Ottawa's Next Whipping Boy?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
Terrible thread. Like the very worst kind. Shame on the OP.

Margaret Trudeau*

I'm starting to dislike Ryan so I'll probably start posting fake trade rumours about him.

I don't think anyone could dislike Karlsson, unless they don't understand hockey.

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
A big **** you goes out to whoever started this poll. Why are we concerned who the next whipping boy is? We should have some confidence in our players, not try and run them out of the city.

Round of applause for Sens fans.

I dont think the poll is trying to choose a whipping boy, more guessing on who the next one is going to be.

You know there will be one. It's Ottawa! We'd crucify people on parliament hill if they let us

Benjamin

Differently Financed
Jun 14, 2010
yes
Karlsson will get a ton spite whipping. Deserved or undeserved. Sad because he's the best player the Sens have ever had, by far.

Ill go with Phillips and Melnyk.

dingbatz

Apr 20, 2013
I think if the team wins a lot, the fans will be happy. And if the team loses a lot, the fans will be upset. And I think if certain players are putting up points, the fans will be happy with them. And if certain players aren't putting up points, the fans will be upset with them. And I also think that if Crosby puts up numbers like Matt Kassian's over the next few years and Pittsburgh fails to make the playoffs as a result, Pens fans will want to run him out of town.

Rocket science.

Big Papi

Who's Mel Bridgeman?
Jul 10, 2009
Quebec
www.instagram.com
Why is Phillips not on this list? There was alot of backlash on the radio shows after that stupid signing.

I said talented players... its because of all the pluggers (i.e. people who don't know much about Hockey) in the Ottawa fanbase that want the team to trade for the Ott's of the NHL instead of the Hemsky, that Murray essentially signed Phillips for 2 years.

no disrepsect to what he has done for the community though...

Benjamin

Differently Financed
Jun 14, 2010
yes
I said talented players... its because of all the pluggers (i.e. people who don't know much about Hockey) in the Ottawa fanbase that want the team to trade for the Ott's of the NHL instead of the Hemsky, that Murray essentially signed Phillips for 2 years.

no disrepsect to what he has done for the community though...

Then why is Cowen on the list?

Big Papi

Who's Mel Bridgeman?
Jul 10, 2009
Quebec
www.instagram.com
Terrible thread. Like the very worst kind. Shame on the OP.

I'm the OP, and I guess people have not gotten the sarcasm intended by the original post, even though I thought it was fairly obvious....

I don't think its a terrible post, because I've seen what elements of this fanbase having been doing to quality players on the Sens for years, the latest happens to be Spezza (see Redden, Bonk, Alfredsson, Hossa previously to varying degrees). I don't think we should trade Spezza, because it's hard to imagine getting anything in return that brings what he brings, but of course you have 'fans' that solely blame him for Ottawa's defensive issues last season, and vilify the poor man, and I think its shameful. (Note: Im not saying the right deal can't be made, just don't think a firesale of a top player is smart)

I wish that shame just stopped at the back pages of the Ottawa Sun, but it doesn't. How many posts on this board are dedicated to 'fans' making the same argument over and over and over again, saying that Spezza should be gone. Many of you have somehow made it personal, and its embarrassing. While I can't understand why you hate the guy so much, I wish you would stop and think how this gets perceived by others in the league. Spezza is gonna make money be it here or elsewhere come next summer. Fans berating the guy will do nothing more than make this city an unattractive option for all those all star NHLer's that are Canadian-phobic when it comes to anything other than playing for the National Team (Nash, etc). Do you REALLY want to be lumped in with the Toronto's of the sportsworld? Where is all the character built on the backs on the humiliating early years?

If we sign a dumb contract like the Clarkson one, and it doesn't pan out, blame management, not the player per se.
With Spezza, his cap hit is high, but he's getting like $4 million this year, that is a BARGAIN. Not to mention that Spezza has been a loyal player for us for over what 8 years? What is the point of calling him out? He's not pulling a Yashin and *****ing about being here....but even if he did, given the treatment he has received I can't blame him.

In short, fans play a part in the make up of a team remember that, and stop MAKING things personal about players you subjectively think are underachieving

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad