Ovechkin goes for his 4th MVP

deckercky

Oct 27, 2010
I have watched them and I have seen plenty from Ovechkin that shows him as part of the problem. Just like any player he is not the sole problem but his inability to play even passable defense or understand how to make little plays helps his team consistently come up short.

But he sure is good at running around and throwing "big hits" that look and sound good while the opposition easily moves the puck into the wide open space his just left open by running across the ice.

From time to time, sure, but the positive and negative impact of those big hits is shown in RelCF%/RelxGF%, which, as The Torts Identity posted above, are both near the top of the league throughout OV's time in the league.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Hart Trophy is nothing but hot stove conversation until the 4th quarter of the season. At this point there too many players to mention that have a reasonable chance at the award. Could Ov win it? Sure but we cant even talk about the scenarios til 60 games have been played

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
The poster I responded to said the Caps are a stacked team and Ovechkin's contribution was perhaps overrated. I was refuting that by saying he scores a huge amount of their goals and their regular season success can be attributed to him. There is no way to replace what he does.

As good as Backstrom is the Caps have no "Malkin" to Ovechkin's "Crosby". In '10-'11 no Crosby for half of the season, Pens have 106 points. In '11-'12 the Pens had 108 points without Crosby, Malkin wins all the awards.

If Ovechkin isn't a Capital but everything else stays the same, most seasons they are not a playoff team. Last season, and maybe 2010, might be the only ones I can honestly say they still make the playoffs.

Baloney.

Backstrom may not be Malkin but he is not far off. He has multiple top 10, some top 5 and is pretty much top 20 at least every year. Less than haflf the league have a player as good as him. He would be fine as a top player on a play-off. Add in guys like Kuznetsov, Oshie, Burakowsky, Johanssen up front and Carlson, Alzner, Orpik, Nisakanen, Orlov on defesnse and that team has more than enough to easily make the play-offs every year with or without Oveckhin.

And considering they have had perrinial Vezina candidate Holtby for the past 5 years and decent goaltending before him they would be more than fine to make it into the play-offs.

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
Have you watched playoff Capitals before?

Ovechkin is most often not the problem. Normally some big name like Backstrom or Kuznetsov decide not to show up and then the team crumbles. Or those secondary players you talk about go entire series without points. Ovechkin is the same as he always is in the playoffs. A scorer. Who scores.

It's the team and the system that continually fails the Capitals. That and they have to keep playing the Penguins when they have cup caliber teams.
I have watched almost every Caps playoff game in their history. I have never missed a playoff game in the Ovi era. I have to say that sometimes Ovi does become a problem. More so earlier in his career.

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
Baloney.

Backstrom may not be Malkin but he is not far off. He has multiple top 10, some top 5 and is pretty much top 20 at least every year. Less than haflf the league have a player as good as him. He would be fine as a top player on a play-off. Add in guys like Kuznetsov, Oshie, Burakowsky, Johanssen up front and Carlson, Alzner, Orpik, Nisakanen, Orlov on defesnse and that team has more than enough to easily make the play-offs every year with or without Oveckhin.

And considering they have had perrinial Vezina candidate Holtby for the past 5 years and decent goaltending before him they would be more than fine to make it into the play-offs.

Malkin is the third best player of his generation, third best.

And of the players you listed above most have been with the Caps for two full seasons. I also said they would have made the playoffs last season without Ovechkin.

end

Mar 18, 2007
Arklay Mansion
If he beats Kucherov for the Richard, then I'd say he has a decent shot at the Hart. If Kucherov wins the Richard, I'd say Ovie has no chance at the Hart.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad