HF Habs: Out Of Town Thread: 2024 Off-Season edition

Kents polished head

Formerly Tough Au Lit
Feb 4, 2013
Jeff Skinner being bought out is kind of weird.

It's not like the guy is a complete liability (one year removed from a career year and still 24 goals last season). And it's not like Buffalo is on the cusp of cup contention.

That's odd. I know when he was traded from Carolina he was adament on staying south of the border though, so it's not like he's going to be an option for us.

Still, there's a market for a guy like this.

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto

It's not like the guy is a complete liability (one year removed from a career year and still 24 goals last season). And it's not like Buffalo is on the cusp of cup contention.

That's odd. I know when he was traded from Carolina he was adament on staying south of the border though, so it's not like he's going to be an option for us.

He's a no defense player. Not bad defensively, he doesn't play defensively at all. He's lost his top 6 spot on Buffalo's team, and isn't a bottom 6 player.

Rumors seem to be Toronto since he's from there.

Kents polished head

Formerly Tough Au Lit
Feb 4, 2013
He's a no defense player. Not bad defensively, he doesn't play defensively at all. He's lost his top 6 spot on Buffalo's team, and isn't a bottom 6 player.

Rumors seem to be Toronto since he's from there.

Still scored 35 and 33 goals a couple of seasons ago. Buying out a 9M a year contract does not come without financial consequences neither.

Last time we had a player who had 35 goals and 80 points is 16 years ago.

This is a weird decision from a team who could just have rode it out.

Reactions: Tyson

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas

Jeff Skinner drafted 16 years ago and has never played a play off game.

ReHabs

Jan 18, 2022
I would draft a skill prospect like Skinner in a heartbeat but the grown adult NHL player is the opposite of a playoff player and at this point BUF needs a change of culture. They couldn't find a buyer or taker of that 9m cap hit. Surprised Utah didn't want him though.

The Real Timo

Jun 18, 2019

Yeah, like Mtl. I would rather Skinner than Donkey, Dvorak, Gallagher, Evans or any of the useless no names playing on the 4th line. Habs have the cap. Do it!

Reactions: the

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
I would draft a skill prospect like Skinner in a heartbeat but the grown adult NHL player is the opposite of a playoff player and at this point BUF needs a change of culture. They couldn't find a buyer or taker of that 9m cap hit. Surprised Utah didn't want him though.

I think this touches a bit on an important point.

A young skinner is a cost controlled skinner whereas a seasoned skinner is not. The seasoned skinner has the extra wrinkle to consider of what the opportunity cost is to acquire him. In other words, what opportunities are the Habs forgoing in order to sign seasoned skinner.

I don't think the Habs are in a spot right now where they need to spend whatever opportunity cost it takes on a player like skinner, regardless.

It's really similar reasoning on why I'm not too keen on going in for Laine. I'd rather maintain (and strengthen) the cap flexibility and put yourself in a better position to pounce on a better opportunity, whether that's something imminent or more likely something further down the road.

Shred

Nov 1, 2005
Matt Roy getting a 6 million $ average on his contract.

Matheson keeps getting more valuable as the days go by.
I always appreciate when posters relay the full info on breaking news. Like who is he playing for, what is the length of the contract, etc. I don’t mean to single you out, many of the recent posts on less mainstream trades or signings were more like reaction posts with partial info, which is annoying when I have no idea what they are reacting to exactly and the info is not easy to find due to the player being marginal.

Reactions: Gustave

Shred

Nov 1, 2005
I think this touches a bit on an important point.

A young skinner is a cost controlled skinner whereas a seasoned skinner is not. The seasoned skinner has the extra wrinkle to consider of what the opportunity cost is to acquire him. In other words, what opportunities are the Habs forgoing in order to sign seasoned skinner.

I don't think the Habs are in a spot right now where they need to spend whatever opportunity cost it takes on a player like skinner, regardless.

It's really similar reasoning on why I'm not too keen on going in for Laine. I'd rather maintain (and strengthen) the cap flexibility and put yourself in a better position to pounce on a better opportunity, whether that's something imminent or more likely something further down the road.
Laine can still develop many aspects of his game and has 50 goals, PPG as realistic outcomes in the near future. Only question marks are how interested he is to grow his game and be a hockey player and whether his off-ice issues are solvable. His contract is short in any case, which makes him ideal for Habs who aren’t contending now.
Skinner is a known quantity and declining as we speak. No interest at all there though he is the type of Hoffman-like player tanking teams like showcasing on their first line as he will pick up points while ensuring their team never wins.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
Laine can still develop many aspects of his game and has 50 goals, PPG as realistic outcomes in the near future. Only question marks are how interested he is to grow his game and be a hockey player and whether his off-ice issues are solvable. His contract is short in any case, which makes him ideal for Habs who aren’t contending now.
Skinner is a known quantity and declining as we speak. No interest at all there though he is the type of Hoffman-like player tanking teams like showcasing on their first line as he will pick up points while ensuring their team never wins.

Laine's short term is the best thing about his deal, but I'm not enamored enough with the player that I'll risk the ability to pounce on a better opportunity in that time frame with far less resources.

Perhaps if the Habs were in a different stage where a revamped Laine would put them in serious contention in the next 2 years, I'd change my tune, but I think the wise move is to be patient. I don't doubt that the club could use a top 6 guy, but I'd be more inclined to grab a stop gap generic top 6 guy at a lower cost, or if that's not in the cards, then status quo is fine with me too, while keeping eyes and ears open for a more enticing opportunity to arise.

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
I always appreciate when posters relay the full info on breaking news. Like who is he playing for, what is the length of the contract, etc. I don’t mean to single you out, many of the recent posts on less mainstream trades or signings were more like reaction posts with partial info, which is annoying when I have no idea what they are reacting to exactly and the info is not easy to find due to the player being marginal.

That's because there is no signing. It's a rumor from Mirtle. Leafs are interested. Roy would be the perfect RD for Rielly.

They have $18m, so they would have $12m to sign 2 more D, a backup goalie and probably at least one forward.

Reactions: Shred and Gustave

Gustave

Feb 15, 2007
Here
You’re right, I was just shooting the shit.

It’s a Mirtle thing, a rumour but I believe we are in the window where contracts are being discussed between agents and GM’s, thus the plethora of contracts ready to go on 12pm sharp on July 1st.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad