Low Effort GDT Ottberia Senators vs Leafs

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Really good game from the Yak; Much more composed than I thought he would be.. and he just played his game.
GYIAGo7WoAAb5DU

Carl Karlsson

Jan 15, 2021
Great to see the rookie look good in preseason...he got some high end skill

Jenik> Amadio, Gregor
Totally agree for Yak ! Great game by Jenik, but will have to give more time to see if he keeps this up (not expecting this many points of course) and how the other two play moving forward. Technically Amadio should be the better player of the three but wasn't tonight

Reactions: Cosmix

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
It's tough to judge when you play the Leafs because they coast on their offensive talent and when things get tough in the playoffs they fade.

I think it's a good first game with a new coach and a relatively thin lineup. We had breakdowns that led to Toronto goals but overall we did reasonably well against most of Toronto's regular seasons firepower.

That overtime was wild. Nylander seemed like the only threat. Matthews was missing wide, Marner was making horrifically bad passes including one turnover and then he didn't fight hard on the GWG as the last defender. I really like Nylander, too bad he re-signed as a Leaf.

It's also preseason. The stars are out there to get their reps and warm up for the real games. I wouldn't expect all out effort by Matthews (or any other big names out there).

But a teenage kid in his first camp and first preseason game, being able to put on a show in OT...that's something. I'll bet his nerves were all over the place all night...but he still showed his stuff.

Yak still has a long way to go in his development, but you can see why he was a top 10 rated kid in the draft. In a few years when he's bigger and stronger and has his skating smoothed out...he's going to be a beast.

WallyD

Nov 20, 2022
A mostly AHL roster playing against the full roster of a "cup contender" should look like that the whole game.
Quite surprised at the TO lineup tonight. Usually in preseason games you see lots of prized rookies and some PTOs added to a pared down regular season lineup. Generally one sees maybe 60-70% of the regular season lineup out there because coaches and management want to evaluate some possibles. They also want to protect their sure things in meaningless games. The Leafs had the entire Core-4 out there, Marner, Mathews, Nylander and Tavares out there. Why? They fielded what amounts to a near regular season team, but for a few players? Very strange!

DackellDuck

Sep 20, 2024
Quite surprised at the TO lineup tonight. Usually in preseason games you see lots of prized rookies and some PTOs added to a pared down regular season lineup. Generally one sees maybe 60-70% of the regular season lineup out there because coaches and management want to evaluate some possibles. They also want to protect their sure things in meaningless games. The Leafs had the entire Core-4 out there, Marner, Mathews, Nylander and Tavares out there. Why? They fielded what amounts to a near regular season team, but for a few players? Very strange!

Usually teams play their good players at home in the pre-season and the AHLers on the road.

I expect us to do the same.

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal

Yeah I honestly don't get why they iced almost their full roster for the first preseason game. What's the point?

Reactions: Icelevel

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.STEVE★
Jul 26, 2005
It's also preseason. The stars are out there to get their reps and warm up for the real games. I wouldn't expect all out effort by Matthews (or any other big names out there).
I mean... it's not that much different from the last time they were on the ice:

Marner just coasting back in both those goals, as their goalie gets beat 1-on-1 backhand.

DackellDuck

Sep 20, 2024
There is a league requirement to ice a certain quantity of NHL players each preseason game.

Yes that’s why Pinto, Chabot, Batherson and Amadio were out there tonight. I think you have to play “7 veterans”. I don’t know what the game requirement is to be considered a veteran.

But I bet we get a similar looking lineup, in terms of regulars, to what the Leafs had tonight in our first home game.

Tkachuk, Stu, Ullmark, Sanderson, Giroux, Perron, etc.

Carl Karlsson

Jan 15, 2021
Don't you love the highlight of the game, all goals they show are guess what ... all the Leafs ... other than of course the beauty winner ! Gotta love Sportsnet, they should buy the Toronto Sport Network, homers !!

Reactions: albator71

Neil Patrick Harris

Now sponsored by Zoom™
Aug 23, 2008
Ottawa
I agree. Jenik has impressed.

Amadio and Gregor have depressed! Not the vets we have been looking for. (Paraphrasing Obi Wan Kenobi)
Would be completely on-brand for some of our bottom six vet signings to come in and play like they're just happy to be cashing a paycheque.

Stephan and Paquette send their regards.

Reactions: Cosmix

Puikiou

Oct 15, 2013
FORWARDS (from best to worst)

1. Jenik: Owner of the Leafs tonight and it wasn’t just the points either. Physical, bull in a China shop type. Keep going, we’re intrigued.

2. Reinhart: After all these years and all these training camps, it’s the first time he’s moving the needle. He was never bad in the past, just your regular, average, vanilla player. Tonight, he looked like a young Colin Greening. Big, smart, strong as a horse. There just might be something there.

3. Kulemin: LOVING the old man? He’s surprisingly fast and his experience oozes through the smart plays he makes all over the ice. As perplexing as the PTO was, he would NOT be a bad option as an insurance policy 13 or 14F (if this game is anything to go by).

4. Amadio: Another veteran whose experience shines through on the ice. Nothing is rushed with him. Every play is made with a purpose and every stride is taken with a thought. He’s not the fastest, nor the biggest or the most skilled, but he gets where he needs to be and is solid along the boards. Steady, steady, steady… With enough brain power to create offense. Dollar store Mark Stone. Good pickup.

5. Batherson: Took shifts on the PK. Looks much more engaged than last year. Still electric with the puck on his stick while clearly not giving it his all. He’s primed to have a career year.

6. Crookshank: He’s being given a prime opportunity in a scoring slot and has yet to capitalize on the half dozens chances Pinto-Batherson set him up for through two games. The tools (skating and shot) are there, but he clearly needs to take a breath and embrace his chance.

7. Gregor: He’s extremely fast, but what else?

8. MacEwan: Didn’t realize he was playing until the fight. Not great, not bad, just not sure he helped his case tonight, as far as making the team goes.

9. Pinto: Looked slow and sluggish all night. But hey, he’s not fighting for a spot and it’s pre-season. Won a bunch of key faceoffs in the defensive zone.

10. Halliday: VERY muted (and borderline bad) outing compared to the intrasquad game. Though, in all fairness, it was his first “official” professional game. Not all rookies are Carter Yakemchuks…

11. Gaudette: Same old tired story. Elite offensive tools. Zero defensive awareness and slow as molasses.

12. Bourgault: Awful. Made a solid play behind Murray’s net on the 5th goal, but that was about it, in a sea of net negatives.

Reactions: albator71

BoardsofCanada

Aug 26, 2009
G.T.A.
Sebrango: love his feistiness
Kleven: nothing fancy, safe and simple
Jenik: who knew we had a super star on our hands
Reinhart: didn't even consider him a serious prospect but he was involved and looked like he belonged
Halliday: didn't create much but didn't look out of place
Yakemchuk: smooth and confident
MacEwan: loved the hustle
Crookshank: good hustle
Gregor: I think he'll be a great PKer

The only two players I was not impressed with:
Addison: competent on the PP but liability on D. Most D put out fires, Addison pours gas on fires.
Sogaard: he has potential but I think he battles nerves. He doesn't inspire confidence.. not yet at least.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad