Our UFAs: Who do you want to stay and who do you want to go?

Rivet52

Oct 10, 2008
Buffalo, NY
I know there is a deadline thread and I know there is a roster building thread but I feel this question is separate from each and it warrants it's own.

So in terms of just our pending UFAs, who would you like to keep and who would you like to see either traded or let to walk?

Note: Let's please stay away from the whole "good players ruin the tank argument" here. I'm asking this in terms of what you think is best for the team in both the short-term and long-term.

Matt Moulson: Re-sign. He'll probably have a high price tag in the extension department but it seems that he's open to staying and likes Buffalo. Even if we do have to overpay to re-sign him, as long as it's not extreme, why not try to re-sign a guy who will score you ~30 goals a year and who has fit in and become a leader on this team? True, he might get a good deadline return, but if we can keep him, why wouldn't we? If he doesn't want to stay, trade him to get something but by all accounts, it seems he's open to remaining here.

Steve Ott: Re-sign. Can we really afford to trade three captains in a calendar year? By all accounts, Ott loves this team and city. He's acknowledged that he's fully prepared to go through a rebuild. He is one of the few positives on the current roster and is a fan favorite. I'd be upset to ship him out even though he'd fetch a nice return. He and Moulson should be part of the solution; they aren't part of the problem here. I'd give him a raise without hesitation. He needs to be kept.

Cody McCormick: Really, I'm not sure. I like him but he's not a guy I must keep. He probably holds little-to-no trade value. I won't be upset if we let him walk but keeping him for cheap wouldn't upset me either.

Zenon Konopka: This guy is 63.3% at faceoffs this year, yet he isn't on the NHL.com faceoffs stats (is this an error?). He's gotten into a couple fights. I know he took a few bad penalties (goalie interference at least once or twice) upon arriving but has since played well to me. I don't understand why he's being scratched. In the Phoenix game, it was nice to see him out there in the dying seconds and winning a faceoff clean. For what he does, I want him re-signed. He'll be cheap and even as a spare forward he's worth it. Again, I'm not quite sure why he's being scratched other than to see what the young guys can do and even then, I'd much rather play him over Scott or Ellis.

John Scott: I don't honestly see a point in keeping him around. Nolan has told him to cut down the staged fighting and playing him at this point seems even more useless than it did when he fought. He's got no trade value.

Linus Omark: I think Omark is done in the NHL and will head back to Europe. I just don't see him in our plans next year and in any NHL teams' plans for that matter. We rolled the dice and lost a late pick. No harm done.

Matt D'Agostini: As a depth player to fill out the roster, I might be on board to re-signing him. He's not been terrible. It'll probably depend on who else is out there but I'd be okay with keeping him around on a one-year contract if it's cheap.

Henrik Tallinder: To me, Hank's not the player he once was. If we can get something for him at the deadline, I wouldn't be disappointed to see him go. He might fetch a fourth, maybe a third if we're lucky. If he's open to staying I might want to keep him but he won't be making what he made on the last contract and his role should be bottom pairing at this point.

Alexander Sulzer: Holds no trade value. If for depth purposes or for Rochester, I'd be aboard keeping him around but he's had a bad season in the NHL and shouldn't be playing even over players like McNabb and Ruhwedel.

Ryan Miller: This really comes down to what Miller wants. If he really wants to move on, I hope we move him at the deadline and be done with it. If one of the best goalies in the world right now wants to stay put, I hope we look into making that happen too. I just hope he lets us know his intentions before the deadline so we know what we're doing and can get something decent if this really is the end. I think Miller can be part of the solution but like Moulson and Ott, it only works if the interest is mutual. If he informs the Sabres that he's leaving via free agency if not moved beforehand, please move him and get it over with.

Jamie Tardif: He's been a good player for the Amerks so for them I'd keep him around.

Kevin Porter: See Tardif. If he's kept around I don't want to see him in a Sabres jersey on a regular basis like earlier this season.

For those UFAs you want to re-sign, how much would you offer them?

enthusiast

cybersabre his prophet
Oct 20, 2009
Trade anyone who can get you a 2nd or better, re-sign as necessary from the rest. I'd like to see Omark get a shot next year if the plan is to suck anyway, as there's zero risk there.

Savitar

AKA Jose
Jan 15, 2013
Blow this team up and stock up on young assets and picks. If rather that then risking them to free agency

Kyndig

Jan 3, 2012
Trade anyone who can get you a 2nd or better, re-sign as necessary from the rest. I'd like to see Omark get a shot next year if the plan is to suck anyway, as there's zero risk there.

Yup. We're gonna need bodies for next years tank and I want Omark to be one of them

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad