Prospect Info: Owen Pickering, 21st Overall, 2022 NHL Draft

LastWordArmy

Sep 11, 2011
Canada
Drafted in the ninth round, 177th overall, in the 2019 WHL Bantam Draft, defenceman Owen Pickering has seen his game grow by leaps and bounds. He put up nine goals and 24 assists for 33 points in 62 games for a weak Swift Current Broncos team this season. Pickering was forced to play big minutes and was used in all situations for the Broncos, who finished 10th in the Eastern Conference. Pickering joined Team Canada for the IIHF Under-18 World Championships. He continued to play big minutes even for the national under-18 team. Pickering scored two assists in four tournament games. The Canadian coaching staff named him a top-three player on the team. Pickering also played for Team White at the 2022 CHL Top Prospects Game.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Meh. Pretty much right where he was slated to go.

Swift Current was not very good and very low scoring but he led their D in points. Don’t follow the WHL closely but they should be an improved team so at least the superficial stats should see a bump.

Last edited:

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
I hope he can knock somebody on his butt. AT 180 he can add strength and size which seems to be the case for most selections in the draft. So far trades swapping picks and no players being moved.

Merc29

Sid ney Cr os by
Jul 3, 2006
Minot, ND
Not sexy but needed… I guess it’s the year of Pittsburgh sports teams picking players with the last name with “Pic” in it

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
So he's like Dumoulin's defense, with Matheson's transition game?

I'm tryin' real hard to go big on the optimism here, but when people are throwing out words like composure and poise, I instantly gotta think that means the dude's just another boring turd to the pile.

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
Would it kill this team to draft a sniping winger for once in their damned lives?

Was one even available?

We did but he was a lazy dumass

1657245696237.png

Reactions: Hamurai

TySmith4Norris

Oct 13, 2020
Big Canadian defensemen retain their trade value well, probably what ends up happening to him anyway

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
So he's like Dumoulin's defense, with Matheson's transition game?

I'm tryin' real hard to go big on the optimism here, but when people are throwing out words like composure and poise, I instantly gotta think that means the dude's just another boring turd to the pile.
I think he’s hard to judge because he played on a low scoring bad team. Your passes aren’t leading to goals and your forwards aren’t finding you and you’re defending most of the game.

Just watching now but looks pretty good.

Reactions: Peat

Dominance

99-66-4-9-87/97
Sep 30, 2017
The Land of Hockey
Thrilled with this pick.

Pickering is not “boring.” He has a massive frame but is also one of the best-skating players - not defensemen - in the draft. His first pass is excellent and he makes the small plays - holding onto the puck for an extra second, finding the soft area for a pass, putting a puck into the goalie’s pads from the blueline - that generate chances at the NHL level. Just because he doesn’t attack the net from the blueline like Makar doesn’t mean he’s poor offensively. The other remarkable thing to be really excited about is he spurted up to 6’5” from like 5’7” in only two years, without losing his agility, and still has room to put on a huge amount of muscle - meaning a better shot, an absolute monster along the boards, and even better skating if he trains correctly. This guy can be Slavin, and not the “lite” version.

Patrick “Who” Bacon’s little chart can f*** right off. Swift Current has been terrible throughout Owen’s time there, and his offensive skills have still shone through.

Edit: I agree with the poster who brought up Seider. I don’t expect Pickering to be at that level as quickly, or even at all, but he absolutely has the potential to dominate games in an identical fashion.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $354.00