Speculation: Our new Captain

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

MOGlLNY

Jan 5, 2008
Yeah I think it's obvious it's Dahlin and Lindy saying he was on the phone with him for an hour+ the day he was hired makes that even more obvious. I imagine they want to do a presser for it or something so are waiting until he's back in the US.

KeepKane

May 6, 2015
I'm going with Dahlin as the C

Home A's: Tuch, Cozens
Road A's: Thompson, Power

These are the 5 guys signed long term (Tuch will be) and the 5 that need to step up and lead this team in every situation. Power might be the surprise here but I think he takes a huge jump this year. A 6'6 smooth skating defensemen that can see the ice and handle the puck is a unicorn. Game will slow down this yr.

Reactions: buffalowing88

buffalowing88

Aug 11, 2008
Charlotte, NC

These are the 5 guys signed long term (Tuch will be) and the 5 that need to step up and lead this team in every situation. Power might be the surprise here but I think he takes a huge jump this year. A 6'6 smooth skating defensemen that can see the ice and handle the puck is a unicorn. Game will slow down this yr.

I'm a little underwhelmed whenever we do the rotating or home/away assistant captains. Feels like the best teams identify their 3 guys with a letter and it gives them an identity.

Dahlin as C is a given and I think Tuch as an A is a given, too.

The other A in theory should go to Cozens but I don't know if they want to put added pressure on him right now. Samuelsson would be great for it but he doesn't stay on the ice. Thompson doesn't seem to want to be in a vocal role.

So maybe Zucker? He has playoff experience and is one of the oldest guys in the room now. Krebs has the personality for it but he's pretty much been squeezed out of any significant role here. Power is definitely not ready for it.

TageGod

Aug 31, 2022

I would put Thompson as A at home, he was definitely a home goal scorer in 22/23. Tuch as a tone setter is good for road games.

Reactions: KeepKane

paulmm3

Mar 29, 2014
I still have a hard time with how bad Tuch was for the first few months of last season. It looked like he spent last off season sitting on his couch smoking pot and eating cheetos. I perceive it as maybe a reflection on his off-season work ethic, and if so, I want him nowhere near the captaincy. It's entirely possible there's something I'm just missing like he had a nagging injury or some big family thing kept him from approaching last summer's training like he should. Or maybe he did all the work and just randomly had a bad few months. But man, there were far too many games he just wasn't moving his feet at all.

People close to the team know far more about this than I do and if they make Tuch captain or give him a letter, I'll assume it's a well thought out decision and there's good reason for it. But that's where I'm at for now. I think the C clearly goes to Dahlin.

Reactions: KeepKane

SundherDome

Y'all have to much power
Jul 6, 2009
Minneapolis,MN
I still have a hard time with how bad Tuch was for the first few months of last season. It looked like he spent last off season sitting on his couch smoking pot and eating cheetos. I perceive it as maybe a reflection on his off-season work ethic, and if so, I want him nowhere near the captaincy. It's entirely possible there's something I'm just missing like he had a nagging injury or some big family thing kept him from approaching last summer's training like he should. Or maybe he did all the work and just randomly had a bad few months. But man, there were far too many games he just wasn't moving his feet at all.

People close to the team know far more about this than I do and if they make Tuch captain or give him a letter, I'll assume it's a well thought out decision and there's good reason for it. But that's where I'm at for now. I think the C clearly goes to Dahlin.
Wife was close to birth and then gave birth in December. My guess is his priorities were elsewhere which is exactly where they should have been.

Satanphonehome

Jan 4, 2015
Thompson is the guy everyone in that locker room looks at to step up when the team needs a big play.

He’s also one of the oldest and most experienced of the young core they’ve been building.

He’s a guy who has set a great example for battling through adversity be it injury or early career struggles and expectations..

He doesn’t make excuses and accepts responsibility.

I’ll be a little surprised if he’s not one of the As, along with Tuch, with Dahlin the C.

ForsbergMoDo21

Feb 19, 2008
Rochester NY
Thompson is the guy everyone in that locker room looks at to step up when the team needs a big play.

He’s also one of the oldest and most experienced of the young core they’ve been building.

He’s a guy who has set a great example for battling through adversity be it injury or early career struggles and expectations..

I’ll be a little surprised if he’s not one of the As, along with Tuch, with Dahlin the C.

Not to mention it's not a bad thing to elevate a guy who did things the right way. Other players coming into the organization can see his struggles and how he went down to the AHL to work on his game and came back a better player for it. Might help create more buy-in and confidence in the process for some prospects?

MOGlLNY

Jan 5, 2008

I agree that Tage will be an A. His interviews are quite thoughtful as well and he’s pretty blunt. I think he flies under the radar for a leader with this group

HOOats

born Ruffian
Nov 19, 2007
City of Buffalo
Wife was close to birth and then gave birth in December. My guess is his priorities were elsewhere which is exactly where they should have been.
Eh, I don't buy the priorities point. If you have an executive-level job that pays $4.75M per year and can't perform it with a newborn in the mix, figure out the +9 math on how to have the baby in the summer. Or else bargain six months of paternity leave into the next CBA.

Oh and Dahlin is the next captain obviously.

Reactions: Hudini

SundherDome

Y'all have to much power
Jul 6, 2009
Minneapolis,MN
Eh, I don't buy the priorities point. If you have an executive-level job that pays $4.75M per year and can't perform it with a newborn in the mix, figure out the +9 math on how to have the baby in the summer. Or else bargain six months of paternity leave into the next CBA.

Oh and Dahlin is the next captain obviously.
We have zero insight into their pregnancy plans and that is 100% okay. His priorities should be focused on his spouse and then his newborn. He still has a job to do that pays him but being on the road, not getting paternity leave, and trying to make sure your spouse and child have everything they need AND making sure you are present for all milestones is tough to juggle. Zero issue on my end

Jacob582

Oct 16, 2012
FWIW, former player/current podcaster stated that he heard it was Dahlin as captain and Tuch as alternate. They didn't know who else.

edit for accuracy

Last edited:

michaelsaas

Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Beaumont, TX
Fwiw, Mathew Fairburn (the athletic) feels Cozens would be a good captain some day.
I also think he would be some day. I feel right now he would understand he has to earn that and it could motivate him more. I think TT would be a good alt to Dahls with Tuch.

HogtownSabresfan

Jan 13, 2010

Yeah, no. Work balance is important. You prioritize your family, but don't cry if others pass you at the workplace and become leaders.

BloFan4Life

Jul 8, 2009
NY
Dahlin would be a mistake. The guy already cracks under pressure.

I also don't like when the best player is burden by something that requires more responsibility than other sport captains. Tuch is the perfect mix of great leader, but a player that isn't expected to also be the best player on team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad