Ovechkin - MacKinnon - Kucherov Or Kariya - Lindros - Jagr?

Better line?

• Total voters

geebster

Sponsor
Oct 26, 2019
The best all round player is Jagr among these 6. Kariya and Lindros both had their careers limited by injury, but prime versions of both and it'd basically be Lindros and Jagr playing a tough 2 man cycle and finding Kariya for snipes and tap ins. The other group has too many guys that need to hold the puck to be effective. They would 100% dominate though.

To me the 2nd line is better but this is a lot closer than the last one.

byrath

Jan 28, 2008
St. Louis, MO
IMO Ovie would thrive. None of those 80s/90s goons could skate with Ovie, and anyone who could skate with him is far smaller and less powerful. Ovie has also demonstrated excellent on-ice awareness. It's not uncommon that a player thinks they are going to hit him and they end up taking the worst of it.

Recall that the NHL suspended Ovie repeatedly for hits that, in the 90s, are not suspendable offenses.
People forget how big Ovi is, and his physical play is generally underappreciated because he's Russian/not North American. Imagine the Canadian media if a guy named say... Mac Leeny had Ovi's career.

Video Nasty

Mar 12, 2017
Assuming full health and peak powers, I don’t see how anyone is going against Kariya-Lindros-Jagr.

Lindros and Jagr are two of the top four players since Lemieux’s debut, a 40 year period. The opposing side does not have either of the other two players.

Thechozen1

Sep 8, 2021
I take MacKinnon over scrambled egg head Lindros and as much as I like Kariya, I take Ovi over him quite easily. Jagr is a tier above Kuch, but gap is closer than Ovi/Kariya. That’s 2/3 for the MacKinnon line.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
If we are talking at their very best, I'm not sure how it isn't the young guys.

Ovechkin is the best player on the list.

MacKinnon and Kucherov are both close to Jagr's best season and there is no argument for "Jagr played in the deadpuck era". Jags best season came in 96.

Lindros and Kariya aren't really close to Ovechkin, MacKinnon, and Kucherov even at their peak.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
Assuming full health and peak powers, I don’t see how anyone is going against Kariya-Lindros-Jagr.

Lindros and Jagr are two of the top four players since Lemieux’s debut, a 40 year period. The opposing side does not have either of the other two players.

Ovechkin at his peak was way more dangerous than Jagr at his peak as a Penguins fan.

Peak Lindros versus peak MacKinnon / Kucherov isn't really comparable. Lindros had one good season and it was because it was an expedited season.

Peak Kucherov is a 140+ forward who can put up 30+ pts in the playoffs.

Peak MacKinnon is a 140+ forward and arguably the best playoff performer we've seen in the cap era.

I don't really see the comparison at all unless you are a '90s guy being biased.

Video Nasty

Mar 12, 2017
Ovechkin at his peak was way more dangerous than Jagr at his peak as a Penguins fan.

Peak Lindros versus peak MacKinnon / Kucherov isn't really comparable. Lindros had one good season and it was because it was an expedited season.

Peak Kucherov is a 140+ forward who can put up 30+ pts in the playoffs.

Peak MacKinnon is a 140+ forward and arguably the best playoff performer we've seen in the cap era.

I don't really see the comparison at all unless you are a '90s guy being biased.

Thanks. I’ll use this later when writing something else about McDavid.

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005

I mean, all sorts of players could have been top 4 if you magically erase their flaws....

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
I simply think Lindros > MacKinnon, Jagr > Kucherov, Kariya < Ovechkin.
I mean... maybe? I'd put Lindros v MacKinnon at a wash at best as Nate gets a health boost too. Then if you go Jagr and Ov as a wash as well. You run into Kucherov v Kariya... and a healthy Kariya can certainly hold his own.

It's a devilish game of paper, rock, scissors to be sure.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
I mean... maybe? I'd put Lindros v MacKinnon at a wash at best as Nate gets a health boost too. Then if you go Jagr and Ov as a wash as well. You run into Kucherov v Kariya... and a healthy Kariya can certainly hold his own.

It's a devilish game of paper, rock, scissors to be sure.

Not sure how Kariya even compares to Kucherov tbh.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad