Ovechkin goes for his 4th MVP

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
His hart finishes - 2,6,8,11,11. From 2009-2015 he was in the discussion every year (except 2014 when he broke his leg). Had a down year in 2016. Still it kills me when some people are surprised he's playing this well..... anyone forget how good he was pre injuries? he just needed time off the fully heal, including the minor ones.

Yeah so my point stands, he was in the discussion one year. Do you consider 6 to 11 finishes a contender for the Hart?

SkinsFan09

Jun 10, 2009
Brooklyn
What's remarkable is he has scored 20% of the Capitals goals since he came into the league. More than any other player ever over a span as long. Also Ovechkin deserved the Hart in 2013 and Crosby got the Pearson like he deserved.

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
He's skating much better this season than I've seen in the past years. He's actually dynamic and shifty.

I don't know if it's effort and or training. But he looks much more mobile. I'm not a caps fan, but he does have a definite jump.

Breakfast of Champs

Apr 15, 2007
IF Ovi can score 50 goals, win the Rocket, put up 90ish points, and lead the Caps to one of the top 3 records in the East I think he will be right in the conversation.

Fatty McLardy

Oct 6, 2017
The voters are a bunch of pro Canadian fanboys.

I could care less though about awards, Ovechkin definitely has been dealt a bad hand with the teams he has played on. Yeah, they were good teams but he never was given the stacked teams that Crosby had on the Penguins.

Ya, he's been slumming it with consecutive presidents trophy winning teams.....bad hand bruh!!!! LOL

Son Goku

henlo u stinky egg
Mar 8, 2014
The World Of Void

I could care less though about awards, Ovechkin definitely has been dealt a bad hand with the teams he has played on. Yeah, they were good teams but he never was given the stacked teams that Crosby had on the Penguins.
Oh please, Ovechkin's team won the presidents trophy how many times?

Human

cynic
Jan 22, 2011
Bandwagon
Voters don't like him... view him as one dimensional, no heart, etc...
are you for real?

excuse me? check the last two playoffs, the Caps had the most stacked rosters in the league.

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
Leading the league in goals doesn't get you in the top 10 thus far???

I probably have Kucherov, Stamkos, Bobrovsky, Andersen, Wheeler or Scheifle, Schwartz (1st place teams, great numbers), Kopitar or Doughty, Tavares, Gaudreu and then perhaps Ovechkin.
Maybe I shouldn't have said "not even close". ;)

Last edited:

Weztex

Feb 6, 2006
ovechkin has won the hart trophy when he clearly did not deserve it yet there are still some who claim he is prejudiced against. preposterous.

While I think Crosby did deserve the Hart in 2012-13, I think Ovechkin was massively robbed of it in 2009-10 so it evens out. He was far and away the best player on the best regular season team. That suspension he got really rubbed some voters the wrong way.

KoozNetsOff 92

Hala Madrid
Apr 6, 2016
14/15: rocket, PPG, 6pts behind 1st = 2nd place hart

15/16: rocket, 0.90, 35pts behind 1st = 6th place hart

If he wins the rocket, is ~PPG and not too far from the ross winner then he's going to win the hart. Especially if the ross 1-2 are Kucherov/Stamkos, they will split votes and clear the path for Ovechkin.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
14/15: rocket, PPG, 6pts behind 1st = 2nd place hart

15/16: rocket, 0.90, 35pts behind 1st = 6th place hart

If he wins the rocket, is ~PPG and not too far from the ross winner then he's going to win the hart. Especially if the ross 1-2 are Kucherov/Stamkos, they will split votes and clear the path for Ovechkin.

Let's be real, the Art Ross winner will be above 100 points this year and Ovechkin at PPG wouldn't have a good argument. He doesn't drive the play anymore despite putting up decent point totals, he likely won't even be the highest point scorer on his team at seasons end. Another rocket adds well to his legacy but he won't be contending for the MVP anymore.

If Gaudreau leads the flames into the playoffs at his scoring rate he has a much better argument than Ovechkin, then there's Kucherov, McDavid who's heating up.

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
Let's be real, the Art Ross winner will be above 100 points this year and Ovechkin at PPG wouldn't have a good argument. He doesn't drive the play anymore despite putting up decent point totals, he likely won't even be the highest point scorer on his team at seasons end. Another rocket adds well to his legacy but he won't be contending for the MVP anymore.

If Gaudreau leads the flames into the playoffs at his scoring rate he has a much better argument than Ovechkin, then there's Kucherov, McDavid who's heating up.

I am not disagreeing with the rest of the post but if you think Ovechkin doesn't "drive the play" you are not watching Caps games this season. Some nights he is the only player on the team driving play.

Reactions: ovikovy817

canuck2010

Dec 21, 2010
There is already one trophy for the league's leading scorer. Why does the MVP award necessarily have anything to do with points.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad