HF Habs: Out Of Town Thread: 2024 Off-Season edition

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
I think stamkos ignores the leafs. I think guys around the league know they're a bad spot culturally and aren't going to win anything.

I won't be surprised if we get a semi-attractive free agent because of all the goodwill Hughes has built.

He's from Toronto, so I wouldn't say he would ignore them. He probably wants to play with an elite playmaker and Marner is that. Nylander has been playing with Matthews.

They need to get their D set-up, though, so far they have only Rielly, McCabe & Benoit. They'll add Tanev, but that's not nearly enough. They need another puck mover.

They have $18m in cap space, so they'll have some money to upgrade at forward and get another goalie.

ReHabs

Jan 18, 2022
I'm a big fan of this for Tampa. Moser is a decent 2nd pair guy and Tampa desperately needs some forward prospects like Geekie to restock the deck to try and sneak a late window cup like the 2018 Caps. I think Sergachev is a little overrated and also not the greatest fit for Tampa specifically since he's not a better PP1 option than Hedman and can't really carry his own pairing either. Moving on from that contract helps a lot and I think it was really smart. They can now roll with Hedman McDonagh Moser Cernak and feel good about their top 4 again while also bringing in some quality forward talent. Getting a 2nd for Jeannot was a steal too.

With that said I also don't mind this trade for Utah at all. Sergachev is instantly their best D and they have such a stacked system full of picks and so much cap available that it makes sense for them to add some swagger, and he'll absolutely help their power play. They had the picks to go get Marino to support Sergachev as well, I think it was a good quantity for quality move for them as well. It's fun when there are trades like this that just seem good for both sides. Kinda wish we were in on Marino to be honest.
I think it's a real win-win trade. Sergachev might 'step up' when he's out from under Hedman's shadow and Utah gets (more or less) a potential face of the franchise. Tampa gets pretty good value back and probably doesn't miss a beat with Sergy's departure.

I hope Sergy's injury is healed. I'll always root for him.

Reactions: JoelWarlord

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
If Stamkos leaves Tampa, I think there's a decent chance he ends up here.

3-4yrs at 7.5-8.5M is doable, cap & core-wise.

It'll require jettisoning Anderson (or Gally) & probably Dvorak, but if he can come in and give us 70+ pts next 2yrs & 60+ last 1-2yrs, on top of the leadership, role modelling & winning mindset, he'd be a perfect upgrade and fit to our young core.

The appeal of reuniting with guys that helped him transition from elite prospect to NHL star, whom he has a tight relationship with, plus playing for a legacy franchise, plus joining a group with all the pieces in place to rapidly push into the top tier of the league... Especially with the opportunity to be an impact player/leader in accelerating that ascension (& showing the league he's still a top dog)... Lots of elements make the match a great potential fit.

I won't be shocked to hear that signing announced tomorrow. If so, what will be most interesting is how well KH does in moving Anderson & Dvo

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
If Stamkos leaves Tampa, I think there's a decent chance he ends up here.

3-4yrs at 7.5-8.5M is doable, cap & core-wise.

It'll require jettisoning Anderson (or Gally) & probably Dvorak, but if he can come in and give us 70+ pts next 2yrs & 60+ last 1-2yrs, on top of the leadership, role modelling & winning mindset, he'd be a perfect upgrade and fit to our young core.

The appeal of reuniting with guys that helped him transition from elite prospect to NHL star, whom he has a tight relationship with, plus playing for a legacy franchise, plus joining a group with all the pieces in place to rapidly push into the top tier of the league... Especially with the opportunity to be an impact player/leader in accelerating that ascension (& showing the league he's still a top dog)... Lots of elements make the match a great potential fit.

I won't be shocked to hear that signing announced tomorrow. If so, what will be most interesting is how well KH does in moving Anderson & Dvo
Hockey wise I agree that Stamkos would possibly want to sign in Montreal but family wise I can't see him bringing his young kids out of the US. I don't see it.

Reactions: dinodebino

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
Is that a good return for Sergachev?
Considering his contract yes it is. Moser just turned 24 and he's already a good dman. He definitely has the potential to be a solid 2nd pairing guy. I don't like Geekie personally but he's been drafted 11th overall 2 years ago and he is now 20 and ready to begin his pro journey. They also got a 2nd round draft pick.

This is the type of trade we should have done with Subban. Specially since Subban would have returned a bit more. Return would have probably been a forward drafted high, a b defense prospect and a 1st round draft pick.

I don't get that move. It must be forced by the owner to save money right? With the cap space they have and them not being a prime destination for UFA it makes 0 sense from a hockey perspective. They have like nobody to resign for a while outside of Byram and Tuch next summer too.

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
Hockey wise I agree that Stamkos would possibly want to sign in Montreal but family wise I can't see him bringing his young kids out of the US. I don't see it.
I suspect that one will come down to his partner & her buy in/wishes.

If he isn't signing in Tampa or Florida, I doubt there'd be any hesitation on his part to move the kids to Montreal vs anywhere else on the continent.

Reactions: Tyson

Team_Spirit

95% Elliotte
Jul 3, 2002

1000005460.jpg

Last edited:

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
9goals 118pim Domer fell off

This was so satisfying to watch.

Thanks for that one year Domi but the year after you were complete garbage and then half-assed it in the playoffs. It led to Suzuki on the 1st line and his great progression, so there’s that.

Weltschmerz

Front Running Fan
Apr 22, 2007
I don't get that move. It must be forced by the owner to save money right? With the cap space they have and them not being a prime destination for UFA it makes 0 sense from a hockey perspective. They have like nobody to resign for a while outside of Byram and Tuch next summer too.
Guess Ruff doesn't want him, he is not a team player.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad