Player Discussion Owen Power, D (1st overall, 2021) Calder Finalist

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
His transition and passing game are so next level. What I am curious to see is if an emphasis on more in-zone time, more settled offense moving pucks and bodies to the net will unlock one of his strengths from other tiers - that being his ability to pinch into traditionally forward spots to provide pass-shot options low in the slot. In Chicago and then in Michigan, he'd have shifts where he'd go into those areas and even just provide the option for the wall forward to make a play or give the goalie something else to think about. Think about the goals in the COVID cancelled U20's game where he had the hat trick.

That wasn't really something that popped with the way Buffalo was so often a one-and-done rush team. Ruff's Devils were not that, thinking the demand will be for more people to go to the net, for more work on the walls to maintain and extend plays, which will give him more opportunities to flex deep into the zone. I can recall times thinking "that big forward is the best Wolverine on the ice... oh, it's Power" at times when he was in Michigan.

I don't hate the kid. I do see someone who has limitations in his d-zone read and reaction, his willingness or lack thereof to engage his check in contested areas, etc... and hope he is able to polish some of that off so he's even more of an ice tilting presence if teams aren't getting as many chances on the ice with him standing around, watching a good game.

WhereAreTheCookies

Feb 16, 2022
Top Shelf
His transition and passing game are so next level. What I am curious to see is if an emphasis on more in-zone time, more settled offense moving pucks and bodies to the net will unlock one of his strengths from other tiers - that being his ability to pinch into traditionally forward spots to provide pass-shot options low in the slot. In Chicago and then in Michigan, he'd have shifts where he'd go into those areas and even just provide the option for the wall forward to make a play or give the goalie something else to think about. Think about the goals in the COVID cancelled U20's game where he had the hat trick.

That wasn't really something that popped with the way Buffalo was so often a one-and-done rush team. Ruff's Devils were not that, thinking the demand will be for more people to go to the net, for more work on the walls to maintain and extend plays, which will give him more opportunities to flex deep into the zone. I can recall times thinking "that big forward is the best Wolverine on the ice... oh, it's Power" at times when he was in Michigan.

I don't hate the kid. I do see someone who has limitations in his d-zone read and reaction, his willingness or lack thereof to engage his check in contested areas, etc... and hope he is able to polish some of that off so he's even more of an ice tilting presence if teams aren't getting as many chances on the ice with him standing around, watching a good game.
Hopefully once he gets married that helps unleash some of the anger.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad