HF Habs: Out Of Town Thread: 2024 Off-Season edition

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

OldCraig71

Juice Arse
Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
Should listen to latest Spittin Chicklets, boys don’t think very highly of Mitchkov’s skating and overall ability to play the game of hockey other than All Star game skills competition - Verbeek also explains what he looks for in a hockey player & why Sennecke fits that mold.

Torts isn’t getting fired because Mitchkov only knows how to play in one zone - from offensive blue line in. Briere / Philly org know it hence why Danny boy stated it publicly
The Habs weren't the only ones to pass on MM but for him, it isn't ideal to end up with Torts as his head coach. If the kid has attitude issues it might be a tough go playing for Torts. I like what I hear about JT away from hockey but his interactions with the media and fights with players on his roster are getting old. Mike Keenan was similar and in today's NHL, this approach won't go over as well as it did 30 years ago. As for the spittin chicklets guys, they are hit and miss with inside info and they are more entertainment than substance.

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
Pro sports in the US, is no longer about the actual product or people showing up to the game as much as it is about the ancillary benefits that can be packaged. TBAY wasn’t about winning 2-Cups it was Vinik developing riverfront property in & around the arena, now that it’s been developed and pumping out lots of $, he’s selling the team.

Such lucrative business proposition is non existent in Quebec City, but CAN happen in downtown Phoenix with the right owner… like Utah has or Houston & Atlanta are about to get.

But what does that bring to the NHL. It's great for the owner but there's no more money being brought in the NHL. It's insane how people underrate Quebec. And how much money would be spent to the NHL if the Nords would come back and the surge of hockey players that would come from this province if they returned. If only cause of the rivalry with the Habs.

Also what you are explaing reminds me so much of the WWE. Where now the stars and product does not matter, it's everything around it that matters and yes they are making money. But the interest and passion for the product is so more lower than it was in the 90s. They are fine with that but don't realise that if the product was great and were aiming for passionate fans that they would generate double the profit.

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
There's a middle ground in between the two extremes you presented (through JY's post).

On the one hand, there's really no hockey market left to develop in Canada outside areas that are already greatly exploited. Short of having a team sharing either Mtl, Tor or Van's territory, there's really no place with the proper demography and financial pedigree needed for a succesful venture. Among the few options left in occupied territories, QC isn't the best option either.

On the other hand, the league's obsession with infinite growth will end-up watering down the product, on top of taking legacy fans for granted, which will probably one day lead to decline.

This is something I will always disagree with. There is PLENTY of growth to be found in Canada. For example, kids in Canada are not playing hockey anymore. A good way to fix that problem would be to bring in more teams in Canada. Some fear that another team in Toronto would split their fanbase but we are talking about MANY fans that are in a waiting list and cannot even go to Leafs game. Here you would have another filled building and much more things that can happen around it. A lot of money in that city. Hell I would put a team in London as well.

overlords

#DefundCBC
Aug 16, 2008
The City
Michkov's hockey IQ is a treat to watch

south-park-so-small.gif

Grate n Colorful Oz

Dans ze mix
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
Mike found a way to game the system without looking like a bad guy to the masses. 😆

Translation; *No need to raise prices I will make bank off the prime parliament hill real estate, steaming/tv revenue sharing and expansion $ will keep the team afloat*

Context; the 3 worst money generators in '23

CBJ 151M
OTT 128M
AZ 120M

Talk is cheap though.

Reactions: Team_Spirit

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
But what does that bring to the NHL. It's great for the owner but there's no more money being brought in the NHL. It's insane how people underrate Quebec. And how much money would be spent to the NHL if the Nords would come back and the surge of hockey players that would come from this province if they returned. If only cause of the rivalry with the Habs.

Also what you are explaing reminds me so much of the WWE. Where now the stars and product does not matter, it's everything around it that matters and yes they are making money. But the interest and passion for the product is so more lower than it was in the 90s. They are fine with that but don't realise that if the product was great and were aiming for passionate fans that they would generate double the profit.
Driving up franchise valuations - how much did VGK pay for an expansion franchise, then how much more did Seattle pay, then how much more will Houston & Atlanta pay? Look what Sens sold for …

Owners want to see their franchise valuations skyrocket, that’s all that matters - and Bettman’s #1 priority is to best position teams from maximizing valuations

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
This is something I will always disagree with. There is PLENTY of growth to be found in Canada. For example, kids in Canada are not playing hockey anymore. A good way to fix that problem would be to bring in more teams in Canada. Some fear that another team in Toronto would split their fanbase but we are talking about MANY fans that are in a waiting list and cannot even go to Leafs game. Here you would have another filled building and much more things that can happen around it. A lot of money in that city. Hell I would put a team in London as well.
You miss a simple point US has 10x Canada’s population - only need 5-6% casual interest which equates to 2/3 of Canada’s population. Now if you can increase that to 10%, that’s larger than the entire Canadian population

Pure numbers game..

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
You're living in a Dreamworld just like Bettman. The potential growth in Phoenix will never ever materializes. In sport, interest has always trumped population. The NHL is run by science-fiction/fantasy writers who imagine a potential hockey market in places where there is no logic to be. The reason why UFC has grown so much is that they stick to the facts. They go where the biggest interest to their product is! You love UFC? OMG we are gonna give it to you over and over until it becomes your Church! NHL: You love our product? f*** You! We're gonna try to seduce a land of zombies and someday they might show a pulse of interest. Cause there are many zombies, you see.

I'm posting the reality of the situation, which is the polar opposite of a dream world.

The ufc comparison is also kind of confusing. Are there some marquee events held in some small village in Dagestan where they love mma?

I'm not really an mma fan, but I'd venture to guess most ufc events of relevance have been held in the cash cow of Las Vegas.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad