OVG's plans for FirstOntario Centre in Hamilton, Ontario could include an AHL team.

dj4aces

An Intricate Piece of Infinity
Dec 17, 2007
Duluth, GA
Then how come they had trouble filling a 5k seat barn?
While the city of Phoenix itself has a population of roughly 1.6 million, the population of the Phoenix metro area is closer to 4.8 million, making it the 10th most populous market in the US, and larger than every Canadian market except Toronto. Phoenix is not alone in this, as there are other metro areas with a low city population but a much larger metro population.

Another, more important thing to consider: Mullett only has a seating capacity of 4600 for NHL hockey (5000 is NCAA capacity), and possibly a little more if you factor in standing room capacity. They didn't have trouble filling it either, it was sold out consistently.

WeaponOfChoice

Jan 25, 2020
Because they were limited to just over 4700??
I'd say that's around 5k, no?

While the city of Phoenix itself has a population of roughly 1.6 million, the population of the Phoenix metro area is closer to 4.8 million, making it the 10th most populous market in the US, and larger than every Canadian market except Toronto. Phoenix is not alone in this, as there are other metro areas with a low city population but a much larger metro population.

Another, more important thing to consider: Mullett only has a seating capacity of 4600 for NHL hockey (5000 is NCAA capacity), and possibly a little more if you factor in standing room capacity. They didn't have trouble filling it either, it was sold out consistently.
At what prices? You'd have to sell out at about 400 bucks a pop to make it worth it.

aqib

Feb 13, 2012
Not exclusive to Hamilton but history shows that minor league teams don't draw better than CHL teams in the same market. The Bellville Senators don't draft better than the Bulls did before them. The Victoria WHL team draws better than the ECHL team that was there before.

barriers

Feb 10, 2020
Not exclusive to Hamilton but history shows that minor league teams don't draw better than CHL teams in the same market. The Bellville Senators don't draft better than the Bulls did before them. The Victoria WHL team draws better than the ECHL team that was there before.
I was going to dispute this mostly by my memories of the AHL Bulldogs drawing 15,000+ for their playoff games at their peak (2003 & 2006-08) while the OHL Bulldogs never got the crowd to justify opening the top bowl of Copps Coliseum when they were winning championships. However the regular season attendance average didn't quite have the difference I was expecting OHL Bulldogs averaged 4000ish while AHL Bulldogs closer to 4750

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad