HF Habs: Out of Town Thread: 2024 Playoff Edition

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
A potential star talent at forward is quite literally the biggest need this team has had in three decades. What is Engels smoking ? If Michkov is significantly better than Reinbacher, questions will need to be answered by management.
Lol the fact that this came back to slap him in his face is just beautiful. Engels is a massive clown. Let's not forget that the guy was praising management for bringing Lecavalier into the organization as per our wishes. The only thing he failed to mention was that we wanted him as a player during his prime. I don't think anyone was celebrating that we got him as an advisor who lives in Boca Raton drinking margaritas all day at his beach house.

McGees

Jun 15, 2016
The inability to control development and uncertainty on when and if he'd come over was absolutely said here many times.

But based off of what? Making such claims means that you would have to watch and know the player pretty well, but people were also saying management couldn't properly watch games of him. So not sure how an HF poster would have access to evaluate Michkov through watching and making such claims when they acknowledge that management couldn't.

Does he have to be another Bedard for this to happen, or is a 70-80 point winger good enough to acknowledge this? Assuming of course that Bedard is a 100 point forward which I think we all can agree he can and likely will become.
- “Well this is wrong, this was definitely a concern that many so-called experts here brought up.”
Exactly. Here. Not the Habs. Just like your other arguments, Basu and Godin and other Habs pundits gave insight to real reason they didn’t want to pick him, and it wan't a Russian thing since they are high on Demidov.

- Yes the controlling development I'm sure was part of it too.

- I don't think you can knock a top pair 20+ D vs a 70 point winger if that is what they both become.

Apoplectic Habs Fan

Aug 17, 2002
I still favor Nucks in a game 7 for the simple fact i dont think Skinner can steal the game and is much more likely just to implode, giving it away.

Just dont have faith he can handle the pressure in another building, a building he has shat the bed his entire career in

We will see. No matter what, McDrai will need another superhuman performance as it seems few others have been unsung heros

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
I still favor Nucks in a game 7 for the simple fact i dont think Skinner can steal the game and is much more likely just to implode, giving it away.

Just dont have faith he can handle the pressure in another building, a building he has shat the bed his entire career in

We will see. No matter what, McDrai will need another superhuman performance as it seems few others have been unsung heros
I have the same take, Skinner will fold like a cheap tent, not sure what Oilers management thought when deciding to ride Skinner and not addressing the goalie issues.

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
But based off of what? Making such claims means that you would have to watch and know the player pretty well, but people were also saying management couldn't properly watch games of him. So not sure how an HF poster would have access to evaluate Michkov through watching and making such claims when they acknowledge that management couldn't.
Arpon Basu stated in his article Habs are high on Demidov because of his high end skill + work ethic + complete game - the latter being a major issue for why the org soured on Michkov

Though the Canadiens were not high on Matvei Michkov last year, there is a sense that their opinion of Demidov is quite different.

The Canadiens view Demidov as a far more complete player.

Last edited:

Gravity

Generational Poster
Feb 27, 2017
In a Barred Spiral
I really think they tried to big brain the Reinbacher pick. I wish Reinbacher the very best for him and the team but starting next season this won't be a remotely fair comparison imo.

Apron Basu stated in his article Habs are high on Demidov because of his high end skill + work ethic + all around game - the latter being a major issue for why the org soured on Michkov
Well it'll be rich when the miss out on Demidov and Michkov.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
I really think they tried to big brain the Reinbacher pick. I wish Reinbacher the very best for him and the team but starting next season this won't be a remotely fair comparison imo.

It will be what it will be.

EveryDay

Jun 13, 2009

Let's wait a little bit more before proclaiming a winner here. Reinbacher have the potential to become a top pairing right handed defenceman for this team.

ReHabs

Jan 18, 2022
A potential star talent at forward is quite literally the biggest need this team has had in three decades. What is Engels smoking ? If Michkov is significantly better than Reinbacher, questions will need to be answered by management.
What do you expect to be asked… or answered? Teams whiff on the draft all the time. Our team whiffed at the draft table a lot during Bergevin’s tenure.

They’ll be given five year bumper extensions by Molson before you know it.

River Meadow

Mar 29, 2016
Kent Hughes and Jeff Horton are sh*tt*ng literal bricks upon hearing the news of Michkov in NHL potentially next season.

If he does well, it'll be bad.

If he does really well, it'll be really bad.

If he does really well, and Reinbacher is still in the AHL looking just okay, it'll be a nightmare.

ReHabs

Jan 18, 2022
Kent Hughes and Jeff Horton are sh*tt*ng literal bricks upon hearing the news of Michkov in NHL potentially next season.

If he does really well, and Reinbacher is still in the AHL looking just okay, it'll be a nightmare.
They likely knew the 3-year contract thing was nonsense. So it's not that.

They didn't want to pick Michkov because he failed some of their internal standards -- likely about playing hard or hating to lose or whatever -- and let's be honest they were in love with Reinbacher. Michkov's success will only be bad for the Habs if Reinbacher doesn't succeed at all. Otherwise, it isn't a sprint and there is plenty of time for this whole ordeal to feel especially miserable for us long-suffering fans. It was too much to want an offensive star, after all.

A special shoutout to HFBoards' foreign policy experts though -- almost seems like they were not just a bit wrong but 100% irrefutably wrong.

Schooner Guy

Jun 23, 2006
Briere and Jonesy have had several missteps since they took over the keys to the Flyers kingdom.

-- They leaked out trades last summer before they happened. One was blocked by Torey Krug and it became known that Sanheim was part of the deal.
-- They totally butchered the Cutter Gauthier contract negotiations and he then wanted nothing to do with the organization and forced a trade where Philly took less back on the dollar. I can't remember in my lifetime an occasion where an American born player wanted out of the Flyers organization.
-- They were in a playoff spot all season and then collapsed at the end (lost two late season games to the Habs in regulation time) leaving them in no man's land with no playoff revenue and no chance to win the draft lottery.
-- I'm willing to bet Washington hockey ops were doing fist pumps underneath the draft table when Philly left Ryan Leonard there for them.
-- There was also a lot of scuttlebutt from a Flyers reporter that the Flyers tried to trade Gauthier to the Habs for the #5 pick so they could select Reinbacher. Not sure if this rumour/report is true but a lot of info has leaked from that organization under the Briere/Jonesy regime.

HugGo haven't done anything to not be given the benefit of the doubt over current Flyers regime.

Last edited:

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Briere and Jonesy have had several missteps since they took over the keys to the Flyers kingdom.

-- They leaked out trades last summer before they happened. One was blocked by Torey Krug and it became known that Sanheim was part of the deal.
-- They totally butchered the Cutter Gauthier contract negotiations and he then wanted nothing to do with the organization and forced a trade where Philly took less back on the dollar. I can't remember in my lifetime an occasion where an American born player wanted out of the Flyers organization.
-- They were in a playoff spot all season and then collapsed at the end (lost two late season games to the Habs in regulation time) leaving them in no man's land with no playoff revenue and no chance to win the draft lottery.
-- I'm willing to bet Washington hockey ops were doing fist pumps underneath the draft table when Philly left Ryan Leonard there for them.
-- There was also a lot of scuttlebutt from a Flyers reporter that the Flyers tried to trade Gauthier to the Habs for the #5 pick so they could select Reinbacher. Not sure if this rumour/report is true but a lot of info has leaked from that organization under the Briere/Jonesy regime.

HugGo haven't done anything to not be given the benefit of the doubt over current Flyers regime.

Yep and the contract thing on Michkov was just the PR way of going about leaking why they didn't go in that direction because they knew the noise around him in the fan base.

They're not going to be 'shitting bricks' about this news. They passed on Matvei Michkov the hockey player and how he fits into their build. They didn't pass on him because of the contract.

If you followed the discourse around the non selection after the draft, you can see the contract was never their issue, it was all about the player, the man and the fit.

They made their selection based on Reinbacher being the highest value to their team in the pursuit of the cup. If Michkov had 1 year or no years left on his KHL contract at the draft, people need to understand that they still weren't going to be picking him.

Gorton made sure they didn't want to revisit it but that room from the draft video was emphatic that Michkov wasn't the offensive talent at such a premium level they could ignore everything else. Why do people not understand when they talked about Reinbacher being a part of the culture they are building, that they were also letting people know that Michkov wouldn't be a culture fit.

It's funny that when discussing Michkov up to the draft and trying to tell people based on all the noise around the Habs organization to say they wouldn't pick him, those people who wanted Michkov desperately kept coping and saying it was a smokescreen and that if anyone knew the most about Michkov it'd be Bobrov because of his dad's affiliation with the organization. Yet, when the character concerns come up and the Habs allude to it, it's fabricated and character assassination.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
No, they're not

Another thing that Michkovians don't seem to grasp.

Ok you're CSKA and you are, for a second consecutive year, lending Michkov out to play for ANOTHER team in the KHL.

Now you can say whatever you want about that, but he did produce in Sochi.. so why, when they have LEGAL control over Michkov for 2 more years, and what he did in Sochi, that they'd willingly let Michkov leave with 2 years left on his contract to go to NA?

Why is his franchise loaning him out 2 years in a row and with 2 years left, letting him go play elsewhere with no transfer agreement in place? It's Russian clubs, it's Russia.. there's really no reason for them to do unless there's something else at play there.

vokiel

#MolsonIsntWine
Jan 31, 2007
Montréal

Nah their boss is an aristocrat. He's not going to do anything, until they've been messing up for a full decade.

• Haha
Reactions: River Meadow

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad