Post-Game Talk: Ovi's Stanley Cup Champs visit SENS, Sat. 7:00pm (Xmas Edition)

Status
Not open for further replies.

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
and people here think the fan base could withstand a rebuild....right
We're not really in a rebuild though. At least you can't say that we have any kind of clear vision for our future or building towards anything. The primary goal of managment is to cut costs. Otherwise measures would have already been taken to fix our goaltending and coaching issues. Those are problems that only need money to be solved. Low term, low money solutions aren't even on the table. The only other explanation is gross incompetance which would be terrible if we were in a rebuild since a rebuild requires not only luck but solid management.

hawthy

Mar 31, 2010
Ottawa
and people here think the fan base could withstand a rebuild....right

I assume you’re joking - but in case you aren’t - I guess you need reminding that this isn’t the organic rebuild you seem to be fooled into believing is happening.

The building wouldn’t be so empty - winning or losing - it not for the fact everyone (check, almost everyone) knows this isn’t a “well we’ve competed and our window is closed so time to rebuild” situation, as much as it is a “the organization allowed situations to fester and the owner seems to be teetering on the edge” situation. The man TOLD US last December he would tear down the roster, before or after threatening us at an alumni game lol.

If you think this is a designed, planned rebuild, it most definitely is not. They’re very lucky to have a couple pieces to dress up their cheapness and ineptitude as a rebuild. You don’t rebuild without high end, first rounders.

Again, I assume you were joking; just in case somebody thought you weren’t, I needed to elaborate. Heck, I’d have been to a bunch of games this year already if this even resembled a professional operation.

Reactions: Upgrayedd

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
I assume you’re joking - but in case you aren’t - I guess you need reminding that this isn’t the organic rebuild you seem to be fooled into believing is happening.

The building wouldn’t be so empty - winning or losing - it not for the fact everyone (check, almost everyone) knows this isn’t a “well we’ve competed and our window is closed so time to rebuild” situation, as much as it is a “the organization allowed situations to fester and the owner seems to be teetering on the edge” situation. The man TOLD US last December he would tear down the roster, before or after threatening us at an alumni game lol.

If you think this is a designed, planned rebuild, it most definitely is not. They’re very lucky to have a couple pieces to dress up their cheapness and ineptitude as a rebuild. You don’t rebuild without high end, first rounders.

Again, I assume you were joking; just in case somebody thought you weren’t, I needed to elaborate. Heck, I’d have been to a bunch of games this year already if this even resembled a professional operation.
tenor.gif

JD1

Sep 12, 2005

no, I wasn't joking at all and no I don't need a reminder

I completely get that the rebuild is not 100% hockey related....it's financially motivated....but the consensus here is that the root of the financial motivation is the cheapness....what came first? the cheapness or the financial situation? the financial situation was always there and it seems Melnyk covered it for years, pushing a decade. Then his own fortune started to suffer and he arrived at the point where he wouldn't / couldn't cover it and here we are....there are a lot of problems in this market and Melnyk no longer covering cash flow shortages is only one of those problems

a lot of people here clamoured for a rebuild.....well, here we are, this is what it looks like regardless of the motivation that got us here and all we see in GDTs is "this team sucks lol" ...this whole business of not having a first round pick. How did we lose that pick? Trying to acquire better talent and taking on payroll in the process. Did it work? no. But I think the clear plan was to grab the better centre, see where we are at at the TDL and then upgrade from there....but the whole thing fell apart....why that is who knows...but we had a playoff run, which we didn't sell out, then we had a big move 10 games or whatever in to the following season to acquire a 1C and to take on payroll.....and then it all went to shit and plans changed. What happened? Ek not being as effective happened. Anderson stinking happened. A lot happened. But it was a roll of the dice that involved taking on payroll.

and now here we are....lebreton is in the shitter, revenues are right there beside it, and we're in pretty dark days

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa

I completely get that the rebuild is not 100% hockey related....it's financially motivated....but the consensus here is that the root of the financial motivation is the cheapness....what came first? the cheapness or the financial situation? the financial situation was always there and it seems Melnyk covered it for years, pushing a decade. Then his own fortune started to suffer and he arrived at the point where he wouldn't / couldn't cover it and here we are....there are a lot of problems in this market and Melnyk no longer covering cash flow shortages is only one of those problems

a lot of people here clamoured for a rebuild.....well, here we are, this is what it looks like regardless of the motivation that got us here and all we see in GDTs is "this team sucks lol" ...this whole business of not having a first round pick. How did we lose that pick? Trying to acquire better talent and taking on payroll in the process. Did it work? no. But I think the clear plan was to grab the better centre, see where we are at at the TDL and then upgrade from there....but the whole thing fell apart....why that is who knows...but we had a playoff run, which we didn't sell out, then we had a big move 10 games or whatever in to the following season to acquire a 1C and to take on payroll.....and then it all went to **** and plans changed. What happened? Ek not being as effective happened. Anderson stinking happened. A lot happened. But it was a roll of the dice that involved taking on payroll.

and now here we are....lebreton is in the ****ter, revenues are right there beside it, and we're in pretty dark days
If only we had sold an extra 1500 tickets in the spring of 2017. All would have been fine. Melnyk's financial woes would have been solved. :(

Reactions: Deku

Cheapseats

Cigars N F-Bombs
Mar 2, 2004
I’ve got out to 3 games this year. I will still support the team and players not the idiot owner.
This team is caught between a rock and a hard place thanks mostly to mismanagement and not so much being in a status quo rebuild. The disfunctional ways of ownership has shadowed the organization.

I wonder how long the donation line would be this time around should Euge need another liver.

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
December 22, 2018, 7:00 PM
Attendance: 15,605
Arena: Canadian Tire Centre
Game Duration: 2:19​

Season average is inching up, now at 14,406.

Ave Attendance 2017-2018 was 15,829 (includes outdoor game)
without outdoor game 15,376

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
December 22, 2018, 7:00 PM
Attendance: 15,605
Arena: Canadian Tire Centre
Game Duration: 2:19​

Season average is inching up, now at 14,406.

Ave Attendance 2017-2018 was 15,829 (includes outdoor game)
without outdoor game 15,376

The next series of games will benefit from xmas gift push, and weekend matinees. If we aren't getting between 16-17k or more each for the next 6 games, that's a bad sign even if it does push up the average.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007

a lot of people here clamoured for a rebuild.....well, here we are, this is what it looks like regardless of the motivation that got us here and all we see in GDTs is "this team sucks lol" ...this whole business of not having a first round pick. How did we lose that pick? Trying to acquire better talent and taking on payroll in the process. Did it work? no. But I think the clear plan was to grab the better centre, see where we are at at the TDL and then upgrade from there....but the whole thing fell apart....why that is who knows...but we had a playoff run, which we didn't sell out, then we had a big move 10 games or whatever in to the following season to acquire a 1C and to take on payroll.....and then it all went to **** and plans changed. What happened? Ek not being as effective happened. Anderson stinking happened. A lot happened. But it was a roll of the dice that involved taking on payroll.

and now here we are....lebreton is in the ****ter, revenues are right there beside it, and we're in pretty dark days

Whatever helps you sleep at night bud

solidprospect

Borveetzky
Sep 30, 2017
Do rebuilding teams usually trade stars away for the likes of Boedker, play guys like Tom Pyatt every night over prospects and not posses their first rounder picks? How are we building again?
Star players that we didn't win with. Pyatt isnt long term fix, we already have plenty of rookies playing though and we're building by bring in young players.

We sucked with "stars" last year as well as several other seasons.

solidprospect

Borveetzky
Sep 30, 2017
Does anyone remember 1995, playoffs were a pipe dream and we were just happy to have a calder winner let alone a hockey team. Now you're all spoiled little entitled peons.

DaveMatthew

Bring in Peter
Apr 13, 2005
Ott
Star players that we didn't win with. Pyatt isnt long term fix, we already have plenty of rookies playing though and we're building by bring in young players.

We sucked with "stars" last year as well as several other seasons.

It's funny if you think this is year 1 of the rebuild.

The rebuild doesn't really start until Stone and Duchene are traded.

Next year will be year 1, and with the roster we'll have, we'll rival the early 90's Sens teams.

DaveMatthew

Bring in Peter
Apr 13, 2005
Ott
Does anyone remember 1995, playoffs were a pipe dream and we were just happy to have a calder winner let alone a hockey team. Now you're all spoiled little entitled peons.

1995 was 3 years post expansion. We were a team on the rise.

2018 is 2 years post-ECF. We are a team that's plummeting, and won't hit rock bottom until March when our two best players are no longer on the team.

Que

What?
Feb 12, 2017
Mind Prison

2018 is 2 years post-ECF. We are a team that's plummeting, and won't hit rock bottom until March when our two best players are no longer on the team.

Imo, rock bottom will come during the draft, when the Av’s select in the top 8 and TSN does a retrospective of what could have been.

solidprospect

Borveetzky
Sep 30, 2017
It's funny if you think this is year 1 of the rebuild.

The rebuild doesn't really start until Stone and Duchene are traded.

Next year will be year 1, and with the roster we'll have, we'll rival the early 90's Sens teams.

If it's not year 1 of a rebuild what year of a rebuild is it?

We're supposed to be terrible right now without Karlsson and Hoffman, but we were terrible with them too. I am not convinced Stone and Duchene are gone either. Their has been alot of assumptions made here over the last several ears that are simply not true.

solidprospect

Borveetzky
Sep 30, 2017
In 1995 alfie had 61 points, next closest was yashin with 39 points, or cunneyworth with 38 and somewhow we're going to be worse than that.

DaveMatthew

Bring in Peter
Apr 13, 2005
Ott
If it's not year 1 of a rebuild what year of a rebuild is it?

We're supposed to be terrible right now without Karlsson and Hoffman, but we were terrible with them too.

It's the last year of the tear-down.

We are terrible right now, without Karlsson and Hoffman, by all objective measures. By win%, we're the worst team in the East.

And yes, we were terrible last year too, and we'll be terrible again next year.

I'd guess that next year will be the worst of the three, though.

DaveMatthew

Bring in Peter
Apr 13, 2005
Ott
In 1995 alfie had 61 points, next closest was yashin with 39 points, or cunneyworth with 38 and somewhow we're going to be worse than that.

Well I mean, take away Duchene, Stone and Dzingel, and would you really be surprised?

Chabot probably still puts up 55+. Yashin had 39 in 46, so maybe Tkachuk scores at that clip, but who knows what his production would be like without Stone.

After that, who else is there? White? Pageau? Ryan?

solidprospect

Borveetzky
Sep 30, 2017
Well I mean, take away Duchene, Stone and Dzingel, and would you really be surprised?

Chabot probably still puts up 55+. Yashin had 39 in 46, so maybe Tkachuk scores at that clip, but who knows what his production would be like without Stone.

After that, who else is there? White? Pageau? Ryan?
Many players that will likely score more than 40 points.

DaveMatthew

Bring in Peter
Apr 13, 2005
Ott
Many players that will likely score more than 40 points.

Alright, sure. Don't you think it's sad that we're using an 18-59-5 season from 1995/96 as a benchmark of success, though?

Point is, next year, we're probably even worse than we are right now, barring the unexpected re-signing of Stone and Duchene. At least we'll be in the Lafreniere lottery though. If we get him, that's when the rebuild begins.

Reactions: solidprospect

solidprospect

Borveetzky
Sep 30, 2017
Alright, sure. Don't you think it's sad that we're using an 18-59-5 season from 1995/96 as a benchmark of success, though?

Point is, next year, we're probably even worse than we are right now, barring the unexpected re-signing of Stone and Duchene. At least we'll be in the Lafreniere lottery though. If we get him, that's when the rebuild begins.
Kind of. That's more or less what people probably expected or we're hoping for our record to be this year but we're actually only 3 games under .500. I compared us to the 1995 team before the season started and didn't think we would be that bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad