Out of Town (where games matter)

Status
Not open for further replies.

EdAVSfan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2009
That's because they only gave permission for Dubas to participate in analytics development with them, not for him to be talked to as a coach for Colorado.

No doubt, the avs goal was to bring him in, acclimate himself, and then likely take over th GM spot when Sakic becomes president.

I’m assuming you meant GM and not coach.

Either way, what’s the difference to Toronto what the Avs end up doing with him? They gave permission because they were clearly willing to let him go. What difference is the role to them?

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
No doubt, the avs goal was to bring him in, acclimate himself, and then likely take over th GM spot when Sakic becomes president.

Either way, what’s the difference to Toronto what the Avs end up doing with him? They gave permission because they were clearly willing to let him go. What difference is the role to them?

Possibly because the bolded appears to be Toronto's plan for Dubas? Its one thing to give a shot to a guy for a promotion with another team. That happens all the time in the NHL.

But rumblings out of Toronto forever was that Dubas is the heir apparent there. Considering the fact that Lou's contract is expiring this year and there are rumours Dubas will be the next GM with the Leafs, I don't think Toronto was willing to give Dubas up unless it was an immediate promotion.

It could also be an internal struggle with the Leafs, where one guy gave permission and then a higher-up revoked it.

EdAVSfan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2009
Possibly because the bolded appears to be Toronto's plan for Dubas? Its one thing to give a shot to a guy for a promotion with another team. That happens all the time in the NHL.

But rumblings out of Toronto forever was that Dubas is the heir apparent there. Considering the fact that Lou's contract is expiring this year and there are rumours Dubas will be the next GM with the Leafs, I don't think Toronto was willing to give Dubas up unless it was an immediate promotion.

It could also be an internal struggle with the Leafs, where one guy gave permission and then a higher-up revoked it.

Yes, I believe Toronto also has that kind of plan for Dubas as well sometime down the line.
But that’s what makes it more perplexing.

Why even bother giving permission to start with, and then removing that permission a few days later?

If you don’t want to lose the kid, you don’t allow permission in the first place.

And you’re just trying to be fair to the kid and saying, “ we won’t hold you back if another team wants you,” then you can’t turn around and take it away.

Just a weird scenario all around.

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
Yes, I believe Toronto also has that kind of plan for Dubas as well sometime down the line.
But that’s what makes it more perplexing.

Why even bother giving permission to start with, and then removing that permission a few days later?

If you don’t want to lose the kid, you don’t allow permission in the first place.

And you’re just trying to be fair to the kid and saying, “ we won’t hold you back if another team wants you,” then you can’t turn around and take it away.

Just a weird scenario all around.

Not down the line. It sounds like it may happen this offseason.

And I suspect that its a little of not allowing Dubas to take a lateral position and a little of who initially gave permission was countermanded by someone higher up.

EdAVSfan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2009
Not down the line. It sounds like it may happen this offseason.

And I suspect that its a little of not allowing Dubas to take a lateral position and a little of who initially gave permission was countermanded by someone higher up.
Yeah definitely possible.

Would love to get the real back story.

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
Pavelski is still a very good player but not what he used to be.

Couture - agreed, core player
Thornton - come on...core?
Hertl - his career high is 21 goal and 46pts...meh
Kane is a recently acquired UFA-to-be, hardly a core player
Thorton wont be core for long, but even as he is he was on pace for 70 point season before he was injured.

Thats would be a modern day record in Montreal would it not?

and the point of my post was comparing the habs and sharks for a Tavares destination.

The poster i was responding to laughed at my guess that JT would go to the sharks while stroking Montreal as a great choice for the islander FA.

But i agree with most of your take on shark players i mentioned.

Notice you left Burns , Vlasic, and Jones out though.

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
I never “ripped” SJ so I’m sorry if I hurt your feelings. All I said was that SJ isn’t this bastion of incredibleness. Thornton is about to retire and he’s arguably their best player. Burns is older than Weber is and we all know how much we hear about his window. Price is superior than Jones and SJs prospect pool isn’t the greatest either to replenish an aging core. Not to mention Tavares would take home less money and play in another non hockey market which apparently is something he wants to get away from and play in a more traditional hockey environment.
lol. You lost me at Thorton is their best player. Still living in 2010 are ya?

Burns and Couture are their best players.

2 years ago Couture won the play off scoring race.

Who do the habs have ? Drouin...Gallagher :laugh:

San Jose is no Tbay or Nasville everyone knows that. ........ but they make the habs look like an AHL team. Actually the habs make the habs look like an AHL team.

I picked Sharks as a guess for JT. (after him staying with New York) So what.
Atleast Im not trying to sell that the habs are a better choice with a better future. They are the joke of the league.

Montreal..... "traditional hockey market" Yea that'll get him here. :snide:

Last edited:

MasterMatt25

Nov 19, 2014
Montreal
lol. You lost me at Thorton is their best player. Still living in 0010 are ya

San Jose is no Tbay ........ but they make the habs look like an AHL team.
Right now yes, in 1-3 years? Habs have the edge. Our team is younger and we have good prospects and lots of draft picks on the way

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
Right now yes, in 1-3 years? Habs have the edge. Our team is younger and we have good prospects and lots of draft picks on the way
been hearing that for 15 years. So has Tavares about his own team.

Dream on. Montreal get the washed up cast offs, problem players, and guys with one foot in retirement.

Name the last big FA to sign in Montreal?

Last edited:
Reactions: The Gr8 Dane

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Thorton wont be core for long, but even as he is he was on pace for 70 point season before he was injured.

Thats would be a modern day record in Montreal would it not?

and the point of my post was comparing the habs and sharks for a Tavares destination.

The poster i was responding to laughed at my guess that JT would go to the sharks while stroking Montreal as a great choice for the islander FA.

But i agree with most of your take on shark players i mentioned.

Notice you left Burns , Vlasic, and Jones out though.
Like Couture...it's understood they are core players moving forward, didn't think I needed to point that out, only reason why I didn't put them.

Personally...if JT wants to play in California, there are few places better than San Jose (so i've heard)...but team wise, I don't think the Sharks are better positioned then the Habs to be honest. They seem to be a team as much at a crossroads as the Habs are.

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
Like Couture...it's understood they are core players moving forward, didn't think I needed to point that out, only reason why I didn't put them.

Personally...if JT wants to play in California, there are few places better than San Jose (so i've heard)...but team wise, I don't think the Sharks are better positioned then the Habs to be honest. They seem to be a team as much at a crossroads as the Habs are.
I hope not. Because if the habs are sharks are equal. MBs is about to get another extension.

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas

Yes there are a few. Nashville would be better too. Pittsburg. Boston. Hows that.

But I made a guess as to where he would end up. You can list yours reasone why he wont

I can double it with reasons why he wont sign in Montreal.

Cool.

Obviously on odds alone it will be one of the other 29 teams.

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
lol. You lost me at Thorton is their best player. Still living in 2010 are ya?

San Jose is no Tbay or Nasville everyone knows that. ........ but they make the habs look like an AHL team. Actually the habs make the habs look like an AHL team.

I picked Sharks as a guess for JT. (after him staying with New York) So what.
Atleast Im not trying to sell that the habs are a better choice with a better future. They are the joke of the league.

Montreal..... "traditional hockey market" Yea that'll get him here. :snide:

Drouin, Gally, Chucky, Patches, Weber, Price. But I guess to you these guys don’t count next to the greatness of Hertl.

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
Drouin, Gally, Chucky, Patches, Weber, Price. But I guess to you these guys don’t count next to the greatness of Hertl.
Couture, Pavelski, Burns, Jones, Kane, Thorton, Vlasic ................but i guess these guess to you dont stack up with Drouin the flop.

Lol Thortons season was done over a month ago and he STILL is out scoring Drouin.

Thats Joe with one foot in retirement. :laugh:

But there is a chance if Drouin can keep up his torrid pace he might catch the sidelined old man. Maybe.

Last edited:
Reactions: The Gr8 Dane

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
Couture, Pavelski, Burns, Jones, Kane, Thorton, Vlasic ................but i guess these guess to you dont stack up with Drouin the flop.

Lol Thortons season was done over a month ago and he STILL is out scoring Drouin.

But there is a chance if Drouin can keep up his torrid pace he might catch the sidelined old man. Maybe.

Yet they’re still barely in the playoffs while we finished first last year. But yeah, we’re the worst team in the NHL. Cool.

Reactions: Hot Dog Water Shaw

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
Yet they’re still barely in the playoffs while we finished first last year. But yeah, we’re the worst team in the NHL. Cool.
I like how you compare the Habs to a team that went to the SCF not long ago and is still battling for the PO...

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
I like how you compare the Habs to a team that went to the SCF not long ago and is still battling for the PO...

We went to the ECF not to long ago and finished first last year with mostly the same team intact. Take away Price and Weber and yes, we suck. That’s the case with most teams losing their best two players.

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
We went to the ECF not to long ago and finished first last year with mostly the same team intact. Take away Price and Weber and yes, we suck. That’s the case with most teams losing their best two players.
ECF in 014. lol

Habs sucked with Price and Weber this year.

Here we go. Stanley Cup parade had Price not got injured 2 weeks ago.

Habs have won 1 round in the last 4 years. Are you seriously going to blame that on injuries?

Sounds like an MB Presser.

BTW what was their record with Price and Weber in line up this year?

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
ECF in 014. lol

Habs sucked with Price and Weber this year.

Here we go. Stanley Cup parade had Price not got injured 2 weeks ago.

Habs have won 1 round in the last 4 years. Are you seriously going to blame that on injuries? eh Marc?

They didn’t have Price and Weber this year. I’m blaming it on having no centre. Add a no. 1 centre and a top 4 PMD and I think we’re right back on top with this team.

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
actually they have not been to SCF in 25 years. And they are not battling for play offs. Have not been all season.

But i get your meaning

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans

The Sharks are the Kings at flopping :biglaugh:

RealityBytes

Trash Remover
Feb 11, 2013

No, it was permission to work with analytics only for analytics improvement, not for letting the Avs acclimatizing him for a new job. Once it became more, Toronto pulled him back. Toronto was keeping Dubas and had no intention of giving him up.

Last edited:

Roke

Jul 21, 2003
Winnipeg
The Vegas Void: Have the Golden Knights shamed the whole world of hockey?

With the “Vegas Flu” narrative fading in significance, the Knights’ challenge to received NHL wisdom cannot help making one queasy with excitement and uncertainty. What if NHL teams have no real excuse for consecutive years of struggle, ever? What if the league as a whole is, in fact, just dumb and unimaginative — a cartel of dolts being shamed before our eyes?

All NHL GMs are bad, the "good" ones just got lucky.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad