by Buffalo.

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
People are forgetting Blake Wheeler went 5th overall and completely ducked out on signing with the Coyotes because he didn't want to play for them and they got no compensation beyond a token 2nd round selection. It's not "ridiculous" to think Power could do the same... and even if he doesn't, if he threatens to do so, he could use that leverage and forced Buffalo to take someone else so they don't risk completely wasting a first overall pick.

Blake Wheeler was drafted out of HS, played in the USHL after the draft and started his college career in his draft +2 season. Owen Power played college hockey on his draft year. He is much further along in his development. It’s not even a comparison.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
Blake Wheeler was drafted out of HS, played in the USHL after the draft and started his college career in his draft +2 season. Owen Power played college hockey on his draft year. He is much further along in his development. It’s not even a comparison.
My point is that just because a player is picked highly doesn't mean he is a guarantee to sign. Phoenix begged Wheeler to sign but he said no.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
what does any of that have to do with him going back to school for a year? Because a #2 pick turned out better then a #1 pick ? That Daigle wanted to be number #1 overall like every single other kid ? Ya you are really proving your point about him trying to dodge getting picked by Buffalo.
I think players dream of winning the Stanley Cup. Not what order they are called on draft day.

BCNate

Apr 3, 2016
This has nothing him not signing in Buffalo. Most people would agree that after two Covid Seasons, he is better taking an extra year to develop. No fault in that. I highly doubt he has any intention whatsoever of staying at UM for 3 more years to avoid Buffalo taking him.

MillerTime

Apr 27, 2003
Halifax
I think players dream of winning the Stanley Cup. Not what order they are called on draft day.

Ya because usually when you go first overall its to a powerhouse on the cusp of being great. I'm pretty sure every first overall pick is going to a shitty team unless they won the lottery. That's sort of how it works.

I bet every good player projected in the top 3 is sitting their with their family on draft day thinking , boy i really hope I slip 25 spots so that i go right to a cup contender. Cause none of them care where they are called.

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
My point is that just because a player is picked highly doesn't mean he is a guarantee to sign. Phoenix begged Wheeler to sign but he said no.

They were at completely different stages of their development. Wheeler wasn’t going to play in the NHL out of HS or the USHL. Power already has a season in the USHL and College. He would have to wait much longer to get to start his professional career in comparison. By the time Wheeler was at the stage that Power is at now, he had to wait one season. Power will have to play three more college seasons before he is a FA.

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
Meh, I see no problem here. Defensmen really seem to benefit from extra time in the minors and not getting rushed. Probably will be the case here as well. Is it rare for a 1st OA? Yes, but I don't think it should be. If Buffalo picks him, not like they are going to be a contender next season anyway. And if such a thing would happen that they move away from Eichel, that's one more reason to not rush him into the lineup.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
Ya because usually when you go first overall its to a powerhouse on the cusp of being great. I'm pretty sure every first overall pick is going to a shitty team unless they won the lottery. That's sort of how it works.

I bet every good player projected in the top 3 is sitting their with their family on draft day thinking , boy i really hope I slip 25 spots so that i go right to a cup contender. Cause none of them care where they are called.
The difference is Buffalo is currently a nightmare organization with debatably the worst ownership in the League that has a history of ruining promising prospects. Not just a team that had a rough season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad