Ovechkin to face suspension after crosschecking Oilers Vincent Desharnais in the face?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
So it should be alright for players to just crosscheck someone in the teeth after the whistle? There is a difference between pushing someone and delivering a full on cross check to the face! That line were clearly crossed in this instance.

A 2 minute minor for cross checking is for a hockey play if you trying to clear a forward in front of the goal and in that context use a cross check on the body of said player. Thats 2 minutes.

If you go to a player at the intermission and crosschecks directly them in the face, that should clearly be punished harder than an in game cross check to the body. It was at least a 5 minute major for cross checking + match penalty.

If you want to punch someone in the face, use your glove and not your stick as a weapon!

The defense of stick related violence is ramping up on the forum it seems!
don’t quote me please. Thanks.

• Haha
Reactions: thefutures

Dessloch

DOPS keeping NHL players unsafe like its their job
Nov 29, 2005
As a Crosby fan, you are throwing stones in a glass house.

Why? This thread is about Ovechkin as far as I can tell, and I have called out Crosby on some of his stupid dirty plays before! As long as I am not saying Crosby should be immune to punishment on similar plays I am not throwing stones in a glass house at all.

Some folks can actually call a spade a spade regardless if its one of your favorite players!

Last edited:

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Plus they have a game on Monday. If they were going to do something they'd have to give the team time to call up a player.
It's okay they punished the Capitals by not suspending Ovi as the Capitals PP is crap catering to the goals record chase.

Its not the first time Ovechkin is using his stick like a melee weapon, this is just a few instances, the dude clearly cant control himself or his stick when he is angry!

I always wonder if people who post like this have a file on their living rent free computer or if they take the time to compile these types of clips?

It's not like Ovi is the kind of player who lives on the edge like some of the less respectfully players in the league like Brad Marchand.

• Haha
Reactions: Dessloch

Dessloch

Nov 29, 2005
So it should be alright for players to just crosscheck someone in the teeth after the whistle? There is a difference between pushing someone and delivering a full on cross check to the face! That line were clearly crossed in this instance.

A 2 minute minor for cross checking is for a hockey play if you trying to clear a forward in front of the goal and in that context use a cross check on the body of said player. Thats 2 minutes.

If you go to a player at the intermission and crosschecks directly them in the face, that should clearly be punished harder than an in game cross check to the body. It was at least a 5 minute major for cross checking + match penalty.

If you want to punch someone in the face, use your glove and not your stick as a weapon!

The defense of stick related violence is ramping up on the forum it seems!
don’t quote me please. Thanks.

You are on a message board and dont want to debate the topics at hand, lol. Big "tough" guy just like your hero Trouba, eh?

There is no way to refute any of what I wrote, thats why you did not even try, hopefully this defending of violence goes karma on you.

Last edited:
Reactions: Moon Man

Dessloch

Nov 29, 2005
But have you all seen the other angle?

Well, in Ovechkins case dudes like egelband will defend reckless and dangerous blows to the face and head of players even if there is no other angle. Why? I really have no idea! If they want to watch blows to the head, there are other sports where its welcomed and legal! Hockey does not constitute free head shots at will.

theVladiator

May 26, 2018
Doesn't rise to suspension level IMO, game level discipline stuff (2 minutes high sticking if no blood, 4 minutes if blood drawn type of thing).

- missed hit bit is misleading. The two guys come together only after Desharnais shoves Ovechkin after the whistle.
- both players go for "I am not intimidated by you" stick shove. Not enough force to call these attempts crosschecking imo
- both players sticks jostle and rise up, with Ovechkin getting on top and through
- once Ovechkin's stick slips through above, and he sees head contact being made, he seems to be immediately remorseful. Head contact looks purely accidental.

From my point of view, not enough here for suspension/fine talk.

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
Well, in Ovechkins case dudes like egelband will defend reckless and dangerous blows to the face and head of players even if there is no other angle. Why? I really have no idea! If they want to watch blows to the head, there are other sports where its welcomed and legal! Hockey does not constitute free head shots at will.
Once there are more consistent and severe punishments for headshots, especially intentional or "accidentally on purpose", we'll just see more unnecessary and avoidable hits to the head - I think these are the most dangerous types of contact that needs to be addressed sooner.

Heck, dropping the gloves and punching someone in the face is 5 minutes for fighting. How can the league, with a straight face, argue that any other deliberate contact with the face and head doesn't warrant at least the same punishment?

PaulD

Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
Trouba a small fine 5k for two handed axe chop aimed and delivered to the head of Frederick.

fine no suspension lmao !!!

I think George Perros had one too many concussions himself

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
It happened to an Oiler. I saw the head shot live and knew the League would do nothing cause it happened to an Oiler.

• Wow

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad