Out of Town Scoreboard 2017-18 season (Mod warning: post #6685 3/15)

Status
Not open for further replies.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Oh he was terrible but if I recall he didn't even last 30 games. Weight has been given an entire season, and I still don't think Mac was nearly as horrible as Weight is, particularly his comical defensive tactics.

He was objectively terrible...there was a reason Lemaire came in and said they look like they've forgotten how to play the game and weren't in shape. I mean when you have a team go on a 40-point pace in the first half and then go on a 120-point pace in the second half (with most of the team that won the division the previous year and went to the Finals the year after), that's a pretty big indictment on the coaching that led them to the 40-point pace. They weren't even just losing, they were losing 5-1 like every night. The thirty seconds of lowlights we got on the Pens-Caps' 24/7 HBO series that year were laughable, so was the Eric Boulton hat trick.

I mean the Isles, this is what they are for the most part...I don't think they're massively underachieving like that Devils team did. Slightly underachieving overall and now they've quit on the season.

Last edited:

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Doug Weight has to be the worst NHL coach since the Pierre McGuire error in Hartford. Seriously in my 35 years of watching he may be the absolute worst most hapless coach I have EVER seen. His defensive schemes and coaching would be embarrassing for a high school team much less a freaking NHL one. Unless L&M are crazy or are slumlord owners who don't care Garth and Doug have to be done right after the season ends.

I think this is the only way to keep JT. Why would you want to,stay if the organization stays committed to losers?

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
You never saw the John MacError reign here.
The only thing Johnny Mac had going for him was that we never allowed like 50 shots in a game (maybe not even 40?) and were damn near the league lead in shots against around the time he was fired. So analytics proponents would chalk this up to poor shooting luck/poor goaltending/goaltending luck.

I chalk this up to small sample sizes not showing up in the analytics and the fact that we were in a hole early almost every game (due to suspect goaltending and Marty's left hand becoming detached from his body that year and Moose looking like a really bad signing up until February) and playing from behind.

The truth is, Johnny Mac was always a poor coach, even as an assistant. Our PP took a dive as soon as he came in. it went from like second in the league to like 30th when he came. Then it rose to it's highest since he had been here in the one year he went to coach for Lowell and was no longer an assistant. Even the Gionta 50 goal/Gomez 33 goal/inflated stats/PP season, our percentage was pretty whatever. Is Gionta like a 55-60 goal scorer that year if we had a better power play? Probably not, but imagine if we had a good power play?

I was already a part of the #NeverJohnnyMac club back in 2005 when people were speculating that he'd be the replacement for Robinson or Lou's replacement in 06-07. That speculation continued every year we made a coaching change until he was hired and I always argued that I didn't want him near the bench in an assistant role, much less a head coaching role.

I can't honestly say that I saw us having the season (or the start that we did) we had when Johnny Mac was announced as the hire. If you would have told me ''We're gonna finish that season with 84 points this year'' or whatever we finished with in the end, I would have said ''Yeah, that's believable with Johnny Mac as the head coach''. Only I didn't think that the way we would have gotten to 84 points was with Johnny Mac coaching us through December to being on pace for the worst record among a non-expansion team ever, while Lemaire took us to being on pace for being the best team in years through the second half to get us up to 84 points. I would have just thought we'd be bumping around at mediocrity all year long. We also had the cap troubles, poor defensemen dressed, Langenbrunner falling off a cliff, Marty and Kovalchuk both having their worst season ever up to that point, Parise practically out the whole year, etc, which made things worse, but he was a very bad head coach. Too many players had career worsts that year for the coach not to be terrible.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Doug Weight has to be the worst NHL coach since the Pierre McGuire error in Hartford. Seriously in my 35 years of watching he may be the absolute worst most hapless coach I have EVER seen. His defensive schemes and coaching would be embarrassing for a high school team much less a freaking NHL one. Unless L&M are crazy or are slumlord owners who don't care Garth and Doug have to be done right after the season ends.
Get a load of this.

Fast forward to the 7:25 mark, if you want a REAL laugh. Keep this bookmarked for if you're ever feeling sad about something in the future and you need to laugh it off.

I watch this guy's videos sometimes, but he's all over the place and flip flops a lot. A 2 game winning/losing streak is enough to get this guy to 180 on things. Now he's saying Garth should be fired, yet he had a video earlier this season saying that Garth Snow hasn't been that bad as a GM. He was laughing at Florida and how they won't be a contender the next 5 years, when he did a video on ''What teams can win a cup in the next 5 years'' earlier this season. When he got to Florida, he didn't even elaborate, he just shook his head and said ''NO!.... It's just.... no!'' then moved right on to the next team. Now he thinks Florida is teh best thing ever and that they're gonna make the playoffs and we're gonna be the victim of it.

You really NEED to watch this though to appreciate it, but to sum it up he said ''If Garth Snow keeps his job after this year, I will be STUNNED! Doug Weight may lose his job as well, because they missed the playoffs, but I think Doug Weight's a good coach and if he loses his job with the Islanders, I think he'll bounce back and find a job somewhere else''. Then goes on to suggest that Chiarelli will hire Weight because he's a former Oiler and maybe the Islanders get Todd McLellan LOL. He was straight faced when he said Doug Weight was a good coach. You just can't fake something like that while keeping a straight face.

Reactions: sabremike

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
By the way, if I knew how to put spells on people and work voodoo, I would put a curse on the Capitals to not win a single game or a single point for the rest of the season and miss the playoffs.

They're a waste of a spot, that's all they are.

Reactions: sabremike

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I don't think Bleed sleeps
My sleep is all messed up. I slept for much of the afternoon before our game haha.

I usually sleep 3-4 hours at night, then take a two hour nap, sometimes longer when I get off work. Sometimes shorter when we play at 7:00 PM.

Reactions: theoptimist

Goptor

Jun 30, 2016
Johnny Mac is potentially the worst coaching tenure of all time. They were on pace to be the worst non-expansion team by points and on pace for the lowest goals per game in a season since the 1920s. The only argument on his behalf is that there were some really bad luck with injuries. I believe there was a game or two where they had 6 injured Defensemen.

He is a good example of why you do not bring in an inexperienced coach unless you have a lot of support for them. Bad things started to happen and he had no idea what to do so he just dug a bigger hole.

Reactions: Bleedred

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
He was objectively terrible...there was a reason Lemaire came in and said they look like they've forgotten how to play the game and weren't in shape. I mean when you have a team go on a 40-point pace in the first half and then go on a 120-point pace in the second half (with most of the team that won the division the previous year and went to the Finals the year after), that's a pretty big indictment on the coaching that led them to the 40-point pace. They weren't even just losing, they were losing 5-1 like every night. The thirty seconds of lowlights we got on the Pens-Caps' 24/7 HBO series that year were laughable, so was the Eric Boulton hat trick.

I mean the Isles, this is what they are for the most part...I don't think they're massively underachieving like that Devils team did. Slightly underachieving overall and now they've quit on the season.
You are badly underselling how bad Weight is. Keep this in mind: the first 2 months of the season saw the team post a pretty good record. This was completely by accident as the team was just as horrible and dysfunctional as they were after that period (and all the metrics were proof of this). What prevented them from cratering from the start was their top two lines playing completely out of their minds, which both covered up how horrible the team was being coached and was also completely unsustainable. If you take that 2 month period out of the equation they are the worst team in the league.
The reason the team is so horrible is because of their defense. Talent wise they aren't going to remind anyone of the 90's Devils on D but being historically bad is because of how embarrassingly bad they are structured and coached. Perfect example from last night: the winning goal was allowed on a 20 foot slapshot from the point that was a 100% clean look with nobody trying at all to impeed or block it. Weight said that his defense played that play exactly how they were supposed to. That's how you end up with a historically bad defense. If the team had even just a garden variety bad defense they'd be in a playoff spot, and probably somewhat comfortably.

Reactions: OmNomNom

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I honestly think Bleed has a tub of espresso coffee that he has directly injected into his veins so he's able to go 24/7.
Haha I actually don’t even drink coffee at all!

Ever since I got a smart phone (December of 2013) it was the worst thing. I could post from wherever I wanted. I would always bring my laptop into work in the past, for really slow days. I’m usually missing for long periods between 8:00-5:00 PM, as I’m working, but I work a job that allows me to post a bit on slow days, like we’re having right now.

mtnet

LGD!
Oct 31, 2014
I don't see any chance MTL wins, already assuming they'll roll over to FLA. Maybe they'll lose to OTT tomorrow due to back-to-back factor though wouldn't bet on it. If all else fails I could see CBJ beating them on Thursday but in the meantime we've really got to beat SJS.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I don't see any chance MTL wins, already assuming they'll roll over to FLA. Maybe they'll lose to OTT tomorrow due to back-to-back factor though wouldn't bet on it. If all else fails I could see CBJ beating them on Thursday but in the meantime we've really got to beat SJS.
I didn’t think Edmonton would beat them in a road matinee game either, but Montreal is so pathetic right now. I can’t think of a team that’s currently worse than them right now.

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
They damn well better make the playoffs. Finishing 9th is literally the worst possible place to finish.

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
DD's OOT Scoreboard Predictions for Monday March 19

Nash 5
Buff 2

Cbj 3
Boston 2 OT

FLA 3
MTL 1 (Best Bet)

Minny 4
LAK 3 SO

Zona 4
Calg 1

Czech Trio

Aug 29, 2009
They damn well better make the playoffs. Finishing 9th is literally the worst possible place to finish.
Well, being back in the absolute cellar would be really worse but I know what you mean.

Look, I can't worry about the next 10-12 game stretch because who thought NJ would beat Nashville, Vegas, and LA to start the Western swing?

3 teams for 4 spots? Enjoy the ride, I like our chances. This is essentially the play-in first round of the PO. Remember, NJ is playing with house money. Philadelphia and Columbus have all the pressure not to miss, and probably Florida over NJ too.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Florida is still the team with all the pressure as they remain on the outside. They are also a poor road team, and now starts the gauntlet of lots of games with few days off.

They laid two eggs just last week to cream of the crap teams.

I can see them losing one of the two in Canada and the Jackets game and realistically end their season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad